TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 13, 2024, 12:45:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Liege and Lief era Fairport and Swarb  (Read 28724 times)
MarkC
is no Snoop Dogg

« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2012, 01:29:09 AM »

I can appreciate Liege and Lief, it's not my favorite album but I understand it's importance. I have come to expect my favorites to change on a daily basis as music is really about situation and feeling for me  rather than an analytical concerns. I even at times enjoy The Monkees more than the Beatles, although I have to admit the Beatles jokes are more long lasting.

Neil

100% agree!
MarkC
is no Snoop Dogg

« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2012, 01:33:21 AM »

There's never been a Little Feat without Lowell George.  Smiley  That other band is the Paul and Bill Show......

Also, Clarence and the latter Byrds sang Truck Stop Girl from the early Feats......so things just ain't adding up here!!!  Wink

And, also for the record, NINE might be my favorite Fairport album too!!  Smiley

All the excellent Little Feat records since 1986 would tend to contradict that, I think. Wink Part of it, I freely admit is that I dislike, for the most part, nostalgia. And, yes, I love "truck Stop Girl." I like it when the current Little feat line up does it, too. Smiley "Nine" is amazing. But if I HAD to pick my all time favorite Fairport record (an unenviable task!), I would go with "Jewel in the Crown."
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2012, 06:09:00 AM »

There's never been a Little Feat without Lowell George.  Smiley  That other band is the Paul and Bill Show......

I soooo disagree with this.  Little Feat are a magnificent band and still well within their rights to trade on the illustrious name...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jay Peter
any noun can be verbed

« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2012, 07:34:33 AM »

A bit later, but The Rolling Thunder Revue had Scarlett Rivera. And she was on Desire. "Pistol shots ring out on a bar room night......................"

And that album influenced Mike Scott to find Steve Wickham, The Waterboys' fiddling superstar.

Jules

I hadn't made that connection but it makes perfect sense when you think of it. Scarlett's sound was pretty different for a chart album if I remember rightly.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2012, 09:55:48 AM »

Just weighing in---I first got into Fairport via "Nine," which I still love. I didn't hear L&L until s few years later and (to my ears) it was fantastic for its day, but hasn't aged all that well. What can I say? I also prefer the latter period Byrds as well. Same with Little Feat. I don't expect anyone here to agree, though. No worries.

Truth be known, my very favorite Fairport record is still the next one...

until you've actually  heard it

Very cynical, and definitely not true for my ears.

cynical ? maybe,  but triue for many other people's ears. I, too, always look forward to FC's next record in the hope they will record something that will bear some comparison to the output of the first 12 years, so far i've been waiting in vain but I live in hope if i die in despair

The Dude abides
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2012, 12:10:12 PM »

Scarlett's sound was pretty different for a chart album if I remember rightly.  

Desire had a beautiful sound.  Dylan's most musical album, to my mind.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Rory.
onions aren't meant to be grated
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Brighton

« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2012, 02:28:30 PM »

Scarlett's sound was pretty different for a chart album if I remember rightly.  

Desire had a beautiful sound.  Dylan's most musical album, to my mind.

Jules

I've got a shoulder that goes into spasm twice an hour and it's excruciating, what's more, Jim just hurt it more by making me laugh with his post there.

However, this. I love Desire, I'm not sure what "most musical" means, but it's a great listen.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2012, 02:35:29 PM »

I'm not sure what "most musical" means, but it's a great listen.

Dylan's melodies are very rich and tuneful on that record.  Plus the combination of vocal, guitar, fiddle, bass and drums sounds so right.  Plus the production is clear and vibrant.  That's sort of what I meant by "musical".

Jules

Rory.
onions aren't meant to be grated
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Brighton

« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2012, 02:45:18 PM »

I'm not sure what "most musical" means, but it's a great listen.

Dylan's melodies are very rich and tuneful on that record.  Plus the combination of vocal, guitar, fiddle, bass and drums sounds so right.  Plus the production is clear and vibrant.  That's sort of what I meant by "musical".

Jules

it was "most" I was having trouble with. I think once he plugged in and started adding layers his stuff became very "musical" in the way you describe, but I also love the drive and the immediacy of just him and the guitar.

And although I enjoy others singing his songs, I can't really imagine anyone else singing something like Idiot Wind or Visions of Joanna with the same impact.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2012, 05:06:51 PM »

it was "most" I was having trouble with. I think once he plugged in and started adding layers his stuff became very "musical" in the way you describe, but I also love the drive and the immediacy of just him and the guitar.

I think he/they got it bang on, on both Blood On The Tracks and Desire.

Earlier albums with other musicians, despite their fine qualities, are often inspired, or rockin', or whatever else, but I wouldn't necessarily over-praise their musicality.

Jules

Andy Cutts

Loc: South Leicestershire

Must remember, SMALL bag, BIG tent!

« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2012, 09:37:16 PM »

It looks like I've missed some interesting posts while I was off getting a laptop transplant.
I was happy with the change of direction after L&L, in fact Full House and Angel Delight are two of my favourite Fairport albums.
The same with the Byrds, I can listen and enjoy anything they produced.   I still wish that I had gone to see them at the Lincoln Folk Festival in 1971.
As for Little Feat, I do prefer the Lowell George era, but I'll listen to anything that they bring out.  I managed to get some autographs in a Neon Park book of his artwork at Cropredy.  It was one of my all time wishes to see them play there, pity it was such a sad occasion.  
I'm also a PPL fan and love electric violins. It looks like I will have to look out for some Seatrain and High Tide CD's.  Check out albums by the U.S.group The Fourth Way, I used to have Werewolf on vinyl.    P.S. I've just remembered The Holy Modal Rounders and The Insect Trust,  It looks like Amazon is going to see some business quite soon.  
Pat Helms
Long live Freewheelin' Franklin!!

Loc: E. TENNESSEE

Often wrong.....never in doubt

« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2012, 04:44:10 PM »

There's never been a Little Feat without Lowell George.  That other band is the Paul and Bill Show......

I soooo disagree with this.  Little Feat are a magnificent band and still well within their rights to trade on the illustrious name...

I didn't say the Paul and Bill band sucked.  I like them fine and have seen them several times over the years.  I just don't think there can be a Little Feat without the Big Toe.  Silly opinion? Sure, fine!  Smiley

BTW: The Byrds are one of my top three favorite bands - ever.  I do prefer the Hillman era stuff over the Clarence-Parsons albums, but I still really like those later ones as well.......except Byrdmaniax - I draw the line on that one.
Peter H-K
inexperienced in matters ebayular

Loc: North Lancashire

« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2012, 08:56:30 PM »

BTW: The Byrds are one of my top three favorite bands - ever.  I do prefer the Hillman era stuff over the Clarence-Parsons albums, but I still really like those later ones as well.......except Byrdmaniax - I draw the line on that one.

And who are the other two?

(Love the mention of Freewheelin' Franklin in your signature, by the way! Gosh, that takes me back! Though I was always a Phineas fan myself ....)
Pat Helms
Long live Freewheelin' Franklin!!

Loc: E. TENNESSEE

Often wrong.....never in doubt

« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2012, 09:17:33 PM »

(Love the mention of Freewheelin' Franklin in your signature, by the way! Gosh, that takes me back! Though I was always a Phineas fan myself ....)

The Dead and Fairport (extended family included)   Smiley
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2012, 08:48:46 AM »

I even quite like Byrdmaniax!  At least four superb songs on there (Kathleen's Song, Pale Blue, Jamaica Say You Will, and Absolute Happiness).

Jules

PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2012, 10:52:21 AM »

Is my memory playing tricks or have loads of rock bands had fiddles?

Mahavishnu Orchestra (J-L Ponty), Soft Machine (can't remember who that was), East of Eden (Dave Arbus), Family (Ric Grech - who is also on the Fairport Heyday CD), It's a Beautiful Day (David LaFlamme), Flock (Jerry Goodman), John Mayall's Bluesbreakers (Sugar Cane Harris), Jefferson Airplane (Papa John Creech). Didn't Rick Danko play fiddle in The Band?
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2012, 11:44:16 AM »

soft machine was our very own Ric

The Dude abides
Peter H-K
inexperienced in matters ebayular

Loc: North Lancashire

« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2012, 12:01:54 PM »

The Dead and Fairport (extended family included)   Smiley

Ah the Dead! How I love them! Being on this side of the pond, I had thought I would never see them. But fortunately, I did, just the once, five years before Garcia's demise. The gig really sticks in my mind because it was utterly unlike any other concert I've ever seen.
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #58 on: October 06, 2012, 02:54:46 PM »

Is my memory playing tricks or have loads of rock bands had fiddles?

Mahavishnu Orchestra (J-L Ponty), Soft Machine (can't remember who that was), East of Eden (Dave Arbus), Family (Ric Grech - who is also on the Fairport Heyday CD), It's a Beautiful Day (David LaFlamme), Flock (Jerry Goodman), John Mayall's Bluesbreakers (Sugar Cane Harris), Jefferson Airplane (Papa John Creech). Didn't Rick Danko play fiddle in The Band?

Didn't The Wombles have a fiddle player in 'Remember You're a Womble'? Grin

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
MarkC
is no Snoop Dogg

« Reply #59 on: October 06, 2012, 06:52:56 PM »

Yeah, someone dropped the ball on that one. "Untitled" is by far my favorite Byrds record, though.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: