TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 03, 2024, 04:49:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Official Members of Fairport Convention  (Read 12347 times)
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« on: May 02, 2017, 11:22:06 PM »

This is intended to be a definitive list of those who were officially a member of Fairport Convention. So, not one off guests at Cropredy or on recordings.

Have I missed anyone out?

Simon Nicol, Dave Pegg, Ric Sanders, Chris Leslie, Gerry Conway
Richard Thompson, Ashley Hutchings, Shaun Frater, Martin Lamble,
Judy Dyble, Iain Matthews, Sandy Denny, Dave Swarbrick,
Dave Mattacks, Roger Hill, Tom Farnell, David Rea,
Trevor Lucas, Jerry Donahue, Paul Warren, Bruce Rowland,
Dan Ar Braz, Bob Brady, Roger Burridge, Maartin Allcock

« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 11:37:23 PM by Andy » Logged

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 11:36:09 PM »

That looks complete to me minus David Rea and perhaps Shaun Frater and Paul Warren as well. I thought by consensus that Rea was an experiment...that did not quite work out, while Warren just depped a handful of gigs. I know little about Frater other than that Martin Lamble apparently told the others that he could play better.

Hill, Farnell, Ar Braz, Brady, and Burridge fall somewhere in between. There are a few recordings and sessions, and they all played live, so I would count them as official, even though none of them were in the band for long or left any sort of influence. Unlike the others. Just my two cents, not trying to stir the pot.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 07:25:18 AM »

It looks like a pretty complete list to me.
If Paul Warren gets a mention what about the likes of Vo Fletcher and Matt Pegg, both of whom have stood in for Dave Pegg in recent years, Fletcher for a few gigs and Matt for a tour and some recordings?

The Dude abides
Andy
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 08:11:47 AM »

The list of stand-ins and guests would be eight times as long as the list above!

DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 09:41:33 AM »

If Paul Warren gets a mention what about the likes of Vo Fletcher and Matt Pegg, both of whom have stood in for Dave Pegg in recent years, Fletcher for a few gigs and Matt for a tour and some recordings?

I don't think Paul Warren should be on there as he was a stand in same as Vo and Matt, and never expected to become a full-time member whereas Farnell, Rea, Hill and the line-up that contained Dan Ar Bras were. (happy to be corrected!). I'd have Shaun Frater on there by the same criteria.
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 09:59:53 AM »

Noddy Holder sang backing vocals on WKWTTG .

alright he didn't.
Soz.
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 11:06:48 AM »

Well if Wikipedia can't get it right, who can?  Roll Eyes

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Andy
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2017, 02:20:29 PM »

I checked with Nigel Schofield who thought it complete.

David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2017, 02:24:40 PM »

I know about the unreleased Manor Sessions but did Rea ever perform live with the band?
DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2017, 03:24:06 PM »

Are the Manor Sessions available legitimately? Am I right in thinking that some tracks are available on the Fairport Unconventional box-set (it's been a few years since I've listened to that)?
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2017, 05:57:22 PM »

I love the Manor Sessions.  An interesting diversion.  Always thought he was a member myself, but ultimately (no gigs, no released material at the time) I guess it's debatable.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2017, 01:09:33 PM »

Are the Manor Sessions available legitimately? Am I right in thinking that some tracks are available on the Fairport Unconventional box-set (it's been a few years since I've listened to that)?
you are right- a few tracks were on the unconventional box set. I think I read somewhere that they will get an official release later this year..
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2017, 01:18:45 PM »

you are right- a few tracks were on the unconventional box set. I think I read somewhere that they will get an official release later this year..

Peggy mentioned this in an interview somewhere, as part of a career overview box but given that Island have already put out a three disc set this year I am beginning to wonder if this will actually happen. I hope it is not another Free Reed job.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2017, 02:15:11 PM »

I hope it is not another Free Reed job.

Are Free Reed still doing "Free Reed jobs"?

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2017, 02:35:51 PM »

Peggy mentioned this in an interview somewhere, as part of a career overview box but given that Island have already put out a three disc set this year I am beginning to wonder if this will actually happen. I hope it is not another Free Reed job.

Has anyone at Universal approached you about doing one of those tombstone-sized Island-label box sets they seem keen on?

DAVE: They’re doing a box set coming out in July, but it won’t be tombstone-sized. It’s five or seven CDs. There isn’t enough material for a tombstone box set from Fairport. Well, there is, but not from stuff that Island own, so they’re doing five or seven CDs of the first 10 years, which includes some interesting stuff from the Manor Studios [in 1972] with David Rea and Tom Farnell playing drums, in fact. I’ve looked at the track-listing and it looks pretty good to me. I was worried because I thought, ‘There won’t be enough stuff’, and it’s a bit of a rip-off for Fairport fans if there isn’t. But there’s sufficient stuff to make it [worthwhile].

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2017, 03:01:25 PM »

Has anyone at Universal approached you about doing one of those tombstone-sized Island-label box sets they seem keen on?

DAVE: They’re doing a box set coming out in July, but it won’t be tombstone-sized. It’s five or seven CDs. There isn’t enough material for a tombstone box set from Fairport. Well, there is, but not from stuff that Island own, so they’re doing five or seven CDs of the first 10 years, which includes some interesting stuff from the Manor Studios [in 1972] with David Rea and Tom Farnell playing drums, in fact. I’ve looked at the track-listing and it looks pretty good to me. I was worried because I thought, ‘There won’t be enough stuff’, and it’s a bit of a rip-off for Fairport fans if there isn’t. But there’s sufficient stuff to make it [worthwhile].

Good job the earlier set was only a fiver!  Grin
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2017, 07:12:16 PM »

As to Andy's original question, out of curiosity, what names were on and off that t shirt from a few years ago. Might that be who the band considers to be official?

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: