TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 12, 2024, 03:38:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How long can YOU listen to Sloth?  (Read 23342 times)
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2007, 12:44:41 PM »

My favourite version by a mile is the Live Convention one. Especially Swarbs solo spot which is a couple of minutes of sheer musical perfection - the band firing on all cylinders. This line up of the band was the first I ever saw and this might explain my love for 'em. Of course, the studio original is the most important, but of all the live versions there is none to even get close to the excellence of the Live Convention version.

It's only just over eleven minutes long, but says it all in just over half the time they have spent on it in later years. Twenty minutes is just way too long. Which is why I left it off the Oslo CD...

T-R

Interesting how tastes differ, because I find the longer the better and the Live Convention version is my least favourite (in fact, that is my least favouritte line up) I quite like the Philly Folk Festival 1970 version, but I really like Cropredy 97. Let's hope this years is even better!

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2007, 01:18:43 PM »

Ha.. that's cos time gets shorter as you get older Ollie...  Grin Grin Grin

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
ollythedolly
Grownup
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Oxfordshire

One more time with feeling

« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2007, 01:36:54 PM »

the best sloth for me is the 25th Anniversary. Pure quality from Peggy, and the RT/JD guitar off is great as well! The acoustic version on the Swarb box set is interesting - mainly because it is different!
But if one comes on on my ipod I will listen to the first minute, take it out of my pocket, unlock it and skip forward to the next track! have to be in the mood for it.
Olly.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2007, 04:31:52 PM »

My favourite version by a mile is the Live Convention one. Especially Swarbs solo spot which is a couple of minutes of sheer musical perfection - the band firing on all cylinders. This line up of the band was the first I ever saw and this might explain my love for 'em. Of course, the studio original is the most important, but of all the live versions there is none to even get close to the excellence of the Live Convention version.

It's only just over eleven minutes long, but says it all in just over half the time they have spent on it in later years. Twenty minutes is just way too long. Which is why I left it off the Oslo CD...

T-R
which, once again, begs the question what are you going to do with it Thor?
a cd with a 20 minute sloth or perhaps a download?

The Dude abides
MarkC
is no Snoop Dogg

« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2007, 06:58:43 PM »

I have said elsewhere that I have a playlist on my Ipod entirely comprised of (I think) every available version of Sloth. I listen to it regularly. To me there is infinite variety within those performances and it never gets boring.  Smiley

Have you got the yet-to-be-released-on-CD live Sloth from the Live At The LA Troubadour on there?  It's not the same version as on House Full.  I keep searching for a cassette of the original album so that I can get it transfered to CDR.

Jules

Sadly not. I did have access to a vinyl copy until recently but regrettably that ship has sailed.

By the way, The Wounded Whale is also probably in my top 10 Fairport songs and I deeply miss the magical Cropredy performances of it but whilst I can understand Sloth not bing to everyone's taste, I really cannot accept a categorisation of it as "trite" Mark.

That's OK...I didn't expect many here to agree with me!  Smiley
Pat Helms
Long live Freewheelin' Franklin!!

Loc: E. TENNESSEE

Often wrong.....never in doubt

« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2007, 08:08:28 PM »

Instead of "trite", perhaps redundancy can be the main criticism for it.  The sweet&sour repetition of that bizarre chord progression gains quite a bit of momentum.  Its like trying to stop a train.

My favorite is Cropredy '82.
RichardH

Loc: London N19

« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2007, 08:55:28 PM »

The doctor with the German name on RT's "Read about love" might have something to say about this.

It's to do with resolution and climax. You want the noodling to finish. But you quite like it.

"She's run away, she's run away".

O yeah baby...

And on that note, have a nice weekend.

R
Pat Helms
Long live Freewheelin' Franklin!!

Loc: E. TENNESSEE

Often wrong.....never in doubt

« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2007, 11:21:59 PM »

I think you......nailed it!  Grin
Paolo

Loc: Parma, ITALY

Less than all can not satisfy man

« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2007, 04:00:51 PM »

Well, dear board from beyond the sea, basically I long long improvisations, especially when played by our guys. Then, I really long to hear the longest Sloth ever, let's say, half an hour and more, with every solo you may imagine, elecrtic guitar, bass, fiddle, mandolin.

All the best from a ever missing Cropredy fiend

paolo
abby (tank girl)
never felt happy about quinoa
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Finally settled in my own pad

« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2007, 07:10:49 AM »

is there a prize for this??
cos i'll listen to it indefinitely, if it's gonna be worthwhile!!!

(what? whaddaya mean, that's not what it means??? o bugger.....)

it'll be fine.......
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: