TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 05, 2024, 06:21:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Babbacombe Lee  (Read 94797 times)
Darren_j
beer runs are very important of course
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London

« Reply #60 on: January 11, 2012, 01:32:18 PM »

Not to understate Swarb's brilliant fiddle playing, his massive contribution to the folk-rock and folk genres, his song-writing skills etc etc etc.

But surely someone in the world is going to agree with me that Chris Leslie's vocals are preferable to Dave Swarbrick's?

GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #61 on: January 11, 2012, 01:49:31 PM »

Not to understate Swarb's brilliant fiddle playing, his massive contribution to the folk-rock and folk genres, his song-writing skills etc etc etc.

But surely someone in the world is going to agree with me that Chris Leslie's vocals are preferable to Dave Swarbrick's?

Er.....nope!
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #62 on: January 11, 2012, 02:18:14 PM »

Er.....nope!

Another, most insistent 'nope' here too...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #63 on: January 11, 2012, 02:24:38 PM »

There is a school of thought which holds that Dave Pegg's vocals are preferable to Dave Swarbrick's.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #64 on: January 11, 2012, 02:26:12 PM »

There is a school of thought which holds that Dave Pegg's vocals are preferable to Dave Swarbrick's.

It's in Hungary.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #65 on: January 11, 2012, 02:29:50 PM »

Er.....nope!

Another, most insistent 'nope' here too...

And another.  Chris has a lovely voice, but Swarb's has more character, and that's more important to me.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #66 on: January 11, 2012, 02:34:41 PM »

But they are very different type singers, its not a matter of preference for me. Chris has been singing a lot of Swarbs songs over the years, JBL included. But they were all Swarb's songs to begin with, and without them we wouldn't be having this particular discussion. I am glad a lot of that material has been brought back in over the years, stuff they weren't doing in the 80's and early 90's except perhaps at Cropredy-Now Be Thankful, Rosie, Hexhamshire Lass, etc....all associated with Swarb, but now being sung by Chris. But I don't prefer one over the other personally.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Darren_j
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #67 on: January 11, 2012, 03:35:31 PM »

I agree it's great that Chris has brought a number of classic Swarb songs from the archives. I will certainly be playing the new BL CD a lot when it arrives. No-one can blame me for wanting to do that can they???

H (Heather Smith)
Protecting her modesty with mackerel

Loc: Derbyshire

« Reply #68 on: January 11, 2012, 03:39:17 PM »

At the risk of having heavy objects hurdled at me - yes, I'll agree with you, whole-heartedly.

There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes
Darren_j
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #69 on: January 11, 2012, 03:41:37 PM »

Thank you Heather - let's huddle together in a corner at Cropredy and have large objects thrown at us...

RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #70 on: January 11, 2012, 04:23:38 PM »

Nah, its ok Darren, no blame from me. If you prefer Chris's vocals, its cool of course. I'm a big fan of both in reality. I'm glad Chris and the band are bringing some back, I'm happy to listen to the originals with Swarb as well. I thoroughly enjoyed hearing JBL at Cropredy and will be getting the live album at some point.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Peter H-K
inexperienced in matters ebayular

Loc: North Lancashire

« Reply #71 on: January 11, 2012, 04:47:36 PM »

Yes, I'm going to agree with you. I love Swarb's voice, but I love Chris's more.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #72 on: January 11, 2012, 05:15:26 PM »

Thank you Heather - let's huddle together in a corner at Cropredy and have large objects thrown at us...
Er, can I join you please? I like both but I love Chris's voice particularly.

Now, if we could just get him to lay off the mando and pick up the leccy guitar more often ....  Roll Eyes

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
KascadeDan
A teenager at last
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: New Romney, Kent

I can't read the lines, let alone in-between!

« Reply #73 on: January 11, 2012, 06:32:19 PM »

I have to side with Chris L is this one I'm afraid

Imponderable Joy
Nick the Stick
distracted by some wiggly string
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Eastbourne

Alright here?

« Reply #74 on: January 11, 2012, 06:38:21 PM »

No, Swarb every time.

David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #75 on: January 11, 2012, 07:08:19 PM »

In many ways chris has a better voice, more tuneful, a sweeter tone, great clarity BUT

Swarb's voice has amazing drama, character, attitude, he plays around the melody almost like a great swing singer.

Swarb for me.

Dw
MarkC
is no Snoop Dogg

« Reply #76 on: January 11, 2012, 08:14:04 PM »

I like 'em both.

One is not better than the other, IMO; they're just different. But I will risk bodily harm here and say I much prefer the post 1985 line ups over the earlier ones. Sorry, gang, but I just do. I like 'em all, but the later ones speak to me better.
giottoscircle (Robert)
Water pistoled at the Sooty Show

Loc: Leeds

« Reply #77 on: January 11, 2012, 10:52:17 PM »

is this an age thing? My ears may agree but my heart and soul says no
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: S.W. London

One man gathers what another man spills

« Reply #78 on: January 12, 2012, 06:16:18 PM »

Some are saying Chris and some are saying Dave,....there's only one way to sort this out.......

FIGHT!!!!!!!!

No Left Turn Unstoned
Peter H-K
inexperienced in matters ebayular

Loc: North Lancashire

« Reply #79 on: January 12, 2012, 06:43:19 PM »

Some are saying Chris and some are saying Dave,....there's only one way to sort this out.......

FIGHT!!!!!!!!

What, between Chris and Swarb? That would be a bit mad!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: