TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 11, 2024, 01:07:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Albion Dance Band's 1976 record "The Prospect Before Us"  (Read 17734 times)
SJN
I love lists!!!

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2007, 01:33:37 PM »

I can hardly stop myself delving in my bag for the 'pod - mmm Scarecrow!

Siobhan - I must have stood next to you on at least one occasion... How many Lark Rise s?
THE BEST was the latest Doomsday final performance at the National, squashed next to Linda Thompson, the atmosphere positively electric!

Anyone know the tour schedule for the Lark Rise Band? There's nothing much on the Albions site and I'm desperate to see them again.

I only saw Lark Rise twice... good as it was, it never quite 'grabbed' me in the same way as the Mysteries.  Great music, though...

Best of The Mysteries for me was undoubtedly the very first season of 'The Passion' - nothing could quite top that.  Loved 'em all, though!

I've decided I don't do forums any more... see you elsewhere!
:-)
Polly Oxford (Andie)
give most things a go that don't involve jumping
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surrey/Sussex

Bloomin' Tall Ships...

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2007, 01:37:08 PM »

- The first 'Lay me Low'?
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2007, 02:03:30 PM »

The prospect before us is a great album. Favourite track is a guitar solo by Simon. I'm at work so havn't got it in front of me, but it is something about the merry sherwood rangers or something.
Paul

I have that on a single, believe it or not. Re-recorded on Before Your Time.

It's on the Box of Peggs as well, I think.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2007, 02:07:58 PM »

The prospect before us is a great album. Favourite track is a guitar solo by Simon. I'm at work so havn't got it in front of me, but it is something about the merry sherwood rangers or something.
Paul

What would Peggy be doing on an Ashley Hutchings band recording?  Wouldn't two electric basses create a rip in the space/time continuum?

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
SJN
I love lists!!!

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2007, 02:08:53 PM »

- The first 'Lay me Low'?

In The Nativity, wasn't it?

Just taking a trip down memory lane, and looking at the script of The Passion that I bought at the NT back in 1977 - songs in the original show were: Tomorrow Shall Be My Dancing Day (wonderful singing by John Tams); All In The Morning and The Moon Shines Bright (lovely Shirley Collins); Dives and Lazarus (this song was dropped later - I remember JT and Ron Taylor singing alternate verses from opposite sides of the first level balcony); Poor Old Man (Poor Old Horse!) and We Sing Hallelujah - oh, and of course there were the snippets Calvary Cross (which were really atmospheric).

...oh, and I remember the evening starting with a real bang with Uncle Bernard's - knocked everyone's socks off!  Even non-folkies that I dragged along would end up as converts to the folk rock cause - purely on the strength of the Albions playing of that tune.

aah, memories........

Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2007, 05:13:53 PM »

Paul

What would Peggy be doing on an Ashley Hutchings band recording?  Wouldn't two electric basses create a rip in the space/time continuum?

Jules

Peggy plays bass on Simon's version, which is in the set. I love it. I really need to get more of the Albion's stuff, as I only have Lark Rise and RULTS, which are both annoyingly on vinyl!

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
Staffan
Swedes stun easily
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Skärhamn, Sweden

"Always look on the bright side of life..."

« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2007, 05:29:08 PM »

All this Albion Band talk makes me want to dive into my vinyl collection. I just remebered a top Albion line-up (Tams, Sanders, Taylor,Whetstone(?), Morris Dancers) played the Student Union in Gothenburgh in the late 70´s, 1977 or 78.
I have a very nice live CD, BBC late 70s and early 80s, (I´m at work right now) but where can I get hold of Albion on CD. I´m not really keen on the Ashley box, I really can´t stand jumping back and forth during the decades. Fairport yes, Swarb yes and RT yes but there I draw my line of patience. So only CD´s made from the original vinyls. Thank you! Grin

" -Just a roll, just a roll..."

" -I was 16 now and full of life..."
Angela
all that hair bobbing about
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lost in Kent

« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM »

The Scarecow by Home Service is a wonderful song. Saw tham do it at Cambridge a few (a lot!) years ago.

This thread has re-awakened my love of the Albions, so I've been playing them most of the afternoon.  I've just put on Home Service's Allright Jack, but unfortunatly I only have it on the old cassette version and sadly it has had its day...... Angry

Luckily you can get most of the Albions and Homeservice on CD from Amazon and Musicfolk.
SJN
I love lists!!!

« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2007, 06:11:49 PM »

The Scarecow by Home Service is a wonderful song. Saw tham do it at Cambridge a few (a lot!) years ago.

This thread has re-awakened my love of the Albions, so I've been playing them most of the afternoon.  I've just put on Home Service's Allright Jack, but unfortunatly I only have it on the old cassette version and sadly it has had its day...... Angry

Luckily you can get most of the Albions and Homeservice on CD from Amazon and Musicfolk.

The first Home Service album is a real favourite of mine - Peat Bog Soldiers is stunning: full of 'moments' that send shivers down the spine; also love Old Man's Song (wonderful singing).  I must play the album now!!!!

Mindwarper
Embrace your inner geeky prog freak
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: S.F. Ca. USA

Friendly Drunkard

« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2007, 08:18:46 PM »

Its not on amazon us. Does anyone know a cheaper price for those in the US?

Apparently in stock at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Giles-Farnabys-Dream-Band-Farnaby/dp/B000RP2L8W

My interest is piqued ..... I may well investigate!

But not from here!!!!

http://vinyltap.co.uk/shop/artist/Giles+Farnaby's+Dream+Band.aspx

Stop the violens, Visualise whirled peas
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2007, 12:11:47 PM »

I have a very nice live CD, BBC late 70s and early 80s, (I´m at work right now) but where can I get hold of Albion on CD. I´m not really keen on the Ashley box, I really can´t stand jumping back and forth during the decades.

I know what you mean about the Ashley box.  Up to the late 70s, I can really get into his various projects, but from the 80s onwards much of his music leaves me cold.  I find it a little bland I must say.  Burning Bright necessitates a lot of CD programming.

I imagine that Talking Elephant (for new) and ebay (for secondhand) are good places to hunt for Albion stuff.

Jules

PL (Peter)
able to create swamp magic

Loc: SW Germany

If it`s Wednesday, you survived Tuesday.

« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2007, 01:27:18 PM »

but from the 80s onwards much of his music leaves me cold.  I find it a little bland I must say.

Agree with respect to his latest projet `Rainbow Chasers`.

On the other side, are you familiar with `Albion Heart - live` or under his own name - "if there is no ther way" ? 80s respectively 90s period.

Cracking it is to me, especially the Albion Heart - live album. Great songs, intriguing versions.
Highly recommended.

But anyway, this is music. You like it or you don`t and both is alright.

Peter
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2007, 02:11:31 PM »

Agree with respect to his latest project `Rainbow Chasers`.

Yes, and I was sad about that because I used to really enjoy listening to and watching Jo Hamilton sing her songs.  She sang on an old record of mine - we never met at the time though because she was in the studio while I was out.  Anyway I was gobsmacked when I saw she had hooked up with Ashley, but I wish she had him back playing the hell out of his Rickenbacker bass and doing something more dynamic.

Jules

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2007, 02:12:58 PM »

On the other side, are you familiar with `Albion Heart - live` or under his own name - "if there is no ther way" ? 80s respectively 90s period.

Other than any tracks that may be represented on Burning Bright or The Guv'nor series then no, I wouldn't be familiar.  Thanks for the tip though.

Jules

Polly Oxford (Andie)
give most things a go that don't involve jumping
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surrey/Sussex

Bloomin' Tall Ships...

« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2007, 06:04:08 PM »

Home Service has looped round my 'pod all weekend, must get the others on CD or download, have even been desperatley playing Vinyl for the first time in ages!!!
Thanks all for reminding me how good this all is, listening again has been a positive high!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: