TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 20, 2024, 08:20:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2012 Wintour dates  (Read 134546 times)
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #120 on: February 10, 2012, 04:33:04 PM »

Sounds like a great tour so far.  Still ages to go until I get to see them at Pontardawe. Undecided

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
KascadeDan
A teenager at last
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: New Romney, Kent

I can't read the lines, let alone in-between!

« Reply #121 on: February 10, 2012, 06:39:11 PM »

Just enjoyed a nice meal in the Tunbridge Wells Travelodge and will be off to the theatre to see the lads in an hours time. Looking forward to it Smiley

Imponderable Joy
gower flower (Shirl)
Welsh Undresser
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Sweet synchronicity

« Reply #122 on: February 10, 2012, 08:24:13 PM »

Sounds like a great tour so far.  Still ages to go until I get to see them at Pontardawe. Undecided

I know how you feel Mick, *sigh*.  In the meantime, why not come along to Pontardawe on the 22nd of this month - just twelve days away - to see Pentangle, wonderfully supported by David Hughes of this parish? Go on, you know you want to.  Roll Eyes

That's not dirt, it's patination!
KascadeDan
A teenager at last
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: New Romney, Kent

I can't read the lines, let alone in-between!

« Reply #123 on: February 10, 2012, 11:23:18 PM »

One word: Brilliant!

Imponderable Joy
Polly Oxford (Andie)
give most things a go that don't involve jumping
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surrey/Sussex

Bloomin' Tall Ships...

« Reply #124 on: February 11, 2012, 08:25:19 AM »

Absolutely! Been saving the 45 cd until I'd been, but it's going to get a fair bashing now. A classic!
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #125 on: February 11, 2012, 10:11:48 AM »

I know how you feel Mick, *sigh*.  In the meantime, why not come along to Pontardawe on the 22nd of this month - just twelve days away - to see Pentangle, wonderfully supported by David Hughes of this parish? Go on, you know you want to.  Roll Eyes

Good plan - but they're on in Cardiff that week as well (8 miles away, as opposed to Pontardawe, which is 40 odd miles away) so I may go to see them there.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
gower flower (Shirl)
Welsh Undresser
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Sweet synchronicity

« Reply #126 on: February 11, 2012, 10:50:19 AM »

Good plan - but they're on in Cardiff that week as well (8 miles away, as opposed to Pontardawe, which is 40 odd miles away) so I may go to see them there.

Fair enough! I didn't notice that you live in the Barry area.  Embarrassed Smiley

That's not dirt, it's patination!
SymonC

« Reply #127 on: February 11, 2012, 12:24:07 PM »

Going to Margate tonight.  Anyone else going or have been and know the best place to park?  Thanks in advance.
SymonC

« Reply #128 on: February 12, 2012, 12:25:35 AM »

Well found you could park for free in the road running alongside the theatre!

A very enjoyable evening was had by all.
scarabus (Kevin)

Loc: Hertfordshire

Cutting wood whenever convenient

« Reply #129 on: February 12, 2012, 07:18:00 AM »

Dumb question, but: is it a strict 7.30 kick-off? My ticket for Union Chapel says 7.00, but I guess that's just doors open?
And if anyone is going to this venue for the first time, be warned that I got there early to see Ian Anderson but still had to walk back to Highbury Corner and down the New North Road to find the back of the queue.
I actually got there early to have a few scoops, but saw the queue and went thirsty.

Loganberry jam is another kettle of fish
Tim Fletcher
Spotify hasn't heard of him either!
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London - almost Muswell Hill!

« Reply #130 on: February 12, 2012, 10:15:58 AM »

Dumb question, but: is it a strict 7.30 kick-off? My ticket for Union Chapel says 7.00, but I guess that's just doors open?
And if anyone is going to this venue for the first time, be warned that I got there early to see Ian Anderson but still had to walk back to Highbury Corner and down the New North Road to find the back of the queue.
I actually got there early to have a few scoops, but saw the queue and went thirsty.

I think that is that time the doors open - and yes it is worth getting there a bit ahead of time if you want a pew in the block in front of the stage/pulpit.

I really must get around to thinking up something witty and urbane to put here.
Greg

Loc: Faversham...for now...

« Reply #131 on: February 12, 2012, 11:37:03 AM »

Brilliant evening in Margate! Horribly cold but the boys warmed it up with some top playing. The vocal harmonies were top draw and I was pleased they kept some Festival Bell material in alongside the classics. Still love Danny Jack's Reward!  Hope Chris's fiddle is ok though. Saw it fall on the stage towards the end.  Undecided

Darren_j
beer runs are very important of course
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London

« Reply #132 on: February 12, 2012, 01:13:13 PM »

I was at Manchester last week and I agree that the mix of "greatest hits" from the new CD plus some well chosen material from Festival Bell worked really well together.

Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: S.W. London

One man gathers what another man spills

« Reply #133 on: February 12, 2012, 07:10:35 PM »

Hope Chris's fiddle is ok though. Saw it fall on the stage towards the end.  Undecided

Was he still holding it when it hit the stage??   Roll Eyes

No Left Turn Unstoned
martin driver
I like the cut of his gibberish
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surbiton

« Reply #134 on: February 13, 2012, 01:42:35 PM »

I think that is that time the doors open - and yes it is worth getting there a bit ahead of time if you want a pew in the block in front of the stage/pulpit.

Door staff at the Union Chapel used to have the unenviable task of checking every e ticket manually against web ticket provider lists, which was as you can imagine both labourious and time consuming. However that is no longer the case as they recently invested in bar code readers which speeds things up substantially.
But if you want to claim premium seats you still need to arrive early and queue.
Dr Clive

Loc: Chiswell Green, St Albans

« Reply #135 on: February 15, 2012, 10:00:24 AM »

Excellent concert last night in St Albans, Kieran was was on form with the craic as well as the music, we thought a second career in stand-up might becon if the music thing didn't work out!

Fairport's set was a corker, especially the reworked old favourites. I hadn't told Bex the set list beforehand so it wouldn't spoil the surprise, as many of her absolute favourites were on the list - she was suitably impressed.

The sound was absolutely spot-on, all the instruments and vocals balanced in terms of relative volume, and each given plenty of space - kudos to John Gale for a superb job, well done.

Nice chats with all the guys after,too.

All-in-all a superb performance by everyone.

We bought both CDs, too.

DC
Polly Oxford (Andie)
give most things a go that don't involve jumping
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surrey/Sussex

Bloomin' Tall Ships...

« Reply #136 on: February 15, 2012, 10:06:53 AM »

With that as a backbone, we're really looking forward to Cropredy this year!
richardkendell

« Reply #137 on: February 15, 2012, 04:46:12 PM »

Excellent concert last night in St Albans, Kieran was was on form with the craic as well as the music, we thought a second career in stand-up might becon if the music thing didn't work out!

Fairport's set was a corker, especially the reworked old favourites. I hadn't told Bex the set list beforehand so it wouldn't spoil the surprise, as many of her absolute favourites were on the list - she was suitably impressed.

The sound was absolutely spot-on, all the instruments and vocals balanced in terms of relative volume, and each given plenty of space - kudos to John Gale for a superb job, well done.

Nice chats with all the guys after,too.

All-in-all a superb performance by everyone.

We bought both CDs, too.

DC

Agreed. It was a great evening. I am pleased that they now have the sound at St Albans well sorted. I had never seen Keiran before but thoroughly enjoyed him.
johanna/ulla
The Cropredy Opening Act
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Worms, Germany

Don´t mention the war

« Reply #138 on: February 16, 2012, 08:27:32 AM »

We will be in Milton Keynes on Saturday - if I can come over to England. Frankfurt airport is on strike and hundreds of flights are cancelled today. They say they will be on strike tomorrow as well   Shocked
So fingers crossed ...  Undecided
bcfc dave

Loc: Bristol

promotion? hmmm...

« Reply #139 on: February 17, 2012, 12:37:17 AM »

Really good evening in Weston Super Mare, my usual routine was in tatters though, no T-shirts! Peggy was there...."we've been hit by the economy" he said "We couldn't fit them in the van". I wandered aimlessly in the foyer for a while until composure was regained...
The one annoying thing about the set was the pre-recorded harmonies on Fotheringay. The accompanying story is great but I just was wishing they would have just, well, started the song. That would have been better.
All in all though, in fine form. Really enjoyed it despite going home without the usual goodies bag, I'd already bought the cds etc....
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: