TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 08, 2024, 06:34:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alan Simon has a new project....Anne de Bretagne  (Read 9507 times)
tony the roundhead
Concept Man
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Barford St M

The 17th century is when everything changes..

« on: July 16, 2008, 11:38:39 PM »

Alan Simon's new project is well underway in Nantes. Expect concerts in 2009. See here:

http://www.nantes.maville.com/Tri-Yann-et-Fairport-Convention-retrouvailles-sur-le-pont-levis-/re/actudet/actu_loc-662376------_actu.html

I'm looking forward to hearing Cecile Corbel's contribution. I just missed seeing her in concert last Saturday having been waylaid on the way to the gig by a bunch of Germans with a bottle of snapps. Oh well!

Perhaps Richard the Lionheart can tell us more if he's there?  

..and you gotta be ready - so, ur banne coreff ma pliche!
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 09:15:49 AM »

Having had a bit of spare time this AM I hope that the following is a reasonable English translation of the website link of Tony's. (The italics about Cropredy are my bit)

The scene took place yesterday lunchtime amid tourists and the July crowds in Nantes.

The Tri Yann, no longer that young, have rediscovered the musicians of a famous English group of more than 40 years standing, Fairport Convention. This coming together marked their future collaboration on an album (November 2008) and a concert in the castle of the Dukes of Bretagne (July 2009) written and composed by Alan Simon of Nantes.

Kings of Folk:

If Jean-Louis Jossic becomes Charles VIII, the singer and guitarist, Simon Nicol of FC, will be one of the kings of England, the dark Richard lll. “It is very rare for us to take part in an event abroad”  says the jovial Simon Nicol who, with his group, founded in 1967 is actually preparing a four day (that’s what it says!) folk festival near Oxford, accompanied by celebrities such as Robert Plant the singer with Led Zep. (Is this a hint…??)

History of France:

At Nantes, the musicians of FC weren’t really on uncharted territory since they have already taken part in records and concerts of Excalibur, put together by the same composer, Alan Simon, faithful to his roots. “I recall having slept at Anne de Bretagne’s home, in the hotel which today has no roof”, said a smiling Simon Nicol, who is looking forward to this new musical adventure. “Thanks to this project, I am learning the history of France and England and the links between the two countries in the Middle Ages”.

Cecile Corbel on Anne de Bretagne:

More than 23 singers from the forthcoming have the studio of Eric Chauviere and the Sorinieres and at the home of singer/guitarist James Wood, who lives at Nantes. It is he, who with Alan Simon has guided the project in which will feature members of Barclay James harvest, the singer Christian Descamps from the French group Ange, Nilda Fernandez and also the singer and harpist Cecile Corbel, who comes from Finisterre. She will take the title role of Anne de Bretagne.

Paolo

Loc: Parma, ITALY

Less than all can not satisfy man

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 10:32:08 AM »

Soud interesting. Curiously, I just finished a novel where Anne de Bretagne plays a minor role.

best

Paolo
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 05:55:17 PM »

Looking forward to this! I love the Excalibur albums. I hope the concerts go ahead this time. It was very disappointing when last year's Excalibur concerts were cancelled.
Simon Nicol
Samantha was detained elsewhere...

Loc: Usually CT4

Wilco ... and Out!

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 06:24:29 PM »

Us too...

As the Zen Master said, "Don't just do something - sit there!"
Sandra
Landlady at Arms
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Just Glastonbury now

mines just the two pints, thanks

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 10:23:52 PM »

Looks very interesting.

Hopefully we will be around Nantes next July - just hope the dates co-incide!

Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 10:30:11 AM »

Thanks to Olly, or I'd never have found this.....

Looks as though Alan's new project is to see the light of day in Summer 2009. I discovered this hidden in Cécile Corbel's dates sheet on her website

""Anne de Bretagne
07/01/2009, 20:30
summer 2009 : "Anne de Bretagne" - 5 shows in Brittany and in Paris - more info coming soon
created and composed by Alan Simon - featuring Nilda Fernandez, Tri Yann, Didier Squiban, Bagad Quimperle, Simon Nicol, Ange (...)
3 et 4 juillet 2009 : chateau des ducs - Nantes"

Seems as though Mr Nicol might be able to tell us more?!

There's a write up about it in Cécile's diary from 22nd November 2007.....seems as though we've been slow on the uptake! It's all in French here, but as it's difficult to locate, it says....

Alan Simon s'est déjà imposé comme auteur compositeur et comme cinéaste. Son 1er opéra raconte « la véritable histoire d'Anne de Bretagne ».G. Tagliafico

Le musicien nantais Alan Simon enregistre un opéra sur d'Anne de Bretagne. Avec Cécile Corbel, Angelo Branduardi, Nilda Fernandez, Didier Squiban...

«Anne de Bretagne était une petite femme au courage extraordinaire. » Alan Simon en parle comme s'il l'avait personnellement connue.
Il a des étincelles dans le regard, le musicien nantais.
Elles se sont allumées le jour où il découvrit le reliquaire. Cette boîte d'or contient le coeur de la duchesse bretonne. « Un objet très émouvant.
Anne a voulu que son coeur y soit placé. Ma curiosité est partie de là. Qui était cette femme ? »
Cela s'appelle un coup de foudre. Alan a tout lu sur la dernière duchesse.
Il va au-delà du cliché d'une duchesse en petit oiseau tombé du nid, pour découvrir une fascinante jeune femme, experte en stratégie, se passionnant pour la mode, la musique, les découvertes de Colomb, la peinture italienne.

Cécile Corbel sera Anne.

Et le projet d'opéra va naître. Le premier opéra jamais écrit sur la duchesse.
L'orchestre symphonique de Bretagne et le bagad de Quimperlé sont de la partie.
L'enregistrement du disque est en cours. Musiques folk, renaissance et rock. Textes vibrants.
Après la sortie de l'album, en 2008, le spectacle suivra en 2009. Cadres prestigieux : château des Ducs de Bretagne et château de Blois.
« J'ai choisi Cécile Corbel pour le rôle d'Anne.
Cette Finistérienne possède une très belle voix, avec des accents à la Kate Bush. »
Le fougueux Alan Simon, auteur du livret, confie le rôle du duc de Bretagne au pianiste Didier Squiban. Angelo Branduardi sera Michel-Ange. Nilda Fernandez sera Ferdinand d'Aragon. Simon Nicol (voix de Fairport Convention) incarnera le roi d'Angleterre.

L'opéra d'Alan Simon évoquera aussi le rôle politique de la duchesse.
Malgré la trahison des barons bretons achetés par le roi de France, elle sut maintenir l'indépendance de son duché. Un ambassadeur vénitien la décrivait ainsi en 1492 :
« Sa finesse d'esprit est remarquable pour son âge et une fois qu'elle a décidé de faire quelque chose, elle s'efforce d'y parvenir par n'importe quel moyen et à n'importe quel prix. Cette jeune femme possède quelque chose d'extraordinaire. »
Une femme d'une liberté et d'une fantaisie insoupçonnées. Incroyablement romanesque.
Aimée des rois, aimée du peuple.
Un rôle en or pour une jeune diva bretonne.
Un sujet en or pour un musicien d'aujourd'hui. Une icône en devenir.

Translation anyone?......who's up for the gigs then?

Smithsinarazz
able to reach the G string with my little finger

Loc: Newcastle

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 11:20:50 AM »

"Alan Simon has already shown himself as a composer and film-maker. His first opera recounts "the true story of Anne de Bretagne".

alan Simon, the musician from Nantes, is producing an opera on Anne of Brittany, with Cecile Corbel, Angelo Branduardi, Nilda Fernandez, Didier Squiban...

"Anne of Brittany was a little woman with extraordinary courage" Alan Simon talks of her as if he'd personally known her.  He has sparkles in his eyes. They were lit the day he discovered the reliquary. This golden box contains the heart of a Breton duchess, "A very moving object. Anne wanted her heart to be placed there. My curiosity was moved; who was this woman?" It's called falling in love. Alan read everything on the last duchess.

He started from the idea (? not sure of this bit) of the duchess as a little bird fallen from the nest , to discover a fascinating young woman, expert in strategy, passionate about fashion, music, the discoveries of Columbus, and Italian painting.

Cécile Corbel will play Anne.

And the opera project was born. The first opera ever to be written on the duchess. The symphony orchestra of Brittany and the (bagad - don't know what this is) of Quimperlé will participate.

the recording of the disc is in progress. Music from the folk, renaissance and rock genres, vibrant texts.  

After the release of the album, in 2008, the opera will follow in 2009. Prestigious [settings - i think]: the chateaux of theDukes of Brittany and of Blois.    

"I chose Cécile Corbel for the rôle of Anne. This Finistérienne has a lovely voice, with tones similar to Kate Bush. »

Alan Simon, the author, awards the role of the duke of Brittany to the pianist Didier Squiban. Angelo Branduardi will be Michaelangelo. Nilda Fernandez will play Ferdinand d'Aragon. Simon Nicol, the voice of Fairport Convention), will play the king of England.  

Alan Simon's opera (how many times are they going to mention him?) will also evoke the political role of the duchess. Despite the treason of the Breton barons bought by the king of France, she maintained the independence of her duchy. A Venetian ambassador wrote in 1492:  "Her quality of spirit is remarkable for her age, and once she has decided to do something, she forces herself to succeed by any means and at any price. This young woman possesses something extraordinary." A woman of an unsuspected freedom and fantasy. Unbelievably Romanesque (Eh? Do they mean she looked like Durham Cathedral?). Loved by kings, loved by people. A golden subject for a young Breton diva. A golden subject for a musician of today. An icon in the making.

and all that after I was saying I shouldn't be on talkawhile at work. I'll make it up later. Anyway, any corrections welcome.. myself I think Mrs Kettle from Caldew School would've been proud of me

Love Smiths  
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2008, 11:48:15 AM »

See also earlier thread from July:

http://www.talkawhile.co.uk/yabbse/index.php?topic=28360.0
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2008, 12:35:44 PM »

Thanks Malcolm - I managed to miss that completely!

Topics now merged....

GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2008, 01:02:32 PM »

Thanks for the updates. I was just looking online last week for any new information but without success, though there is a bit on Alan Simon's My Space site.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2008, 01:04:39 PM »

hmm Simon Nicol - king of england
even i could live with that

The Dude abides
martin driver
I like the cut of his gibberish
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surbiton

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2008, 01:06:56 PM »

The symphony orchestra of Brittany and the (bagad - don't know what this is) of Quimperlé will participate.
Love Smiths  

Think you'll find a "Bagad" is a Breton bagpipe.

SN playing the King of England and I believe, various other members of FC will also be involved in the performance of the concerts
tony the roundhead
Concept Man
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2008, 10:08:00 PM »

Think you'll find a "Bagad" is a Breton bagpipe.

A bagad is a Breton pipe band Martin, principaly built around bagpipes, drummers and bombards. It's very loud!  

tony the roundhead
Concept Man
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2008, 10:10:24 PM »

And Quimperle is a Breton town so this will be their town band.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: