TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 13, 2024, 09:37:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Liege and Lief era Fairport and Swarb  (Read 28729 times)
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2012, 03:38:47 PM »

Is my memory playing tricks or have loads of rock bands had fiddles?

Not enough of 'em if you ask me!

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2012, 03:46:10 PM »

Not enough of 'em if you ask me!

Jules

It's a Beautiful Day, and Flock were a couple from around that time. I don't remember any rock bands using fiddle at all in the early days of FC. But I will be now proved wrong I expect..  Grin

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2012, 04:24:30 PM »

Family, Curved Air, String Driven Thing, ELO, Velvets (viola), Mahavishnu, Jefferson Airplane, Mayall,King Crimson, Roxy, Zappa, hawkwind etc

Some big names there.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
arie

« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2012, 04:26:37 PM »

It's a Beautiful Day, and Flock were a couple from around that time. I don't remember any rock bands using fiddle at all in the early days of FC. But I will be now proved wrong I expect..  Grin

I know of two others, albeit that it wasn't before 1970/71 that I learned about them

Bobby Notkoff played electric violin first with Electric Flag (1967), after that with the Rockets (1968 - LP on White Whale). When that last group became Crazy Horse under the guidance of Neil Young he wasn't part of it, but he did play on the song "Running Dry (Requiem for the Rockets)" of their first album together "Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere" (1969)

Seatrain with Richard Greene on electric violin started in 1969, when Peter Rowan joined in 1970 they became rather wellknown

Then there's the electric viola, as played by John Cale in the Velvet Underground......
Albie
or tea, if that is your cup of tea
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2012, 04:40:01 PM »

Little Feat were obviously at their peak with Lowell but their set a couple of years ago was one of the best I've seen in 25 years of Cropredy.

Leatherat and Levellers of course, if you count them as rock bands, which I do. A band from the 70s I was rather fond of who played a fiddle (all the time or was it just some of the time, my memory fades) was Bethnal, who were lumped in with punk/new wave but weren't really, they were more like hard rock, saw them a few times, was convinced as I so often was back then that they would be huge, sadly they weren't.

Have to agree about Little Feat, can't match your 25 Cropredys but certainly one of the best live performances I have ever seen anywhere.
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2012, 05:55:06 PM »

I also prefer the latter period Byrds as well. Same with Little Feat. I don't expect anyone here to agree, though. No worries.

Shurely shome mishtake?Huh?   I do like all stages of the Byrds catalogue, but can't imagine ANYONE preferring Little Feat's output post Lowell George? IMHO.
[/quote

I actually quite liked the reformed 80's band with Craig Fuller. He has a great voice and I have long been a fan of him. When Shaun Murphy took over I did not quite understand that move. She's a great singer (been providing those great background vocals for Bob Seger for years) but I didnt see the point

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: S.W. London

One man gathers what another man spills

« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2012, 06:32:29 PM »

Yes Robert, I liked Craig Fuller from his earlier band Pure Prairie League, but I couldn't believe it when they brought him in as LG's replacement. 'Twas never going to work for me. It left me 'Cold, cold,cold' - if you'll excuse the pun.  Roll Eyes

No Left Turn Unstoned
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2012, 08:39:07 PM »

Yes Robert, I liked Craig Fuller from his earlier band Pure Prairie League

The first two PPL albums are wonderful.  Big time faves of mine.

Jules

Pat Helms
Long live Freewheelin' Franklin!!

Loc: E. TENNESSEE

Often wrong.....never in doubt

« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2012, 10:29:15 PM »

The Dixie Dregs had some great fiddling.
jimc

« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2012, 10:50:37 PM »

Doesn't some of David Lindley's work with Jackson Browne come into this timescale?
Gouty (Gary)
still struggling with the theme to Bagpuss
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2012, 12:24:15 AM »

The only question whenever there is a lineup change is do you want the new line up or nothing at all? Because thats the only choice you've effectively got. We should be thankful that certain members have kept it going for so long.

Succinctly and rather wonderfully put.  Smiley

'Eggs, bread, cigs, milk...'
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2012, 12:18:33 PM »

Didn't Jim Lea (bass player with Slade, who co-wrote most of their songs) also play violin? 'Coz I Luv U' springs to mind

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Peter Taylor

Loc: Bolton

« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2012, 12:33:23 PM »

Didn't Jim Lea (bass player with Slade, who co-wrote most of their songs) also play violin? 'Coz I Luv U' springs to mind

They used to do a version of Paint It Black with violin intro
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2012, 01:34:46 PM »

Yup.  Bass, piano, violin, guitar - quite the talent.  Slade's own Paul McCartney.

Jules

PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2012, 06:59:27 PM »

East of Eden - Dave Arbus - also played on Who's Next.  And I think Graeme Smith(?) from String Driven Thing played in Van Def Graff Generator at one time.

Magma certainly had Didier Lockwood on violin - even Gong had a (jazz) violin around time of the "Shamal" LP.

Papa John Creach from the Airplane, Greg Molina was it from Quicksilver...?

Flobbadob!
Mr Cat (Lewis)
Probably bad form to quote yourself
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Vancouver, BC Canada

« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2012, 07:34:16 PM »

How about "High Tide", featuring Simon House, later with Hawkwind, Bowie and I believe Jude - they were about as rock music as you can get?

Thank Drunk I'm God
Jay Peter
any noun can be verbed

« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2012, 07:55:36 PM »

A bit later, but The Rolling Thunder Revue had Scarlett Rivera. And she was on Desire. "Pistol shots ring out on a bar room night......................"
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2012, 09:23:32 PM »

A bit later, but The Rolling Thunder Revue had Scarlett Rivera. And she was on Desire. "Pistol shots ring out on a bar room night......................"

And that album influenced Mike Scott to find Steve Wickham, The Waterboys' fiddling superstar.

Jules

MarkC
is no Snoop Dogg

« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2012, 01:26:30 AM »

Just weighing in---I first got into Fairport via "Nine," which I still love. I didn't hear L&L until s few years later and (to my ears) it was fantastic for its day, but hasn't aged all that well. What can I say? I also prefer the latter period Byrds as well. Same with Little Feat. I don't expect anyone here to agree, though. No worries.

Truth be known, my very favorite Fairport record is still the next one...

until you've actually  heard it

Very cynical, and definitely not true for my ears.
MarkC
is no Snoop Dogg

« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2012, 01:28:12 AM »

I also prefer the latter period Byrds as well. Same with Little Feat. I don't expect anyone here to agree, though. No worries.

Shurely shome mishtake?Huh?   I do like all stages of the Byrds catalogue, but can't imagine ANYONE preferring Little Feat's output post Lowell George? IMHO.

You don't have to imagine it: here I am. Don't take that wrong, though---I love Lowell's work. But I also love what they've done since then. Shaun Murphy is actually the one I miss the most.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: