TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 09, 2024, 05:34:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2012 Wintour dates  (Read 134118 times)
H (Heather Smith)
Protecting her modesty with mackerel

Loc: Derbyshire

« Reply #180 on: March 01, 2012, 11:39:08 PM »

Danny Jack's Reward - although Peggy seemed to be clock-watching by that point - possibly quite legitimately concerned about the approach of closing time!

He seemed to do that on all the nights of the tour we saw them as well. Probably a visit to the bar in the interval meant that a trip to use the facilities was in desperate need.

By my reckoning both Peggy and Ric had already taken the opportunity to take comfort earlier on, although I forget during which song.

There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #181 on: March 01, 2012, 11:44:09 PM »

They've seemed to be having timing issues on this tour. Simon said that they usually start at 7:30, but at Bury the show started at 8pm, and a few days ago 9pm! I would've thought they'd check with promoters before turning up...

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
Dave.P
stay away from hammers
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Isle of Wight

Dave from USA (Uther Side of Andover)

« Reply #182 on: March 02, 2012, 07:55:51 AM »

What time are Gigs tending to finish ..  Shocked I've got to do a double quick exit and dash for ferry from Chichester next Saturday  Angry... I don't want to leave before MOTL but............................... Cry

DaveP Afro
Dave.P
stay away from hammers
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #183 on: March 02, 2012, 07:57:59 AM »

ohhhh its THIS Saturday now SmileyCheesy (tomorrow in fact )
martin driver
I like the cut of his gibberish
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surbiton

« Reply #184 on: March 02, 2012, 08:38:52 AM »

What time are Gigs tending to finish ..  Shocked I've got to do a double quick exit and dash for ferry from Chichester next Saturday  Angry... I don't want to leave before MOTL but............................... Cry

DaveP Afro

Approx 3 hour show 7.30 start = 10.30 finish, etc. etc.

So it depends what time the Chichester show is scheduled to begin
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #185 on: March 02, 2012, 09:10:35 AM »

It says 8pm on my ticket for Chichester.
martin driver
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #186 on: March 02, 2012, 11:13:43 AM »

They've seemed to be having timing issues on this tour. Simon said that they usually start at 7:30, but at Bury the show started at 8pm, and a few days ago 9pm! I would've thought they'd check with promoters before turning up...

It's not that the band don't know the start times Ollie, timings are decided & set by the agent & venue at the time of booking the tour. The issue is more likely, one night it's a 7.30 start, another 8.00 then maybe back to 7.30 the inconsistancy plays havoc with the old body clock when you get to certain age. The late show 9.00 was at Greens Hotel in Kinross, where the chaps only had to climb a flight of stairs to their beds.
YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

and mastery demands a certain style

« Reply #187 on: March 02, 2012, 12:43:01 PM »

It depends a lot on the venue location, but often it's very important for the audience to know when the show will finish.
Lately there have been several acts that I have wanted to see, but you know they are going to run late and there is a last train to catch.

This is especially true in London, where most of the audience will have traveled some distance. The main act coming on stage at 9:30 (maybe) is no use if the last train is 11:00 and a tube ride away. I suspect there are a lot of lost ticket sales there.

Ralph McTell knows how to do it. Pick a Sunday so that people can get there early. Two and a half hour set, with no intermission. Back out by 10pm. Audience relaxed and happy. They can have a drink before leaving and catch the train without worrying.

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
martin driver
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #188 on: March 02, 2012, 01:30:07 PM »

Spot on Yabb, your point is true even with the folk clubs here in the London area which in the main don't get underway until 8 & 8.30. By the time the obligatory support acts have had their moment in the spotlight, the acts you've bought your ticket to see, don't get on stage until 9 at the earliest.
With the headline act doing two one hour sets with a break for the "raffle" it quite often means 25% of the audience have to leave in order to catch the last train/bus home halfway through the second set. Makes one wonder what planet the organisers are on.
Tim Fletcher
Spotify hasn't heard of him either!
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London - almost Muswell Hill!

« Reply #189 on: March 02, 2012, 03:14:00 PM »

This was one of the good things about the recent Martin Simpson/Bright Pheobus evening at Kings Place. Started at 7.30 and we were home for Match of the Day after a brisk walk round to Kings Cross and a handy train home. We're lucky in that we have a choice of transport close to home, but I do sympathize if you have to get back to the outer suburbs or farther afield. Getting back across town from say the Half Moon can be a bit interesting with an eye on the last tube. There may be advantages sometimes to being in areas where the travelling is further but if you have a car it can be quicker.

In order to stay on topic  - I hope that next Saturday's visit to the Union Chapel runs to time and we don't lose anything by the wayside. Last year we lost WKWTTG, which was ironic if nothing else.

I really must get around to thinking up something witty and urbane to put here.
Jack Westwood

Loc: Glasgow

« Reply #190 on: March 02, 2012, 08:22:25 PM »

Martin - are you saying that everyone was in their Kinross kip at 12:05am?

We had an argument the other night - all because she said I didn't open the car door for her.  She said I panicked and swam out my side first....
martin driver
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #191 on: March 02, 2012, 11:20:47 PM »

Are you telling me that was not the case  Shocked
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #192 on: March 03, 2012, 12:15:08 AM »

It depends a lot on the venue location, but often it's very important for the audience to know when the show will finish.
Lately there have been several acts that I have wanted to see, but you know they are going to run late and there is a last train to catch.

This is especially true in London, where most of the audience will have traveled some distance. The main act coming on stage at 9:30 (maybe) is no use if the last train is 11:00 and a tube ride away. I suspect there are a lot of lost ticket sales there.

Indeed, I've wanted to go to many gigs recently in London, but couldn't because of trains. In fact, I was caught out after the Spiers & Boden 10th Anniversary gig in London - missed the last train to Cambridge; had to get the slow stopper to Bishop Stortford and Dad picked us up at about 1:20 from there. Not a mistake I'll be making again!

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
Jack Westwood

Loc: Glasgow

« Reply #193 on: March 03, 2012, 02:47:35 PM »

As far as the band are concerned, I really couldn't say. On the other hand, I ........

We had an argument the other night - all because she said I didn't open the car door for her.  She said I panicked and swam out my side first....
Pete Gray
Totally Scuppered

Loc: Coal Aston, Dronfield - Nr. Sheffield

« Reply #194 on: March 03, 2012, 06:05:18 PM »

Good to see you.. shame we didn't get chance for a chat.

I hope we'll get the chance to chat in August.
The Winding Wheel gig looks like it might be the decider in my "Let's do Cropredy this year" campaign.

GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #195 on: March 03, 2012, 07:19:13 PM »

Looks like I am not going to make it tonight (see TDT). I was really looking forward to it too.  Sad

Hope it is a great gig and the Sussex massive turn out in numbers.
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #196 on: March 03, 2012, 10:55:59 PM »

Good to see you.. shame we didn't get chance for a chat.

I hope we'll get the chance to chat in August.
The Winding Wheel gig looks like it might be the decider in my "Let's do Cropredy this year" campaign.

See you there then Pete!!

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Paul
I've Got A Bike
Global Moderator

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #197 on: March 03, 2012, 11:26:51 PM »

Very good tonight. Keiren Goss was very good, although suffering from the cold. Some excellent numbers from the back catalogue.

Bill got a mention, for winning the CD, and having a birthday.

Paul

Dave.P
stay away from hammers
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #198 on: March 04, 2012, 06:32:52 AM »

Chichester was brill. I like hte venue/location  (Middle of an industrial estate)

Kieran Goss was great

FP were on form mo major hiccups

Alwasy good to meet new people Funny how you have something in common .

Had to miss last 3 snongs ...good job I know thme

well dome and thanks chaps

Paul
I've Got A Bike
Global Moderator

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #199 on: March 04, 2012, 08:54:12 AM »

Yes, odd place, but it worked well. They had Langham's ales in bottles which was a bonus.

Paul

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: