TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 14, 2024, 08:16:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Sandy Denny box set  (Read 123292 times)
folkfreak (Alexander)
My EMI doesn't have the dropouts

Loc: Ludwigshafen, Germany

« Reply #140 on: November 20, 2010, 04:44:33 PM »

I got my shipping notice 2 hours ago...

Can't wait now.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #141 on: November 22, 2010, 07:02:16 PM »

Mine's arrived!  It's bloody enormous!   Cheesy

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #142 on: November 22, 2010, 07:10:04 PM »

Just ordered it, I was waiting until I knew it had actually been released.

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
Mark Lavallee
n3wb

« Reply #143 on: November 22, 2010, 07:54:57 PM »

Got my shipping notification.  Now we'll see how long it takes to get to sunny (yet windy) Los Angeles!  I was beginning to think it'd never come out.  Christmas is coming early this year!
Brendan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Barrow-in-Furness

« Reply #144 on: November 22, 2010, 08:07:43 PM »

Mine's arrived!  It's bloody enormous!   Cheesy

Jules

Must agree a work of art and an the quality of the extra's so far are brilliant!

"I'm only a bag of Rags in an Overall"
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #145 on: November 22, 2010, 09:09:24 PM »

Must agree a work of art and and the quality of the extras so far are brilliant!

I haven't even started playing mine yet - I'm still sniffing the box!   Grin

Jules

Dave Brzeski
I'm seeing an alternate universe

Loc: Peterborough

IM me here before requesting ICQ/Yahoo/MSN

« Reply #146 on: November 23, 2010, 05:22:46 PM »

Q: When are you really, really glad it didn't rain?
A: When you get home from work & find the delivery guy has simply dumped your very expensive Sandy Denny box set on the path, outside your back door!

Oh Well, at least I don't have to go collect it.
Vikki

« Reply #147 on: November 23, 2010, 05:27:38 PM »

A: When you get home from work & find the delivery guy has simply dumped your very expensive Sandy Denny box set on the path, outside your back door!

Ah, so I'm not the only person to find my box set left outside the door? I think Amazon may need to have a rethink of their chosen delivery services!
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: S.W. London

One man gathers what another man spills

« Reply #148 on: November 23, 2010, 06:30:34 PM »

Ah, so I'm not the only person to find my box set left outside the door? I think Amazon may need to have a rethink of their chosen delivery services!

Well, do what I always do.  Buy a largish opaque plastic box with a lid, and leave outside for postman/delivery man to leave in. Simples!  Wink

No Left Turn Unstoned
Andy Tuck
A creme egg moment
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Leicester

Dolphins are Evil They Eat Kittens...

« Reply #149 on: November 23, 2010, 06:41:09 PM »

I always get Cds, DVDs, etc delivered to my work address. Then they never get left outside, nor do I have to go and collect them.

Still listening to the telepathic pirate radio show from the flying teapot.....
Vikki

« Reply #150 on: November 23, 2010, 06:46:08 PM »

Well, do what I always do.  Buy a largish opaque plastic box with a lid, and leave outside for postman/delivery man to leave in. Simples!  Wink

The thing is, in my case there was actually someone home at the time - and it was STILL just left on the doorstep!
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #151 on: November 23, 2010, 06:51:28 PM »

The thing is, in my case there was actually someone home at the time - and it was STILL just left on the doorstep!

Yes , but were they in bed at the time?   Grin

No Left Turn Unstoned
Vikki

« Reply #152 on: November 23, 2010, 07:00:46 PM »

Yes , but were they in bed at the time?   Grin

Nope Smiley
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #153 on: November 24, 2010, 08:53:04 AM »

Looking through the tracklisting, I noticed that the mammoth 19 CD set doesn't duplicate the Fairport or solo Sandy BBC stuff, though there are some previously unreleased BBC recordings.  On the one hand this is good in that it doesn't make my BBC box sets redundant.  On the other hand it's unbelievable that such an enormous set isn't actually complete!  It's also somewhat perverse in at least one instance - Disc 4 (which covers the Liege & Lief material) has only 9 tracks - there would certainly have been room for that same line-up's BBC recordings.

I have started listening though!  I chose Disc 14 to begin with - demos, alternate versions and live recordings from Fotheringay.  And it's all very good, but that almost goes without saying.

Jules

Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #154 on: November 24, 2010, 05:33:13 PM »

It's arrived Grin
Not allowed to get my mitts on it til Christmas Cry

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
Jonathan

Loc: US

« Reply #155 on: November 24, 2010, 05:38:28 PM »

I just received it this morning from Amazon UK.  I'm in Northern Virginia, outside of DC.  I just spent an hour or so looking through it.  It has some cool extras (poster announcing the release of her first solo album, postcards, press-kit, etc.).  The hardcover book that comes with it is thorough, listing all the tracks, who plays on what, where recorded, how the track is different from the released version, etc.  It also has some great pictures and comments from different people who worked with her (Richard Thompson, Robert Plant, Dave Cousins, and several more).  

My only comment, not really a complaint, is that the individual CD sleeves only list the tracks.  They don't distinguish which are the bonus tracks and which are the original releases, and in the case of the CD's that are just unreleased material, what it is (unreleased material from "Unhalfbricking," unreleased live show at the LA Troubadour, etc.).  Yes, it's all listed in the book, but if you're wanting to grab the CD of the LA Troubadour from '74, it would be convenient to have it listed on the discs.  Some of this might stem from not being as familiar with the material as others.  I mean, most people probably will be able to just look at the CD's of unreleased material and figure out what what sessions they are from.  Wink  Again, not a huge issue...  Though, apparently enough for me to mention...  Anyway, moving along...

Currently listening to the outtakes from "Sandy"; sound quality is amazing.  I had most of her solo stuff on LP and only have "Sandy" and "Gold Dust" on CD, and never picked up any of the other two recent boxes, so for me, there isn't a lot of redundant material.  O.k., yes, the Fairport I had on CD (o.k., except "Rising for the Moon" and for some reason, I never bought "Unhalfbricking" on CD.  I had it on LP back in highschool, but I think because between compilations, live versions, etc., I had the entire album on CD in one form or another.  And now I do!)  I think the set was pricey (though, buying it from Amazon UK saved at least a hundred dollars), but it is perfect for someone who wants to have an "instant" Sandy Denny collection.

I also didn't realize (or had forgotten) that the set included the Fotheringay 2 CD, which is cool.  

Anyway, so far I think it's a well designed, well organized set (doesn't jump around chronologically, etc. - which the "Who Knows..." set does).  

I just bought the 50th anniversary release of "Kind of Blue" by Miles Davis, and there's several false starts, in-studio conversations, etc., which are interesting to listen to, once or twice, but I don't think really necessary.  Though, I suppose for the people who are really interested in that type of thing, it's great.  And for the people who aren't, well, we can skip them and not burn those tracks to iPod.  Anyway, I was a little afraid that there would be a lot of "in process" demos; play for 30 seconds, talk, laugh, joke, play for another 30 seconds, etc.  Which again, interesting, but kind of breaks things up, and kind of feels like barrel scraping in terms of material.  Listening to the demo of "No End," there's some of that; Sandy talking to (I think) Trevor, but it's charming, not distracting.  A couple tracks of that is fine, but not when it is the majority of the CD.        

I took me mandolin to the party, but no one asked me to play it.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #156 on: November 24, 2010, 06:54:05 PM »

I also didn't realize (or had forgotten) that the set included the Fotheringay 2 CD, which is cool.  

Only the Sandy vocal tracks of course, not the whole album.  Same is true of Fairport and Strawbs material.
If Sandy doesn't sing it then the track isn't there.  Which makes perfect sense.

Shame they couldn't get clearance for The Battle Of Evermore with Led Zep - weird because it already featured on the single disc The Music Weaver CD.

Jules

Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #157 on: November 24, 2010, 06:57:53 PM »

Looking through the tracklisting, I noticed that the mammoth 19 CD set doesn't duplicate the Fairport or solo Sandy BBC stuff, though there are some previously unreleased BBC recordings.  On the one hand this is good in that it doesn't make my BBC box sets redundant.  On the other hand it's unbelievable that such an enormous set isn't actually complete!  It's also somewhat perverse in at least one instance - Disc 4 (which covers the Liege & Lief material) has only 9 tracks - there would certainly have been room for that same line-up's BBC recordings.

I have started listening though!  I chose Disc 14 to begin with - demos, alternate versions and live recordings from Fotheringay.  And it's all very good, but that almost goes without saying.

Jules

You're gonna be a busy boy Jules, you lucky bugger.  Keep us updated on all the hidden gems please.  

No Left Turn Unstoned
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #158 on: November 24, 2010, 07:13:09 PM »

You're gonna be a busy boy Jules, you lucky bugger.  Keep us updated on all the hidden gems please.  

I'll try.  I think it's going to be slow progress though.  It's kind of intimidating in a lovely way.  It took me 24 hours to choose the first disc to play!  Heh.

Jules

Jonathan

Loc: US

« Reply #159 on: November 24, 2010, 07:37:34 PM »

Only the Sandy vocal tracks of course, not the whole album.  Same is true of Fairport and Strawbs material.

Just realized that! Tongue   I was looking at the track-listing of "Fairport Live Convention" and thinking, "Oh, the CD is shorter than I remember it.  Where's 'Sloth?'"  Then realized that it was only tracks Sandy sang on.  Wow, it's like it was a Sandy Denny box set or something...  Brains apparently a little slow today...

I took me mandolin to the party, but no one asked me to play it.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: