TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 08, 2024, 09:24:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Word in Your Ear with Fairport & Sandy  (Read 5938 times)
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« on: February 16, 2015, 12:04:01 PM »

Courtesy of the people behind the now-defunct Word Magazine...

Ashley Hutchings and Simon Nicol were founder members of Fairport Convention (in fact Simon's never left), a band now cantering into its 38th year in support of its cracking new Myths & Heroes album.

The pair were both part of the '68 line-up that recruited Sandy Denny and made the three immortal records that sealed their reputation. Her life and sublime recordings are celebrated in a fascinating new biography by Mick Houghton called I've Always Kept A Unicorn.
So this next Word In Your Ear is a pioneering five-way special: Ashley, Simon and Mick - with David Hepworth and Mark Ellen. There'll be arcane tales, fond memories, nice beer - and, if you bring them, meat pies. We'll pretend we're sitting round a bonfire.
It's at the appropriately folk-sounding Slaughtered Lamb in Clerkenwell. Get in - and book early.

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/special-fairport-convention-and-sandy-denny-evening-with-simon-nicol-ashley-hutchings-and-mick-tickets-15776216087

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 12:54:42 PM »

Shame about the date. I would have been there in an instant but I can't manage a Monday. Will have to wait for the podcast.

But 38 years? Surely some mishtake.

On a related note, where do you get the updates about these events from Shane? I would love to get to one or two. The recordings are unfailingly entertaining.
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 01:17:37 PM »

I was a subscriber to The Word at one point and I think David Hepworth just uses that list to send round updates.  

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 01:23:24 PM »

There's a mailing list sign-up to the right (and down a bit) on that web page.....see you there!

GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 03:05:15 PM »

I was a subscriber to The Word at one point and I think David Hepworth just uses that list to send round updates.  

Don't think that can be it. I was a subscriber right up until the death but I have never received anything. However, I will follow the link identified by Chris below.
Philip W
forgiving of the rhetorical flourish

Loc: Cambs

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 03:43:06 PM »

Ashley Hutchings and Simon Nicol were founder members of Fairport Convention (in fact Simon's never left)

He was out for five years, wasn't he, in the 70s?  Huh

Blogs at Brush on Drum and tweets at @PhilipEMWard
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 03:49:15 PM »

I'm disappointed with the Word chaps.  How many pretty damned fundamental errors is it possible to get in one small statement?!

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: