TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
June 02, 2024, 04:53:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Old photos  (Read 189025 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #240 on: June 12, 2011, 08:51:06 PM »

Pyewackett (my Bellowhead of the 80s, only saw them a few times, but WOW!)

They were a good band...and yes, some similarities...

My first Cropredy too so many thanks for the photos  Smiley

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Shelley
satisfactory with some very good aspects
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Manchester

Give me some dots to follow and I'll be fine!

« Reply #241 on: June 12, 2011, 08:53:50 PM »

More what they did to me really - I was knocked about by the combination of instruments, especially the hammered dulcimer.  Nice to see a clarinet in a folk band too.

16 Apr - Todmorden Folk Festival; 18 May - Midway Folk Club, Stockport; 30 Apr - Tideswell Food Festival; 5 June - Manchester Histories Festival; 3 July - West Wycombe Park
Chris Line

Loc: Essex

Smile! - They're free!

« Reply #242 on: June 12, 2011, 09:07:05 PM »

Shelley

Thanks for posting your pictures they are all great. I particularly liked the one showing people dancing behind the fence.

If you have any ohers please post those as well.

If you want to modify your pics you could try the freeware program from www.gimp.org. (thats the Gnu Image Manipulation Program).

Does anybody read these bits?
Es

Loc: Wellingborough

« Reply #243 on: June 12, 2011, 10:27:22 PM »

Very intersting to see the picture of Prof Lacey from 82, I was there and somewhat confused and amused. I do remember however after the performance overhearing somebody asking the young lady what the performance represented, was it a pagan ceremony?, did it have some spiritual meaning?, was it all part of some grand transendental plan?, what was the significance of her role? etc all very deep and meaningful. After the question had finally been completed, the young ladies response was 'No I just like showing off!' a fitting answer that has stayed with me for nigh on thirty years

I really wish my mum hadn't done that!

Well it was very artistic and she is very talented
PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #244 on: June 12, 2011, 10:45:54 PM »

Pyewackett (my Bellowhead of the 80s, only saw them a few times, but WOW!)

Pyewackett were quite big for a short while. Do I remember The Man in the Moon Drinks Claret being voted best album by Radio 2 listeners one year? They used to play regularly in the National Theatre foyer.
Neil
About to blow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Oregon

« Reply #245 on: June 12, 2011, 10:49:40 PM »

These are old and fuzzy, and taken with one of those cameras that took 110 film, but I think you can see what's going on.  My first Cropredy, 1984:

Steeleye Span (Maddy with bump).  Note the security fence - and the fact that people are dancing inside it!

I am ashamed to say I can recognise myself in this picture, I was convinced there was no evidence of my attempt at dancing.

Things change all the time, and they'll probably never be the same again. It's just the natural evolution of the human condition. Guy Clark
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #246 on: June 12, 2011, 11:35:57 PM »

Wow, I love that Oysterband pic...who would be on bass there? Was it Chris(Taylor was that his name?)?

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #247 on: June 13, 2011, 03:39:56 AM »

You know, one thing I wanted to add, about this thread in particular, is, as someone who still shoots on film, what a delight it is to see those old scanned pictures. I'm trying to get a digital SLR, in addition to the trusty old Nikon N 80 35mm, but for my first Cropredy will be bringing that trusty Nikon, and my wifes little digital camera, along with my iphone. But for me, there is nothing more wonderful than stumbling upon that box of old pictures, grainy, in various sizes, color  washed out, etc, from the pre-digital age. I'm not knocking digital mind you, but will we feel the same way about digital shots 20 years from now (because lord knows what will be the technology at that point!) as we do about a lost box of treasures such as is being shared on this thread? Im happy we have scanning ability now, in fact I stumbled upon an old set of pics from my first trip to Ireland in 1983 which I hope to get scanned soon for preservation sake. I just wonder whether as we progress in the digital age will we still hold on to those semi blurred Cropredy pics from 2011? Oh that ones blurry, oh let me delete it, or its a nice shot of Fairport...except for that blokes head that got in the way...Delete! Just curious what people think, as I know there are some great photographers here on TAW.

Despite this, I hope its understood, keep them coming, this is a great thread!!

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #248 on: June 13, 2011, 07:16:22 AM »

Wow, I love that Oysterband pic...who would be on bass there? Was it Chris(Taylor was that his name?)?

I believe that's the Oyster Band as opposed to Oysterband  Wink Smiley  I still get annoyed when they try and 'hide' their early history, the Cathy le Surf stuff, Fiddlers Dram etc.  I'm still waiting for the Alan Prosser: The Afro Years compilation Smiley

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Shelley
satisfactory with some very good aspects
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Manchester

Give me some dots to follow and I'll be fine!

« Reply #249 on: June 13, 2011, 07:41:52 AM »

That hairdo was quite something wasn't it?

16 Apr - Todmorden Folk Festival; 18 May - Midway Folk Club, Stockport; 30 Apr - Tideswell Food Festival; 5 June - Manchester Histories Festival; 3 July - West Wycombe Park
Chris Line

Loc: Essex

Smile! - They're free!

« Reply #250 on: June 13, 2011, 07:47:21 PM »

Here is another picture of Steeleye Span from 1984.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Does anybody read these bits?
NancyDWrites
n3wb

« Reply #251 on: September 19, 2011, 03:24:49 AM »

Sorry to be so late to the party but wow -- I just had to say these photos are great. Thank you for posting them. And I agree with Shirl 100% -- Chris has undergone an amazing transformation for the better. He always was good looking but how many people can look so great decades later? I should be so lucky.

Roll Eyes

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #252 on: September 19, 2011, 07:44:16 AM »

Here is another picture of Steeleye Span from 1984.

I think Rose enjoyed it...  Wink Grin

Neil Morrell
Candlestick in the Library
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: St Helens, Lancs

Be careful Mr President - I think he's drunkkk!

« Reply #253 on: September 19, 2011, 08:31:08 AM »

You know, one thing I wanted to add, about this thread in particular, is, as someone who still shoots on film, what a delight it is to see those old scanned pictures. I'm trying to get a digital SLR, in addition to the trusty old Nikon N 80 35mm, but for my first Cropredy will be bringing that trusty Nikon, and my wifes little digital camera, along with my iphone. But for me, there is nothing more wonderful than stumbling upon that box of old pictures, grainy, in various sizes, color  washed out, etc, from the pre-digital age. I'm not knocking digital mind you, but will we feel the same way about digital shots 20 years from now (because lord knows what will be the technology at that point!) as we do about a lost box of treasures such as is being shared on this thread? Im happy we have scanning ability now, in fact I stumbled upon an old set of pics from my first trip to Ireland in 1983 which I hope to get scanned soon for preservation sake. I just wonder whether as we progress in the digital age will we still hold on to those semi blurred Cropredy pics from 2011? Oh that ones blurry, oh let me delete it, or its a nice shot of Fairport...except for that blokes head that got in the way...Delete! Just curious what people think, as I know there are some great photographers here on TAW.

Very much how I feel.

No longer active on TAW.  Cheers Y'all!!
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #254 on: September 19, 2011, 09:21:57 AM »

When my Mum & Dad died, I went through 500 albums, boxes and bags of old pictures. Most were forgettable, some were important, but marked by age and poor handling.

I threw away thousands of pics of my Mum stood in front of anonymous landscapes from holidays of 50 years.

I kept some, though, which are viewable as an archive  here.

I've been scanning my old pictures in for several years now and will be done by 2015.

My digital pictures take up a huge amount of storage and I have no doubt they'll all be deleted when I die.

All is ephemera.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Snodin

« Reply #255 on: December 06, 2011, 07:58:43 AM »

For no particular reason, an old photo of Mr T at Cropredy. Not sure of the year though.

[Photo over 400 days old. Removed by Admin.]
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #256 on: December 06, 2011, 10:31:07 AM »

Great photo...

'82/'83 ?

Sir Martin
ignore the signs for the dearie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hebden Bridge

« Reply #257 on: December 06, 2011, 11:23:27 AM »

What a great thread - and I've only just discovered it.

This might give me the incentive I need to get a slide scanner.

It's like the giant, generous, flip you to the world. Industry, the Internet, sport and the flipping Beatles. Flip you all melonfarmers, but especially Paris.
Pete Gray
Totally Scuppered

Loc: Coal Aston, Dronfield - Nr. Sheffield

« Reply #258 on: December 06, 2011, 01:00:21 PM »

This might give me the incentive I need to get a slide scanner.

Depending how particular you are about the results maybe try this : -
I just did some old slides by making a light box contraption out of white cardboard with an open top. An accurately cut slide sized hole in front, a B&Q cheapo tungsten angle poise hanging over the top, my digital camera on mini tripod focused on the illuminated slide - BINGO.
I made a few modifications, set up a shield above the slide to avoid direct light and tried Macro settings - The results were surprisingly good but I only had 30 or so slides to convert.

Staffan
Swedes stun easily
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Skärhamn, Sweden

"Always look on the bright side of life..."

« Reply #259 on: December 07, 2011, 11:05:35 AM »

Despite this, I hope its understood, keep them coming, this is a great thread!!

I take a risk here but there are many more "semi blurred" slides from Fairport and Cropredy from 1977 to late 80`s where these came from.  Wink

" -Just a roll, just a roll..."

" -I was 16 now and full of life..."
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 19   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: