TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 09, 2024, 08:48:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New album 2007  (Read 59461 times)
AdrianDenning

« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2006, 10:09:35 PM »

There are loads of old folk tunes the Fairport guys haven't tackled. As a proud owner of at least half a dozen of the Topic 2cd compilations in the voice of the people series, there's LOADS of tunes they could tackle, and creatively, if they have the inclination. I'd always like to see a few originals, though.

A.M. Denning, 32 years of age. A youngster.
Jack O Diamonds
Hard Card

Gone, Gone, Gone

« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2006, 10:58:04 AM »

There are loads of old folk tunes the Fairport guys haven't tackled. As a proud owner of at least half a dozen of the Topic 2cd compilations in the voice of the people series, there's LOADS of tunes they could tackle, and creatively, if they have the inclination. I'd always like to see a few originals, though.

A.M. Denning, 32 years of age. A youngster.

Haven't tackled.... degree of inclination? I'd say it's more to do with capability... They haven't tackled, possibly because thery are not inclined so to do (unlikely I suggest) but more likely because it's bloody hard and there is no-one in this band with the skill set to do it...

So we beat on. boats against the current...
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2006, 11:06:36 AM »

I don't get it Jack, what skills are you looking for from the band. To suggest a lack of inclination is one thing but to suggest it is a lack of ability is something else entirely.

OK, the band does lack a lead electric guitarist, but then again Simon was in the box seat for Bonny Bunch and Tipplers tales which had great trad arr stuff. Chris' knowledge and love of traditional music is second to none, Peggy is still Peggy. Then we have Ric, who from what I gather is largely responsible for the arrangements the band uses - perhaps there is the crux of the matter.

I don't want this to be a debate about Ric, as they have occured before, but I feel again it is not his ability to take a trad tune and turn it into a great folk-rock track, rather it is not the way he wants to do things.

Jackdaw
greglin (Gregg)
Waving my cheery plumber off
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Carrickfergus N. Ireland

Slainthe chugat

« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2006, 11:26:13 AM »

Aha - therein lies the problem methinks................

The views expressed to date on this thread have come from a very small (select?) section of what itself is a small part of the FC fan base. perhaps some of the most loyal and long serving granted, but clearly that's not sufficient either toa) guage the general view of the broad fan base and b) change the band's current artistic disposition when it comes to chosing material for a new CD.

My views have allready been aired t the start of this thread - I'd much prefer an album that was weighted heavily towards the "trad arr" genre - and I don't accept that there isn't the musical competence within the band to do it. I, like everyone else , have a choice. Currently I'm getting my fix of trad rock from a variety of other sources - still Steeleye, bless 'em, and a selectionof good Scots bands. I shall exercise that choice when the new CD comse out - if it's similar to the last four or five releases then in all probability I won't buy it.

Perhaps FC have the comfort that, being a successful little cottage industry, as SN said, they're largely self sufficient now and can indulge themselves in their choice of songs. Perhaps they're attracting more new fans with their recent CDs than they're losing old ones - it would be nice to know from one of the chaps if they plan to continue with their current musical path - or revisit the trad song chest again ( And the huge glut of re issues and compilations would suggest that they are not uncomfortable with that tag............)

I caught a falling star, it cut my hands to pieces.
x

« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2006, 11:44:17 AM »

Might as well get my bit in before i slope off to work,
To quote joni mitchell, "no one ever said to van gogh, go out and paint another starry night"
Quote from me, "no one ever said to robert plant and jimmy page, go out and write a led zeppelin 4"
     When the new album does appear it won't be to everyones liking. One mans meat etc etc.
Full house was to me, fairport at their musical best, yet i still havn't bought the follow up, Babbacombe lee.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2006, 11:45:29 AM »

Or just taking the money from the licensing deals

btw Vincent the follow up to full house was Angel delight

The Dude abides
x

« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2006, 11:47:53 AM »

Dammit yer right jim. banks of the sweet primroses and all that
PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2006, 11:10:50 PM »

Might as well get my bit in before i slope off to work,
To quote joni mitchell, "no one ever said to van gogh, go out and paint another starry night"
Quote from me, "no one ever said to robert plant and jimmy page, go out and write a led zeppelin 4"
     When the new album does appear it won't be to everyones liking. One mans meat etc etc.

Hear hear. As an artist you have to where you are taken. . .not where you are told to go. You can't plan a masterpiece.
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2006, 07:48:49 AM »

- or revisit the trad song chest again ( And the huge glut of re issues and compilations would suggest that they are not uncomfortable with that tag............)

Can I just say that artists don't always (or indeed often) know about re-issues and compilations on which they appear.

They just find out by accident -(well that's what happens to me anyway)

Jude

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2006, 12:49:37 PM »

Haven't checked the forum for a week and look what's happened!  Roll Eyes

Here's my two penn'orth for what it's worth. How about a double CD for the anniversary year - one with old and trad stuff with guests (Judy has to be a must, Maart, Ashley etc) and the other some new stuff and total reworkings. This way everybody gets what they want, plus we (the fans) get a superb reflection of the bands capabilities, past and present. Simon has said that FC is about the band, not the individuals, so this would reflect their 40 years and their various formats.

Also, bear in mind that you'll never please all of the people so chances are they'll please themselves. Either way, I'll buy it!!  Smiley

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
greglin (Gregg)
Waving my cheery plumber off
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Carrickfergus N. Ireland

Slainthe chugat

« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2006, 01:02:33 PM »

Also, bear in mind that you'll never please all of the people so chances are they'll please themselves. Either way, I'll buy it!!  Smiley

I learned the hard way never to do that..............last FC album I bought without hearing was "Gottle". 'Nuff said. All future releases were given a hearing first! Hard earned cash was then expended for some, while others.........................

I caught a falling star, it cut my hands to pieces.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2006, 12:27:29 PM »

I learned the hard way never to do that..............last FC album I bought without hearing was "Gottle". 'Nuff said. All future releases were given a hearing first! Hard earned cash was then expended for some, while others.........................

Good point - already have far too many impulse buys gathering dust (not FC tho'). Maybe I need a day on ebay ....

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #52 on: August 23, 2006, 04:36:37 PM »

Just before The Chaps call steve Tilston on speed dial, how about versions of Prefab Sprout's "The Golden Calf" or Th' Eagles "Hollywood Waltz" for 2007? 

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Keith
Mostly Harmless
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Land of the Reivers, Scotland

Trying to save himself.

« Reply #53 on: August 23, 2006, 04:42:19 PM »

Oh God, not another "willow creek" again, please. Or "dingo days down under". Just can't stomach Tilston's lyrics.

Wouldn't mind something by Ralph McTell or Huw Williams though.

Already free, and soon you can pay for it...

www.underminers.org
Cocker Freeman
Young Salt
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Maldon, Essex

« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2006, 04:48:06 PM »

Oh God, not another "willow creek" again, please. Or "dingo days down under". Just can't stomach Tilston's lyrics.

Wouldn't mind something by Ralph McTell or Huw Williams though.

Go on, Farnish, full throttle! Sophie Tucker!

I think Tilston's lyrics sit there nice and dandy. He's got the tango in him when it comes to words.

Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #55 on: August 23, 2006, 04:50:16 PM »

Wasn't DH invited to submit something last time round? There's an instrumental on the first SftBH album they're welcome to.... Roll Eyes Grin

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #56 on: August 23, 2006, 04:56:51 PM »

I hope they'll kKindly avoid the use of "Geronimo's Cadillac" by Hoyt Axton please.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Cocker Freeman
Young Salt
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Maldon, Essex

« Reply #57 on: August 23, 2006, 05:02:58 PM »

Wasn't DH invited to submit something last time round?

Yeah. Peggy's invitation I believe. Peggy liked it but I'm not sure it sat well with everyone else. Even Peggy asked him to change the line  about 'cancer'.

Maybe he just didn't guage it right.

He came close though!   Grin

Keith
Mostly Harmless
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Trying to save himself.

« Reply #58 on: August 23, 2006, 05:12:54 PM »

Carrying on a ramble, very happy with CL's contribution on the last album - Fossil Hunter and I'm Already There do it for me. Both of Ric's instrumentals are excellent (though I wouldn't wish his inspiration for Some Special Place on anyone) so have no problem with the "3 + 2" equation.

Hope Tam Lin doesn't make it, as it is too long and duller than the original recording.

Freeman! Outside, now - and get Hughes to write something new : A Song For England played by Fairport would sound good, so what else is there?

www.underminers.org
Keith
Mostly Harmless
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Trying to save himself.

« Reply #59 on: August 23, 2006, 05:14:17 PM »

Maybe "Rhythm Is A Dancer" (arr. Hughes) was pushing it a bit.

www.underminers.org
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: