TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 08, 2024, 05:10:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Airing Cupboard v. Across The Decades  (Read 5454 times)
Austin S

Loc: Iowa City, IA, USA

« on: July 19, 2013, 04:35:54 PM »

Greetings, all!

I'm looking to finally pick myself up a copy of Airing Cupboard Tapes (one of the few glaring holes left in my collection) and noticed the (quite less expensive) collection 'Across The Decades' available on Amazon. The second disc is the '02 Cropredy stuff I already have, but the first disc looks strikingly like the Airing Cupboard collection... Is there any advantage/disadvantage to choosing one of those over the others? Anything especially cool in the booklets of either?

Thanks
Austin
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 04:49:04 PM »

The Airing Cupboard version I have came from Talking Elephant, and has some of their typical mistakes on packaging, but I don't recall anything special in the booklet, other than the rarity of notes by DM and a few pictures. Included is a track containing probably the most noteworthy Fairport/Texas event, though it happened in San Antonio rather than Austin. That being the show in which Simon supposedly decided he no longer wanted to be in Fairport halfway through Sloth! There is a good version of Jerry doing The Claw as well. If the track listing is the same on both, you may as well go for it.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 04:49:47 PM »

I don't have Across The Decades so I can't evaluate that but Dave Mattacks' sleevenotes for The Airing Cupboard Tapes, whilst not extensive, are well worth having.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 04:51:41 PM »

Here's an outline of what is on Across The Decades: http://www.musikfolk.co.uk/expletive-delighted/cd-2-acrossthedecades.htm.  Looks like The Airing Cupboard CD actually has more tracks than are on this one, and the second CD is a mixture of stuff from various places but almost none rare.  The Expletive Delighted site is a very good one for finding out about these kind of compilations.  

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Austin S

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 04:59:12 PM »

I'm a bit of a completionist when it comes to liner notes and the like, so DM's notes alone make me lean towards getting the Talking Elephant release. Will's poining towards the Expletive Delighted site is also very much appreciated-- don't know why I hadn't thought to check there.

Thanks for the advice, all!  Smiley
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 05:04:13 PM »

And I must apologize...I somehow read your name as Austin, thinking it was another member here who IS from Austin, though not his name! So that is the reason for my remarks about Texas. Sorry about that  Wink

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Austin S

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2013, 05:07:07 PM »

Quite alright, mate!  Wink A secretary at college called me both Dallas and Houston a number of times before pinning down which Texas city I shared a name with. The Texas connection is unavoidable! (That being said, if I have to share a name with a city in Texas, that'd definitely be my personal pick)
Staffan
Swedes stun easily
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Skärhamn, Sweden

"Always look on the bright side of life..."

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2013, 05:28:28 PM »

As you probably already noticed from the splendid discography at Musikfolk, only three tracks are missing on AtD compared to the ACT: a Buddy Holly cover, a Chris Kenner cover and a fine Jerry Donahue led Jerry Reed instrumental "The Claw". Only the last is of any greater value, to my mind. I would say that if you're not a diehard Fairport completist, Across the Decades will do fine!  Cool

" -Just a roll, just a roll..."

" -I was 16 now and full of life..."
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: S.W. London

One man gathers what another man spills

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2013, 06:39:22 PM »

As you probably already noticed from the splendid discography at Musikfolk, only three tracks are missing on AtD compared to the ACT: a Buddy Holly cover, a Chris Kenner cover and a fine Jerry Donahue led Jerry Reed instrumental "The Claw". Only the last is of any greater value, to my mind. I would say that if you're not a diehard Fairport completist, Across the Decades will do fine!  Cool

I can tell from his posts Staffan, that he is indeed a 'diehard Fairport completist' !!    Grin

No Left Turn Unstoned
Austin S

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2013, 06:51:48 PM »

I can tell from his posts Staffan, that he is indeed a 'diehard Fairport completist' !!    Grin

Glad to be guilty as charged!!!  Wink
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: