TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 08, 2024, 07:55:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: No More Sad Refrains to be republished  (Read 26806 times)
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2007, 07:27:39 PM »

Our pal from DC spent a lot of time, effort and love on an independently researched biography of Sandy around the same time as Clinton Heylin was doing his thing. I'm a bit muddled about the reasons why HIS publishers beat up HER publishers in the race to the finish, but sometimes life is not fair. I have a copy of her manuscript here on this desktop: it reads to me more of the woman I remember but I am not in the position to disseminate it: maybe in the interest of balance it might one day become available.
Her web contact is http://www.rambles.net/pamela_winters.html and her name is Pam.

I believe that that one was available on the net for a while, but no longer.  Shame.  I'd love to read it.

I know that Matty Grooves are a record company, but Woodworm published books, could Matty Grooves publish this one, maybe next year for the anniversairy?

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
Big Dave
Virtual Giant
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hadfield (in the glorious High Peak of Derbyshire)

Stand us a pint guv!

« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2007, 07:29:25 PM »

No they can't.  There are legal complications, as Simon said in his post, he is not in a position to make the document public.

Live life, live love, Live for FAIRPORT!!!!!!
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2007, 08:54:12 AM »

I believe that that one was available on the net for a while, but no longer.  Shame.  I'd love to read it.

Yes, and so say many of us.

Sad

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Philip W
forgiving of the rhetorical flourish

Loc: Cambs

« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2007, 11:14:45 AM »

Our pal from DC spent a lot of time, effort and love on an independently researched biography of Sandy around the same time as Clinton Heylin was doing his thing. I'm a bit muddled about the reasons why HIS publishers beat up HER publishers in the race to the finish, but sometimes life is not fair. I have a copy of her manuscript here on this desktop: it reads to me more of the woman I remember but I am not in the position to disseminate it: maybe in the interest of balance it might one day become available.
Her web contact is http://www.rambles.net/pamela_winters.html and her name is Pam.

A slight correction, Simon. As far as I know, it was one publisher all along: Helter Skelter. They parted company with Pam and then commissioned Heylin to do his book instead. The publisher's version of events is given here:
http://www.mudcat.org/thread.cfm?threadid=18994
Pam gives her thoughts here:
http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/SandyDennyList/message/3402
It's evident she still feels very wounded by the whole business.

Philip

Blogs at Brush on Drum and tweets at @PhilipEMWard
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2007, 12:27:27 PM »

Sounds like there's a lot of conflict there, the publisher says the book was rubbish and more about Pam than Sandy, both the publisher and the author say that they terminated the contract, not the other party.  I don't want to comment on public grief more than to say that the picture presented is very confusing.

Simon says it reflects the woman he knew and that's good enough for me. Personally, if anyone has the pdf and wants to smuggle it to me, you know my email address.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2007, 12:31:06 PM »

Personally, if anyone has the pdf and wants to smuggle it to me, you know my email address.

[cough] samegoesforme [/cough]

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2007, 12:32:35 PM »

I have an html version of the book taken from the web (I don't think it is still available there though), and I'd be happy to pass it on to anyone, if it isn't illegal to do so.  Perhaps someone can let me know what the legal situation is.  When I downloaded it, it was still in the public domain (ie. on the internet)...

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2007, 07:52:38 PM »

just do it and we promise not to tell the cops
ok?

The Dude abides
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2007, 10:44:38 PM »

I have an html version of the book taken from the web (I don't think it is still available there though), and I'd be happy to pass it on to anyone, if it isn't illegal to do so.  Perhaps someone can let me know what the legal situation is.  When I downloaded it, it was still in the public domain (ie. on the internet)...

It isn't available any longer, and that is the stated wish of both the author, and one person very much mentioned in the 'book', who has previously taken legal action to prevent it being circulated, citing the libel laws.
The wishes of these people are still current.

Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2007, 12:26:19 PM »

It isn't available any longer, and that is the stated wish of both the author, and one person very much mentioned in the 'book', who has previously taken legal action to prevent it being circulated, citing the libel laws.
The wishes of these people are still current.

Point taken.  I withdraw my offer.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #50 on: July 03, 2007, 12:47:41 PM »

Nevertheless, Chris, it's out there on the net, just behind a few curtains is all. I think the stable door was ajar for too long.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Tasha
shocking in parts but very good
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Shropshire

« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2007, 12:51:08 PM »

Indeed it is i downloaded it about 10months ago- but now i can't remember how i found it! Grin Grin

They broke my heart and they killed me, but I didn't die. They tried to bury me, they didn't realise I was a seed.
rogthedodge

« Reply #52 on: September 08, 2007, 12:58:54 AM »

With respect to Jude I will be trying to get hold of this as I'm keen to read more about Sandy. I will approach it with caution though.

Shame there are no other sources (apart from the articles on the web) on Sandy's life. She deserves more.

I'm a newbie here so this is a VERY cheeky request..........

If anyone could kindly point me in the direction of decent stuff on Sandy's life on the web or elsewhere I'd appreciate it.

Philip W
forgiving of the rhetorical flourish

Loc: Cambs

« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2007, 02:36:56 PM »

If anyone could kindly point me in the direction of decent stuff on Sandy's life on the web or elsewhere I'd appreciate it.

Welcome, Rog. Not sure what articles on the Web you've seen?

One good biographical source that hasn't been mentioned in this thread is the long article by Jim Irvin. This appeared originally in Mojo, June 1998, with a revised version in the booklet for A Boxful of Treasures (great 5-CD set well worth getting hold of). Most of the text is on the Web at:
http://club.telepolis.com/sandydenny/Albumes/librosangelofavalon.htm
http://club.telepolis.com/sandydenny/Albumes/librosangelofavalon2.htm

Irvin has a revealing postscript where he explains that, when he originally published, he had to soft-pedal Sandy's relationship with her mother out of respect for her father, who was still alive in 1998. Her later biographers have felt no such constraints.

There's also quite a bit on her in the first volume of the Ashley Hutchings biography (by Hinton and Wall).

Blogs at Brush on Drum and tweets at @PhilipEMWard
rogthedodge

« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2007, 05:07:17 PM »

Thanks very much for that, interesting stuff. I hadn't seen it before, hard to say what I have seen: mainly the stuff on Uk fan sites (including a blog by PM Ward - coincidence?  Grin -), that article contains stuff I've not seen such as the personal details and the best description of how & why the splits and reformations occurred.

Any other pointers gratefully received.

Complete aside, glad to see the 30th anniversary of Sandy's death is being talked about, at least. I was concerned it'd pass unmarked. It'd be great if there was a concerted search for the archive footage and performance tapes that must be out there somewhere
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: