TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 12, 2024, 02:48:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Myths and Heroes - New album  (Read 97258 times)
Dominic

Loc: Manchester, England

« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2015, 11:02:48 AM »

Fair comment.

I feel it is very good though, and a record that I can listen to from front to back without skipping, deserves high praise. I haven't been able to do that with a Fairport album for a while. The songs are strong, and so many things are right with Myths and Heroes. I'd love them to play it all at Cropredy; all the way through.

If it was my choice I wouldn't put scores on albums as it takes away from the reading of the review.

JeremyRS
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2015, 11:08:05 AM »

Take your point too Dominic (and I'm also guilty of it on occasions), and yes, I'd do away with scores too but a lot of people expect them.

Not so skinny, maybe not so free
Dominic

Loc: Manchester, England

« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2015, 11:11:49 AM »

Yeah, scores can be frustrating. I write for two other sites about rock and metal and generally don't score on those sites; it's one of the things that particular website I wrote the Myths & Heroes review for requires. At least the record is good and we can all enjoy it!

RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #63 on: February 24, 2015, 09:22:32 PM »

Before I consider bringing it up with Fairport Towers, has anyone else received their copy ordered from the website while the tour has been going on? Feel like this happened to me once before and it was suggested that was a reason for the delay. Just curious.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Greg E

« Reply #64 on: February 25, 2015, 06:58:45 AM »

Still waiting for my copy. Not be happy if it comes after the 1st
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #65 on: February 26, 2015, 03:35:35 PM »

Received my copy yesterday and have given it a few listens at this point. I agree that it is a very strong album. What this one has is a lot of surprising instrumentation and textures-the opening of Myths and Heroes, that persistent riff on Grace And Favour, and the intro to Love At First Sight are all very strong and different for a Fairport album. The Gallivant is fantastic and the Fylde Mountain Time Medley is very reminiscent of Flatback Caper and as such is I think some sort of accidental or deliberate nod to Full House which may have prompted the cover. I will have to see if I note other lyrical or musical moments that reference Full House. I also like the photos of the band on the gatefold and in the booklet. There is one of Ric that I think is an especially good in the moment photo. Songs are well chosen and though I miss more vocal contribution from Simon, one could argue that the three songs he sings are some of the strongest on the album. John Condon and Clear Water especially.  Very well done chaps.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #66 on: February 26, 2015, 04:15:45 PM »

Some years ago we ran an FA Cup competition, pitting FC albums against each other to establish their finest output. Unfortunately I cannot find it now. I do know that L&L narrowly beat Full House in the final but I do not remember which other albums made it to the latter stages.

As we have mostly lived with Myths & Heroes for a while now, I wondered how it might have fared in the competition and where it stands in the catalogue. In a straight fight with all the other albums, in my view the results would be as follows:

Fairport Convention v Myths & Heroes
What We Did On Our Holidays v Myths & Heroes
Unhalfbricking v Myths & Heroes
Liege & Lief v Myths & Heroes
Full House v Myths & Heroes
Angel Delight v Myths & Heroes
Babbacombe Lee v Myths & Heroes
Rosie v Myths & Heroes
Nine v Myths & Heroes
Rising For The Moon v Myths & Heroes. A controversial result this with the potent strike force of One More Chance being ultimately overcome by the greater consistency of the younger (older?) side.
Gottle O Geer v Myths & Heroes
Bonny Bunch of Roses v Myths & Heroes
Tipplers Tales v Myths & Heroes
Gladys Leap v Myths & Heroes
Expletive Delighted v Myths & Heroes
Red & Gold v Myths & Heroes
The Five Seasons v Myths & Heroes. Score draw between the two most similar teams in the tournament with The Wounded Whale and Claudy Banks (nephew of Gordon) scoring good penalties to settle the tie.
Jewel In The Crown v Myths & Heroes
Who Knows Where The Time Goes v Myths & Heroes. Another very close match. John Gaudie just seeing the veterans over the line.
The Wood & The Wire v Myths & Heroes
XXXV v Myths & Heroes
Over the Next Hill v Myths & Heroes
Sense Of Occasion v Myths & Heroes
Festival Bell v Myths & Heroes. Recent strong performer hampered by ukeleles and song with London in the title.
By Popular Request v Myths & Heroes. Pyrrhic victory achieved by enlisting the crowd.
DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #67 on: February 26, 2015, 04:25:07 PM »

The Five Seasons v Myths & Heroes. Score draw between the two most similar teams in the tournament with The Wounded Whale and Claudy Banks (nephew of Gordon) scoring good penalties to settle the tie.

Referee!! I demand a replay !!    Shocked Cheesy

I'd agree with most of the others though. Although I've never really got into WKWTTG (album) so Myths and Heroes would win that fixture.
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #68 on: February 26, 2015, 04:26:44 PM »

Some years ago we ran an FA Cup competition, pitting FC albums against each other to establish their finest output. Unfortunately I cannot find it now. I do know that L&L narrowly beat Full House in the final but I do not remember which other albums made it to the latter stages.

As we have mostly lived with Myths & Heroes for a while now, I wondered how it might have fared in the competition and where it stands in the catalogue. In a straight fight with all the other albums, in my view the results would be as follows:

Rosie v Myths & Heroes
Nine v Myths & Heroes
Rising For The Moon v Myths & Heroes. A controversial result this with the potent strike force of One More Chance being ultimately overcome by the greater consistency of the younger (older?) side.
Who Knows Where The Time Goes v Myths & Heroes. Another very close match. John Gaudie just seeing the veterans over the line.
XXXV v Myths & Heroes
Festival Bell v Myths & Heroes. Recent strong performer hampered by ukeleles and song with London in the title.
By Popular Request v Myths & Heroes. Pyrrhic victory achieved by enlisting the crowd.

So, (ignoring popular request) this is the 'best'album', of the present line up.
Nigel no longer of Lysander
OldSchool man of the world
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Hereford

A Grounding in Numbers

« Reply #69 on: February 26, 2015, 04:31:26 PM »

Not sure that WKWTTG should win this as John Gaudie should have been cup-tied having already appeared for Whippersnapper F.C.

Cheers Nigel
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #70 on: February 26, 2015, 04:47:33 PM »

I'd agree with much of your results there, but I'd put M&H ahead of Gladys Leap (let down by a dreadful performance from My Feet Are Set For Dancing) and also Tipplers Tales and Bonny Bunch of Roses (much as I enjoy them, I feel this one pips both to the post).  I think it probably beats WKWTTG as well.  You didn't mention Old New Borrowed Blue, which I would put as a score draw, as I also would with Jewel in the Crown.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #71 on: February 26, 2015, 05:16:53 PM »

You didn't mention Old New Borrowed Blue, which I would put as a score draw, .

I did consider it but as it is mostly live I decided against it. Conversely I should probably have included In Real Time (incidentally my first Fairport album) as, despite the dubbed crowd noise, it is effectively By Popular Request Vol 1
YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

and mastery demands a certain style

« Reply #72 on: February 26, 2015, 05:17:16 PM »

Top idea, but this time we'll have a league, where every team (album) gets to play every other one.

As soon as I figure out how to do it without too much hassle, I'll announce it.

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #73 on: February 26, 2015, 05:20:40 PM »

Top idea, but this time we'll have a league, where every team (album) gets to play every other one.

As soon as I figure out how to do it without too much hassle, I'll announce it.

Good luck! I remember that the cup competition was a lot of work and that was a knockout tournament. I did do a Folk Rock Champions League too which had a round robin element. Also a lot of work!
Greg E

« Reply #74 on: February 26, 2015, 07:03:18 PM »

Not had my copy yet. Not happy as it said 'now dispatching' when ordered it. If I'd known then I would have paid £3 less and got it from Amazon - which arrive on Monday.
I'll be ok if it comes by the weekend!
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #75 on: February 26, 2015, 09:06:53 PM »

Rosie v Myths & Heroes
Nine v Myths & Heroes
XXXV v Myths & Heroes

So, (ignoring popular request) this is the 'best'album', of the present line up.

And indeed much else that has been released since 1985. In my personal tally therefore, it ranks about 15th out of the 26 studio albums that the band have released. Not bad at this point in their career.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #76 on: February 27, 2015, 09:25:05 AM »

I'd agree with much of your results there, but I'd put M&H ahead of Gladys Leap (let down by a dreadful performance from My Feet Are Set For Dancing) and also Tipplers Tales and Bonny Bunch of Roses (much as I enjoy them, I feel this one pips both to the post).  I think it probably beats WKWTTG as well.  You didn't mention Old New Borrowed Blue, which I would put as a score draw, as I also would with Jewel in the Crown.

Gladys has to have a special place for longer standing fans, as it meant FC were back after we thought we'd lost them.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #77 on: February 27, 2015, 09:33:53 AM »

Gladys has to have a special place for longer standing fans, as it meant FC were back after we thought we'd lost them.

It has a special place for me too, as that was when I first saw them.  And a number of the songs on there are great favourites of mine.  Still, I'd say that, setting the emotional attachment aside, the new album is actually better as a whole (just!).

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #78 on: February 27, 2015, 09:35:29 AM »

I spent ages tearing myself apart about that at the time.  I have an affection for it I don't have for much of the other albums of the last 30 years but it's not terribly easy to like.  It sounds like a museum piece to me now (as does so much other music from the period).

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #79 on: February 27, 2015, 10:28:54 AM »

I spent ages tearing myself apart about that at the time.  I have an affection for it I don't have for much of the other albums of the last 30 years but it's not terribly easy to like.  It sounds like a museum piece to me now (as does so much other music from the period).

Off topic David.......but i have a love of Marianne Faithfuls Broken English, which i regularly return to but it is now very much of it's time. It's the synths!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: