TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 30, 2024, 04:42:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Acoustic Tour 2009  (Read 84062 times)
Red Shoes (Caz+Mark)
never built a bear in my life
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Birmingham

The bass player's back !

« Reply #140 on: May 20, 2009, 09:22:25 PM »

Is anyone going to the Bromsgrove gig?

C&M

Back working on new album, with Peggy on base and a certain fiddle player who should be knighted :-)
Bernie

« Reply #141 on: May 21, 2009, 09:48:00 AM »

Bury tonight....anyone going ??  

Bernie (Southport)
Dave Russell
Has a strangE PracticE

Loc: Chester

Grumpy Old Man

« Reply #142 on: May 21, 2009, 06:31:08 PM »

Extremely disappointing Chester show, through no fault of the band, it should be added.  Was supposed to be outside but raining so had to come in but Alexanders were woefully unprepared for such an eventuality.  Then PA broke (I believe).  Let in at 8 pm in order to witness a sound check (what fun) whilst being crammed into far too small a space due to (what would have been a great dancefloor) the, believe it or not, diners crammed in in front of the stage (the waitering and the loud talking from some of the diners continued throughout the gig).  Band came on at 9.15.  I wasn't paying too much attention by then tbh and left halfway through the second set due to being too hot and bothered.  Won't be going back to Alexanders.  Harumph.

The venue had hired in a digital desk (in order to provide enough channels) which proceeded to lose all its memory 2/3 way through the sound check - back to square 1, hence the sound problems.  After re-doing all the line checks assisted by Chris Hassall the house engineer and Chris Leslie, Simon the sound man did a fantastic job getting it all together more or less on the fly during the first couple of numbers.  And the band were on good form, I thought.  Set list as reported elsewhere.   Diners / crammed / variable bar service are typical of Alexanders, I'm afraid.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #143 on: May 21, 2009, 06:34:34 PM »

Diners / crammed / variable bar service are typical of Alexanders, I'm afraid.

But you keep going back...with the band, and as a punter?  Not much incentive for them to improve then really is there?  Undecided

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Angela
all that hair bobbing about
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lost in Kent

« Reply #144 on: May 22, 2009, 06:51:36 PM »

Chris Leslie has written some News From The Front! (of the van...)

http://www.fairportconvention.com/general_news.php#news2
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #145 on: May 22, 2009, 08:33:51 PM »

I thought that Handsonic of Gerry's was a set of bathroom scales! Wink Grin
KascadeDan
A teenager at last
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: New Romney, Kent

I can't read the lines, let alone in-between!

« Reply #146 on: May 22, 2009, 10:04:37 PM »

I think you meant Chgris Leslie?

Imponderable Joy
Goaty
Ewen the Navigator
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Son of a Nun

« Reply #147 on: May 23, 2009, 07:57:03 AM »

I thought that Handsonic of Gerry's was a set of bathroom scales! Wink Grin

I've got one of those!  Looks like an alien toilet seat lid.  Endless fun they are...

I could be the catalyst that sparks the revolution, I could be an inmate in a long-term institution ...
Dr Clive

Loc: Chiswell Green, St Albans

« Reply #148 on: May 23, 2009, 11:34:18 AM »

Strange gig at Hertford Corn Exchange last night - mainly because I hadn't been to an all-standing gig since the 70's! The atmosphere certainly took me back several decades!. We were also treated to the obligatory noisy drunk, and I think the "standing only" setting seemed to give some people the feeling that they should feel free to talk amongst themselves between and during the songs. However, the "true" fans (as opposed to those who just wandered in off the street) seemed to be in a significant majority, and judging by the reaction of one of the Security (yes!) guys, the audience was somewhat different to their more usual clientele at that venue (he stood at the exit as we left offering his profuse thanks for being such a well-behaved crowd!).

Anyway, the band was up to the usual standard, despite the intense heat, indeed they chose to stand for the second half, explaining that the heat was in danger of putting them to sleep if they continued sitting down.

The set was pretty much as reported previously, I think, including "Best Wishes" as well as MOTL as encores.

Apologies to the lads for not staying to say hello at the end - we were too had and tired! Make that hot and tired!

DC
jaypeter (Peter)
ROFLMAFLOFLEBLOF
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #149 on: May 23, 2009, 11:40:52 AM »

and I think the "standing only" setting seemed to give some people the feeling that they should feel free to talk amongst themselves between and during the songs.

This annoys the Hell out of me! Anything that can be done? Or am I just an old and oversensitive, bad-tempered, moaning git?
Dr Clive

Loc: Chiswell Green, St Albans

« Reply #150 on: May 23, 2009, 11:48:47 AM »

and I think the "standing only" setting seemed to give some people the feeling that they should feel free to talk amongst themselves between and during the songs.

This annoys the Hell out of me! Anything that can be done? Or am I just an old and oversensitive, bad-tempered, moaning git?

I am a similarly-inclined git, in that case. As I said, I think standing up gives people the feeling that they are in a less "formal" setting and hence less constrained by the usually-accepted standards. Apart from annoying other members of the audience it's really disrespectful to the performers, IMHO.

DC
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #151 on: May 23, 2009, 12:21:52 PM »

If you're that, that makes me a young and oversensitive, bad-tempered, moaning git! It really really pisses me off too. Worst experience I've ever had was seeing "An Inspector Calls" a few weeks ago. A crowd of teenagers from another school sitting directly behind us chatted throughout the entire 1h 45mins play, despite being told several times to "sssshhhh" by both the usherette and audience members. Even though we were at the back of the theatre, I'm pretty sure the actors on stage could hear it.

Anyway, hopefully we won't get any of that at Haddenham on Sunday (still tix left!!!) which I am really looking forward to. My first Fairport fix since Cropredy.

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #152 on: May 25, 2009, 12:23:59 AM »

Just got in from Haddenham. Wonderful to see them again, and they were on their usual top form. Loved the two new songs, espeically the Festival Bell. the set list was as reported before and my favourites were

Enjoyed talking to Chris about Native American flutes in the interval, and he even beckoned me over at the end to show my how it worked and all the different fingering. Something tells me it won't be long before I'll have my own (mum fell in love with its sound). It now looks like I won't have to wait till the wintour to see them again as it now looks like I'll be at Croppers this year Cheesy See ya all there  Fez

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
KascadeDan
A teenager at last
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: New Romney, Kent

I can't read the lines, let alone in-between!

« Reply #153 on: May 25, 2009, 12:35:03 AM »

Agree with most of the above. I adore Frozen Man and have been listening to the JT version for most of the week (and I know it's out of season, but I've also been listening to the Albion Christmas version).

Imponderable Joy
ruthbramley

Loc: Cambridgeshire

« Reply #154 on: May 25, 2009, 08:41:40 AM »

Just got in from Haddenham. Wonderful to see them again, and they were on their usual top form. Loved the two new songs, espeically the Festival Bell. the set list was as reported before and my favourites were

Glad you enjoyed the gig, Ollie. It was rather wonderful, wasn't it? I thought they were on top form, both musically and otherwise. There were quite a few Fairport virgins in the audience, including one of my work colleagues, who has been listening to their music since the 60s, but had never seen them since last night. He and his wife have asked me to reserve them the same seats for next year...

Thanks guys for a great evening.  Grin
Sian
Likes her members
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Oxfordshire

Mind the guy ropes!

« Reply #155 on: May 25, 2009, 05:20:16 PM »

I loved "Festival Bell"  shall be dancing to that one come August

Not been for a while
ruthbramley

Loc: Cambridgeshire

« Reply #156 on: May 25, 2009, 07:15:48 PM »

...but had never seen them since last night.

Of course, that should have been "...but had never seen them until last night", but you guessed that, didn't you?
steve-n
Ironic Hooverer

Loc: Leafy Warwickshire

« Reply #157 on: May 26, 2009, 02:40:56 PM »

Slightly out of sequence, but...the chaps performed a cracking set to a small (but perfectly formed) audience at The Assembly in Leamington on Saturday. Lovely room with great acoustics in a recently restored Art Deco venue, but little more than half full.

No matter - those who preferred to spend their Bank Holiday on the M5/M6 missed some great music. Set list is laminated so is probably standard for the tour, but particular highlights were Frozen Man (mentioned before), a reworked Woodworm Swing and Ric's violin on Crazy Man Michael. Oh, and Gerry's musical toilet seat.

We had Security as well..... Grin

S&J
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #158 on: May 26, 2009, 02:50:12 PM »

I was missing - down at the brilliantly-run Black Horse Music Festival in Battle, East Sussex.

Great music, great weather and excellent lights for some great photos....

Jack Westwood

Loc: Glasgow

« Reply #159 on: May 27, 2009, 09:45:34 AM »

Can I just ask, has anyone put up a set list of this tour?  I have had a glance through the previous posts on the tour but can't find any mention more than one or two songs / toons.

Of course, I am willing to fully accept that, because I have just reached my 6th decade on this planet, I may not be looking just as hard as I should!!

Jack

PS Looking forward to Stirling tonight.

We had an argument the other night - all because she said I didn't open the car door for her.  She said I panicked and swam out my side first....
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: