TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 04, 2024, 08:42:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best Fairport gig - ever  (Read 22704 times)
Pugwash
Left hand down a bit
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: The East Midland Sea, currently.

The star formerly known as Gareth

« on: May 27, 2007, 12:29:41 PM »

Right just to celebrate the 40th birthday, what has been your best Fairport gig ever?

I can think of lots of brilliant ones with many different lineups but my fav, that I would really like to go back to and do again, was in a large tent in the grounds of Thoresby Park, Notts in the summer of 1979.

Simon, Peggy, Bruce, and Swarb. Just brilliant especially Swarb pushing buttons on a massive stomp box during Sloth. Heaven!

Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 12:33:36 PM »

Having only been to 4 (is that it?) gigs, I would have to say last year at Cropredy, just because it was my first Cropredy. Although the 06 gig at Cambridge was pretty good. BTW, my view may change by the end of the year. Something tells me one of their best gigs is yet to come....

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2007, 01:32:15 PM »

best???
probably the 9 nine up at the hardrock in stretford although thers been loads of belters
a particular favourite being the FAC gig at the band on the wall in 2000/2001? this being the first time id seen them bar cropredy 97  since the split in 79

The Dude abides
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2007, 01:39:00 PM »

Not sure quite what 'best' means...but favourite would probably be the first few times I saw them in the early 80's at Wimbledon theatre - the SN, BR, DP, DS lineup - along with an honourable mention for the 25th Anniversary show (with Chris on fiddle) at Cropredy '92....

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2007, 02:05:59 PM »

I was at the vast majority of those Dave mentions above, & I agree that those are probly amongst my favourite.

Johnny Jones was 'resident' at the theatre in those days, hence the regulatrity of gigs at Wimbledon.

Anne T
I'm obviously missing the point here

Loc: Berkshire

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2007, 06:43:40 PM »

I guess it would have to be the first time I saw them, which unfortunately was only three years ago (in Basingstoke). I say unfortunately, because I can regret all the time I could have been liking them, had I known of them earlier! But better late than never. I went along not knowing what I would hear, expecting it to be possibly mildly entertaining, and came away with the zeal of a convert (and clutching a Cropredy leaflet).
PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2007, 08:26:55 PM »

A lot depends on who you were with and what was going on in your own life etc etc. . .but for me five gigs (out of the many I've seen) really stand out.

October 1970, Leicester de Montfort Hall, Full House line-up: the first time I'd seen them live. Life changing (really) for a 15-year old lad.

June 1975, Albert Hall. Sandy, Swarb, Jerry, Peggy, Trevor and Bruce. Sublime.

August 1979, Cropredy. When we really thought it was farewell. End of an era.

Late 1985 (?) Wimbledon Theatre - the re-formed band with Maart and Ric. Wasn't expecting much (as a big Swarb fan), but completely blew me away.

1992 - 25th anniversary gig at Cropredy. Everything about this was perfect. (Hats off to Chris Leslie!)

If I had to choose just one to take with me, Kirsty. . .well I guess 92, but I have a sneaky suspicion a certain couple of days in August this year might just come close.
Woodpecker

Loc: Western Edge of The Black Country

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2007, 09:08:13 PM »

'69 Fairfield Hall Croydon L&L  One of my first live shows and still one of the best.  Life changing!
Can't wait 'til August!  (You'd think at my age I could handle the excitement better)

Keep a green tree in your heart and perhaps a singing bird will come.    Chinese proverb.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2007, 09:13:34 PM »

I was a relative latecomer so sadly never saw the band pre "the split". But in the last 20 years or so I have probably seen them a hundred times. I agree about Cropredy 92 and also loved 97 but excluding Cropredy there is one particular gig that really stands out in my memory.

Gosport Festival 1992.

A lot of the best Fairport performances I have seen seem to have been born of adversity. Broken legs, lost voices, flu and Peggy's well documented troubles a few years ago all seem to have made the band work harder on stage in a bid maybe to snatch triumph from the jaws of disaster. So it was in Gosport in 92. It was just after Ric's window incident so the gig was performed by the short lived Nicol, Pegg, Maart, DM, Leslie line up. It was a hot day in a crowded tent and Fairport played with the fire and electricity of men on a mission. The audience were energised in a way I have never seen outside of Cropredy, aided no doubt by it being an all standing gig. Fabulous.

Honourable mention too for the valedictory performance at Cropredy in 2004, reducing me to tears when we all thought that it might be the last time.
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2007, 09:16:40 PM »

'69 Fairfield Hall Croydon L&L  One of my first live shows and still one of the best.  Life changing!
Can't wait 'til August!  (You'd think at my age I could handle the excitement better)

You lucky, lucky bastard!!! I am soooooo jelous  Grin

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
Staffan
Swedes stun easily
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Skärhamn, Sweden

"Always look on the bright side of life..."

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2007, 09:59:40 PM »

A lot depends on who you were with and what was going on in your own life etc etc. .

I have the same difficulty in choosing just the one, so here are my best:

August 1974 The Live lineup with Sandy in Gothenburg, outdoors. My first live encounter with the band.It blew me away.Proved to me that Fairport should be seen and heard LIVE.

July 1977 Prescote Manor, Cropredy. Like a small club gig, very intimate. Almost stumbled into Sandy in the dark. I never gave up hope during the evening that she would come on for a guest spot. But the lads were terrific. That four-piece lineup was really something!!!

October 1985 Goteborg, small club gig. New Maart-Ric-Peggy-DM-Simon on blistering form. And well spirited. I have some really nice slides.... Grin Grin Grin

and finally a tie between two Danish gigs, Nibe November 2002 and Elsinore October 2005 for being my family's first live encounters with the band.

But not last. Can't wait for August....

Staffan

" -Just a roll, just a roll..."

" -I was 16 now and full of life..."
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2007, 10:26:00 PM »

I've moved that chat about Jerry Donahue into its own thread.

Anna
I'll be Susan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London Colney, near St Albans, Herts

That's her, with the fluteystick...

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2007, 03:23:16 PM »

My favourites have to the the FAC gigs.  It's so nice to be in a smaller venue.  I tend to arrive really early as I can't bear hanging around at home and I've found that if I get there early the theatre staff are usually very accomodating vis the motorcycle gear too.

As a newcomer I've only seen the current lineup live, the Wood & Wire tour was when my folks dragged me down to Croydon to see them.  That was a good gig, considering I didn't know any of the songs then.  Meet on the Ledge totally blew me away!

But my favourite gig of all time must have been the FAC gig that a member of the board put on in somewhere near Gravesend...  Blimey, CRAFT moment!!  Met a couple of other TAW's there, got a front row seat and it was utterly Brilliant.  Gerry's first FAC tour, without Peggy.  The first tour that Ric and Simon did the segue thing into Summertime - that was great to see.

Smiley  Memories.

Can't wait for August.

Flute player seeks ragtime band...
Jim G
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Bridport ,Dorset

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2007, 09:57:26 PM »

My favorite gig was about three or four years ago when they played at St George's Church in Beckenham Kent (local to me) - as part of a local arts festival (something to do with links with former boss of island records or something) It was a small intimate gig and the church accoustics were wonderful - well it was my personal favorite.
gower flower (Shirl)
Welsh Undresser
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Sweet synchronicity

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2007, 10:19:47 PM »

I suppose my best has to be my first..... Smiley

I didn’t see FC live until relatively recently – about 2002 I believe. It was in a venue in South Wales  - Muni Arts Centre, Pontypridd.

The previous year I had travelled to Newport to see them. It turned out that on that occasion the venue was still under construction, so the gig did not materialise. (unsurprisingly) I felt like a child who had been told that Santa Claus was dead…..

That was meant to be my first live FC moment, so I was desperately disappointed.

SO, when I DID see them at Pontypridd I still wouldn’t believe it was real, even though we were in our seats…..then Ric came onstage and I (blush) shouted out “It’s Ric!” and I knew it was really going to happen this time.

The opening track was “Journeyman’s Grace” with Chris Leslie taking the vocal. My first ever “live” FC track, and always a favourite.

Happy days

There have been other joyful occasions since then, sitting in the front row and being smiled at by Peggy and Chris....but the first gig has to be the best.

So far. Wink

That's not dirt, it's patination!
peterwales
a lot more rugged and a lot less "twee"
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Norfolk

Far from the Western Hills of Birth

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2007, 10:41:42 PM »

Cropredy 1997, the 30th. anniversary one, definetly. What seemed an extra long set, great set list, great playing; the boiling hot sun, great atmosphere. Even some "worldly" Americans near me in the crowd who said this was the best gig they had been to, here or the USA.
Big Dave
Virtual Giant
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hadfield (in the glorious High Peak of Derbyshire)

Stand us a pint guv!

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2007, 12:36:34 PM »

FAC, Robin2, 8th Novemeber 2006.

Live life, live love, Live for FAIRPORT!!!!!!
Mark
and if any one should ask me.........
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Carmarthen

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2007, 01:22:50 PM »

January 1985.

Wolverhampton Grand Theatre.

Swarb,
Simon,
Peggy
& Bruce.

"And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once. And we should call every truth false which was not accompanied by at least one laugh." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
tarda (Gill)
Our own Harvey Goldsmith
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: West Sussex

Otis tarda - a slow bird but a great bustard

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2007, 05:07:55 PM »

1974 (I think). Greenwich Borough Hall (I think).

Not only my first FC gig but my first really great gig. I wish I could remember whom I went with.
Fantastic.
I was bowled over and went straight up to HMV in Oxford street on my next day off to buy an album or two, even though it meant fasting to pay for them.

"And dreams let you down; they just let you down,
But they never leave you..."
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2007, 05:14:09 PM »

Best FC gig for me was at the 100 CLub a few years ago, it was the acoustic set but Peggy was still with them and it was the first time for Mr B so I really wanted them to be good.

And they were! Brilliant night, Mr B impressed. Everyone happy!  Smiley

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: