TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 08, 2024, 10:15:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Acoustic Tour 2009  (Read 82641 times)
Tim Fletcher
Spotify hasn't heard of him either!
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London - almost Muswell Hill!

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2009, 10:10:16 PM »

Just to mention that May 29th is The Duchess in York, rather than the Duchess of York in Leeds.

http://www.theduchessyork.co.uk/whats-on/detail/121

I really must get around to thinking up something witty and urbane to put here.
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2009, 08:43:02 AM »

wooohooo Southampton  AND Portsmouth ...   Shocked Grin Fez
nuff said Cheesy

A splendid range of real ales at the Talking Heads, though. Smiley
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2009, 09:10:05 AM »

A Welsh date  Smiley

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Big Dave
Virtual Giant
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hadfield (in the glorious High Peak of Derbyshire)

Stand us a pint guv!

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2009, 10:18:53 AM »

Not Lichfield Arts again! Difficult to get back from late at night.  Can only assume the chaps have fallen with the Robin at Bilston  Sad (which dead easy to get to/from)

Live life, live love, Live for FAIRPORT!!!!!!
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2009, 10:49:15 AM »

I am a dozy git....and obviously still haven't got my bearings in Denbighshire yet....yes there is a Welsh date, but Chester is just up the road, and it's a Friday night too.  Hoorah  Smiley

And tickets just ordered very straighforwardly online - http://alexanderslive.com/index.html with a print your own ticket option as well.  Good range of gigs coming up - the biggest inc Fairport are billed as outside concerts? - The Animals, Maggie Bell & Dave Kelly, Steve Gibbons, Family Mahone, Chris Farlowe, Blues Band etc etc

Oh dear, just noticed what it says on the website:

Fairport Convention, the legendary band and originaters of folkrock music, is in its 25th year. They perform a selection of material old and new - as well as favourites from their enormous back catalogue, the band will be playing songs and instrumentals from their most recent albums. Fairport's personnel has gradually evolved since that first Tour back in 1984. This year's line-up features Simon Nicol (vocals, guitar), Dave Pegg (bass guitar), Ric Sanders (violin), Chris Leslie (mandolin, fiddle, vocals) and Gerry Conway (drums).

This is what happens when you start inventing 25th anniversaries out of thin air!  I've written to them and told them to learn large sections of the (fairly accurate) Wiki article and that I'll be retesting them in a week.

Grin
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 11:05:28 AM by davidmjs » Logged

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2009, 11:21:27 AM »

I am a dozy git....and obviously still haven't got my bearings in Denbighshire yet....yes there is a Welsh date, but Chester is just up the road, and it's a Friday night too.  Hoorah  Smiley

And tickets just ordered very straighforwardly online - http://alexanderslive.com/index.html with a print your own ticket option as well.  Good range of gigs coming up - the biggest inc Fairport are billed as outside concerts? - The Animals, Maggie Bell & Dave Kelly, Steve Gibbons, Family Mahone, Chris Farlowe, Blues Band etc etc

Fairport Convention, the legendary band and originaters of folkrock music, is in its 25th year. They perform a selection of material old and new - as well as favourites from their enormous back catalogue, the band will be playing songs and instrumentals from their most recent albums. Fairport's personnel has gradually evolved since that first Tour back in 1984. This year's line-up features Simon Nicol (vocals, guitar), Dave Pegg (bass guitar), Ric Sanders (violin), Chris Leslie (mandolin, fiddle, vocals) and Gerry Conway (drums).

This is what happens when you start inventing 25th anniversaries out of thin air!  I've written to them and told them to learn large sections of the (fairly accurate) Wiki article and that I'll be retesting them in a week.

Grin

Though in their defence, the band themselves have been talking up this year as being the 25th consecutive year of touring as a full time concern since resumption of activities.
Dave Russell
Has a strangE PracticE

Loc: Chester

Grumpy Old Man

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2009, 11:33:14 AM »

Grin

Yes, for the summer outside concerts they reserve the courtyard outside Alexanders for the audience.  The bands play on a small covered stage.  Based on the local weather in recent years, Fairport on May 15th is a better bet than the brothers and I on July 3rd.  We shall see...
If anyone should fancy a weekend in Chester there is usually the splendid charity beer festival at the Rugby Club that middle weekend in May.  And plenty of real ale pubs to sample during the day on the Saturday.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2009, 11:37:29 AM »

Grin

Though in their defence, the band themselves have been talking up this year as being the 25th consecutive year of touring as a full time concern since resumption of activities.

In which case, it's 2 years out (or 1, depending on what you mean by 'consecutive' ie do you count the first year)...the first full winter tour with the new post-Swarb band being in 1986.  The preceeding Winter tours (sometimes called Christmas and New Year tours) in the years 1981 (not sure about 80) to 1985 do rather confuse the issue too...  Smiley

Dr Clive

Loc: Chiswell Green, St Albans

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2009, 11:42:07 AM »

Tics for Hertford Corn Exchange ordered yesterday - it seems that it's a "standing-only" gig - haven't been to one of those for nearly 40 years (apart from Cropredy)! Cheesy

DC
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2009, 11:50:34 AM »

Standing only acoustic gig?......

GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2009, 12:07:07 PM »

Grin

In which case, it's 2 years out (or 1, depending on what you mean by 'consecutive' ie do you count the first year)...the first full winter tour with the new post-Swarb band being in 1986.  The preceeding Winter tours (sometimes called Christmas and New Year tours) in the years 1981 (not sure about 80) to 1985 do rather confuse the issue too...  Smiley

Dunno!  Embarrassed All I know is that Simon referred to the current tour during the Worthing gig (and I think in the programme) as being the 25th consecutive winter tour, acknowledging that the first of these was with the Swarb, Nicol, Pegg, DM (or was it Bruce?) line up and that by the following year everything ad changed, restoring Fairport to a 5 piece.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2009, 12:21:06 PM »

Dunno!  Embarrassed All I know is that Simon referred to the current tour during the Worthing gig (and I think in the programme) as being the 25th consecutive winter tour, acknowledging that the first of these was with the Swarb, Nicol, Pegg, DM (or was it Bruce?) line up and that by the following year everything ad changed, restoring Fairport to a 5 piece.

That's interesting...it at least explains the thinking!  It's all those Winter/Spring dates in the 4 years before that rather distorts the accuracy of the anniversary!  I think DM was in the band in early '85...he certainly toured the US with Swarb, Simon and Peggy a bit later in the year, the final dates with Swarb on board as a full member.  Prior to that it was with Bruce.  In any case, the band as a whole have definitely been going longer than 25 years....on that I'm sure we can agree, so hopefully Alexanders will amend their website accordingly (Did you see how I got that back on topic?!).  Smiley

Hurricane (Dan)
Do you think it might be worth 'owt?

Loc: Manchester

« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2009, 12:55:57 PM »

Standing only acoustic gig?......

As was the gig at Fibbers in York on last year's acoustic tour - and much the better for it too! And will probably be so at The Duchess this year.

One of Fairport's best acoustic gigs I have been to was all standing at Manchester's Band on ther Wall a few years ago.

They should do a Standing Room Only full tour!

My wife and kids are leaving me because of my obsession with horse racing. They're at the gate now. And they're off!
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2009, 12:57:55 PM »

Hear hear!

Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2009, 01:01:38 PM »

One of Fairport's best acoustic gigs I have been to was all standing at Manchester's Band on ther Wall a few years ago.

it wasnt all standing, i got a very nice seat at the side of the stage, but it was the best fairport gig i have been to since the 79 split, great energy from the band and a responsive crowd
the band on the wall should be open again soon, shouldnt it?

The Dude abides
fat Billy(Bill)
Babycham Bill
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: deepest suffolk

may decay in direct sunlight

« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2009, 01:05:03 PM »

bugger!! I will be in knighton when the chaps are in colchester
Hurricane (Dan)
Do you think it might be worth 'owt?

Loc: Manchester

« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2009, 01:07:47 PM »

it wasnt all standing, i got a very nice seat at the side of the stage, but it was the best fairport gig i have been to since the 79 split, great energy from the band and a responsive crowd

All standing except for a few bar tables and stools wasn't it?! Similar a few lears later at Life Cafe Bar on Peter Steet in Mcr City Centre. Why do Fairport miss out Manchester on every full or acoustic tour now? Are we the only city this happens to?

My wife and kids are leaving me because of my obsession with horse racing. They're at the gate now. And they're off!
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2009, 01:09:43 PM »

Hear hear!

Definitely.....but for me - electric, please!

Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2009, 01:17:00 PM »

All standing except for a few bar tables and stools wasn't it?! Similar a few lears later at Life Cafe Bar on Peter Steet in Mcr City Centre. Why do Fairport miss out Manchester on every full or acoustic tour now? Are we the only city this happens to?

that night at the life cafe was one i wont forget for a long time, the gig ended at 11.00pm and i was back to the car park for 5 past only to find that the paris of the norths car parks close for the night at 11 sharp and i had to pay for a taxi home and then get a pal to pick me up in the morning, take me back to the car park and get the car back  for some unfeasably large sum , get home them go to work like nowt had happened, bastard ncp and the now demolished gartside st multi story and the useless bloody council
rant over

The Dude abides
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2009, 01:21:02 PM »

Hear hear!

Definitely.....but for me - electric, please!

Yep - I think they should do a tour of Rock Venues myself.  Places like

Robin 2
Crewe Limelight
Half Moon, Putney
Nottingham Rock City
Patti, Swansea

Sweaty dives, you know the kind of thing....keep dancing and if you stop your feet will stick to the floor.  Those theatres bore me to tears....

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: