TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 09, 2024, 07:27:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2012 Wintour dates  (Read 134126 times)
Jan_
A jig, a melodeon and a smile
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #200 on: March 04, 2012, 10:53:48 AM »

I agree about odd. It's not very often we get to walk to a Fairport gig - last one was Cardiff 2007 when our daughter was a student. Must admit we joked about a Fairport rave as we took a short cut through the Topps Tiles car par and headed towards what was essentially a warehouse. Surprisingly, The Venue worked well. In contrast to some theatres, there was very much a sense that audience and band were connected even if the acoustics were not perfect.

I particularly enjoyed this revisiting of the back catalogue. It was heartwarming to hear so many old favourites reworked to suit current strengths and to keep the music fresh. Hiring Fair was just gorgeous and I agree with a previous poster about it being a gentler version. I find it amusing that FC's protest song includes the line "To see both sides of a quarrel ... " and probably the reason why I can identify with it more than most protest songs.

The chaps seemed quite tired when they took to the stage (it's been a long tour) and bending down to change plugs and pick up dropped items seemed to require more effort than usual. Nevertheless, they pressed on and in doing so found their groove and actually seemed to have more energy by the end than at the start.

We enjoyed it a lot and looking forward to Colchester on Tuesday.

Katy's Mum
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #201 on: March 04, 2012, 05:24:39 PM »

Really enjoyed last night in Chichester, and it made my day to get a mention from the stage.
Agree the venue was a bit strange, it really is an old warehouse. Also, the chairs were some of the most uncomfortable I've ever known, but it was still a great night. Loved Kieran Goss too.

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #202 on: March 05, 2012, 07:28:42 AM »

I have just realised that as a result of Saturday's disruption to my plans, this will be the first Wintour that I have missed for 23 years as I can't get to any of the remaining gigs.  Sad
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #203 on: March 05, 2012, 08:24:08 AM »

Only 3 more days till I finally get to see them at Pontardawe... hope it's still as good as everyone's been saying Grin

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #204 on: March 05, 2012, 09:10:37 AM »

Wendy and I will almost certainly not be there as it's Dan's birthday and he wants us to take him out for a meal.  Sad

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
billy
So wassup you guys?
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Sutton,Surrey

« Reply #205 on: March 06, 2012, 02:35:39 PM »

I had to leave Dorking Halls  early last night in order to get the last train home. If only the show started a bit earlier , Kieran Goss didn't talk so much and the interval wasn't so long.................................
steve-n
Ironic Hooverer

Loc: Leafy Warwickshire

« Reply #206 on: March 07, 2012, 12:38:49 AM »

A mention for Sunday's gig in the middle of the North Sea. Battled our way through horizontal 20 mph wind and rain to the end of Cromer Pier...goodness knows how John and the crew managed to trolley all the kit back and forth in a howling gale (no pun intended). Best non FC moment was the theatre manager explaining to a chilly punter that there was no air conditioning to turn down - the breeze was from gaps in the structure. Certainly set the atmosphere for Mercy Bay.

Once again, Fairport came up trumps. Set list slightly adjusted to those we've seen previously on this tour, and none the worse for it. Particular highligts were Fotheringay, a superb Hiring Fair and some great audience singing in MOTL.

Brilliant concert and altogether a great experience.....we'll remember the white horses on the puddles for a long time.. Wink

S&J
Jan_
A jig, a melodeon and a smile
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #207 on: March 08, 2012, 01:06:58 AM »

An absolutely fantastic gig at Colchester last night! As much as I am enjoying listening to the new CD, nothing beats hearing those songs live.  Of course, the excellent acoustics in this deconsecrated church helped, as did John Gale on sound, but FC played a blinder, it has to be said. Mercy Bay was particularly powerful, as was Fotheringay. Even though the chaps must be exhausted by now, they were upbeat and focussed, seemingly energised by the appreciative responses of the audience.  My only disappointment was that there were no programmes left. I have every one going back to 1976 but not this one. Ebay may be my friend – let’s hope so.
Peter Taylor

Loc: Bolton

« Reply #208 on: March 08, 2012, 03:19:52 PM »

Just tweeted by Fairport Union Chapel date to be filmed by BBC
martin driver
I like the cut of his gibberish
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surbiton

« Reply #209 on: March 08, 2012, 03:22:52 PM »

An absolutely fantastic gig at Colchester last night! As much as I am enjoying listening to the new CD, nothing beats hearing those songs live.  Of course, the excellent acoustics in this deconsecrated church helped, as did John Gale on sound, but FC played a blinder, it has to be said. Mercy Bay was particularly powerful, as was Fotheringay. Even though the chaps must be exhausted by now, they were upbeat and focussed, seemingly energised by the appreciative responses of the audience.  My only disappointment was that there were no programmes left. I have every one going back to 1976 but not this one. Ebay may be my friend – let’s hope so.

It was indeed a fine gig in lovely surroundings.

Unfortunately the evening was depressingly marred by a member of Colchester Town Council road management team who in an act of complete madness and savagery felt it his duty to put parking tickets on the tour vehicles at around 9pm. Bearing in mind the arts centre is located in a cul de sac and the only building in the cul de sac is the arts centre, I'm at a loss to understand how anyone could suggest the vehicles might cause an obstruction. A simple resolution surely would be for the council to provide the arts centre with parking permits to accommodate visiting companies.

I would urge the good folk of Colchester to contact the Evening Gazette http://www.gazette-news.co.uk/contactus/ and/or their town councillor http://www.colchester.gov.uk/contact to highlight the problem. The sad truth is if nothing is done to resolve the issue, companies will choose not to return, which would be a tragedy for the town and supporters of music & the arts.

Tim Fletcher
Spotify hasn't heard of him either!
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London - almost Muswell Hill!

« Reply #210 on: March 08, 2012, 03:30:46 PM »

That makes choosing the correct evening wear even more important! Must remember to wash my hair as well.  Grin

I really must get around to thinking up something witty and urbane to put here.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #211 on: March 08, 2012, 03:41:17 PM »

I wonder when it will be on. It will compensate a little for missing the chaps last weekend.
Peter Taylor

Loc: Bolton

« Reply #212 on: March 08, 2012, 03:46:19 PM »

Quote from Fairport's web site

'And good news! The last night of our current Winter Tour is being filmed by BBC Four television for transmission later this year. The gig is at the Union Chapel in London on Saturday 10 March and it starts at 7.30pm. We still have a few tickets left so if you fancy being on telly, book your seats now'
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #213 on: March 08, 2012, 04:17:13 PM »

sounds like a 9pm friday night BBC4 job, good eh?

The Dude abides
JeremyRS
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #214 on: March 08, 2012, 04:17:46 PM »

To add a bit to this:

"The BBC will record the entire 90-minute concert for transmission later this year together with an hour-long documentary about Fairport Convention and its musical legacy. The documentary is currently in production and celebrates Fairport's forty-fifth anniversary as a working band. Both programmes will be broadcast on BBC Four."

Not so skinny, maybe not so free
scarabus (Kevin)

Loc: Hertfordshire

Cutting wood whenever convenient

« Reply #215 on: March 09, 2012, 07:27:52 AM »

Hmmm... knowing the venue and the palaver involved in filming, I expect this will spoil or even ruin the viewing pleasure of the live audience. And it might compromise the sound as well, with all the extra cables and transmissions. Not good news.
Why not do a proper film of Cropredy and stay clear of an intimate venue such as the Chapel?

Loganberry jam is another kettle of fish
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #216 on: March 09, 2012, 09:20:18 AM »

Great night at Pontardawe yesterday.  All were on top form, including Keiron Goss, who the crowd warmed to very quickly.

Chris Leslie's versatility never ceases to amaze me.  And top marks to Ric for the best 'bad' joke I've heard in ages (the one about Dave Pegg being arrested...) Fez

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

and mastery demands a certain style

« Reply #217 on: March 09, 2012, 10:48:57 PM »

So it's Union Chapel tomorrow kids. I'll be there with Lady YaBB  Grin

Apparently we're buying towel rails in John Lewis first. Then it's Selfridge's Salt Beef Bar. Then Union Chapel.

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
steve-n
Ironic Hooverer

Loc: Leafy Warwickshire

« Reply #218 on: March 10, 2012, 01:44:50 AM »

Brum Town Hall, lovely venue with superb acoustics and a really appreciative audience (home fixture for 2/5 of the band).

Even though the chaps understandably looked a bit tired after 38 gigs, it was still a brilliant evening. Hiring Fair just gets better and better, particularly when it's not in competition with Red & Gold, and tonight's Hexhamshire Lass was a real highlight. Fotheringay probably the outstanding song of the night, and the tour, for us.

Full audience participation in MOTL as well...we did a chorus on our own!!

Really sad that this was our last gig of this tour...hope all goes well at Union Chapel.

S&J
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #219 on: March 10, 2012, 08:22:13 AM »

So it's Union Chapel tomorrow kids. I'll be there with Lady YaBB  Grin

Apparently we're buying towel rails in John Lewis first. Then it's Selfridge's Salt Beef Bar. Then Union Chapel.

So will I, with Stu Nuthouse and his lovely friend. not sure we are buying towel rails though Roll Eyes

Lurking in London. Lovely.... Grin

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: