TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 03, 2024, 05:28:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fairport/Cropredy BBC4??  (Read 110465 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #160 on: September 21, 2012, 11:28:21 AM »

Personally, I think Chris's argument is right for the first third/half of their career. What, of course, kept things dynamic was the instability of the personnel in the band.  Keeping the same lineups (and sound) for 11 and then 14/16 years is both a sign of great success and stability, but also a very strong (I'd argue a killer) argument against Chris's thesis.  Great for the sound.  Bad for the business side of things, I'm sure.

Sorry, that doesn't make much sense as is...I mean for the 'Great for the sound.  Bad for the business side of things, I'm sure' bit to come after the second 'kept things dynamic' sentence.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #161 on: September 21, 2012, 12:11:43 PM »

A reconfig of Fairport to match the "Hand Of Kindness" sessions would be welcome, RT and friends ripped up the night at Cropredy and I know that many would pay good money to see that lineup who might not fit the "folk/rock" description of the current lineup's audience.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #162 on: September 21, 2012, 12:17:59 PM »

A reconfig of Fairport to match the "Hand Of Kindness" sessions would be welcome, RT and friends ripped up the night at Cropredy and I know that many would pay good money to see that lineup who might not fit the "folk/rock" description of the current lineup's audience.

Many would  Smiley

At various times there have been bands (RT Band, Albion Band, Sandy) with far more key Fairport members in them than Fairport had at the same time.  Doesn't make it Fairport though, does it?  Unless they want it to, of course...  

Fairport Confusion, indeed.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Ian_
blazzawazzada brortewtomay
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Warwickshire

None the wiser

« Reply #163 on: September 21, 2012, 08:54:03 PM »

I finally got around to watching the documentary last night: What struck me was the immense charm of the individual members, their lack of ego and the obvious mutual support and inspiration they get from each other. I can't think of many (any?) other acts who have created such a strong sense of themselves, former members and dedicated fans being part of one big extended family - and that isn't meant to sound sentimental or remotely pejorative; it was the true, strong feeling that I got from watching them  Fez

The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science." Albert Einstein
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #164 on: September 21, 2012, 10:14:54 PM »

I finally got around to watching the documentary last night: What struck me was the immense charm of the individual members, their lack of ego and the obvious mutual support and inspiration they get from each other. I can't think of many (any?) other acts who have created such a strong sense of themselves, former members and dedicated fans being part of one big extended family - and that isn't meant to sound sentimental or remotely pejorative; it was the true, strong feeling that I got from watching them  Fez

Good points well made, and all to their good.

There's the balance to the other points being made, I think.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Ian FM

Loc: Lurking hereabouts

« Reply #165 on: July 28, 2013, 06:24:27 PM »

Can't see that this has been mentioned elsewhere, so I'm resurrecting this thread just to give a quick heads-up that both the documentary and the Union Chapel concert are being repeated this coming Friday (August 2nd) on BBC4 from 9.10pm.
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: S.W. London

One man gathers what another man spills

« Reply #166 on: July 28, 2013, 06:27:59 PM »

Well done Ian.  Smiley

No Left Turn Unstoned
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #167 on: July 29, 2013, 01:02:15 AM »

Excellent timing BBC!

Might have a bit of a pre-festie evening.... Get some 6x in, under cooked fish & chips, and sit on my camping chair in front of Mike so he can moan at me being in his way!!  Tiara  Fez

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
macademis
a hard anger innovator
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #168 on: July 29, 2013, 11:04:14 AM »

Bridge, I'll be round to barge past and slop beer and curry sauce over your picnic blanket/carpet at inconvenient points throughout the evening, just to enhance the atmos. Grin

No such thing as good or bad music, just music you like and music you like less.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #169 on: July 29, 2013, 12:07:50 PM »

Bridge, I'll be round to barge past and slop beer and curry sauce over your picnic blanket/carpet at inconvenient points throughout the evening, just to enhance the atmos. Grin
Love it!  Grin

Dave.P
stay away from hammers
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Isle of Wight

Dave from USA (Uther Side of Andover)

« Reply #170 on: July 29, 2013, 05:13:50 PM »

Get the domestos out Bridge.... a bit of mixing with gin and vodka (Plus a dash of 5 spice) and we can have practice at the toast  Shocked
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #171 on: July 29, 2013, 08:24:22 PM »

Get the domestos out Bridge.... a bit of mixing with gin and vodka (Plus a dash of 5 spice) and we can have practice at the toast  Shocked
Yeeuughh! I'm sticking with Jaigermeister for the toast this year  Wink

Ancient Muse (Andy)
As nature intended
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Sometimes a redhead, always a natural blonde!

« Reply #172 on: July 29, 2013, 10:12:52 PM »

Phil bought a bottle of something from Lidl today that can go towards the toast too -though I was quite looking forward to having some of the fig liqueur I brought back from Malta.

Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #173 on: July 30, 2013, 12:46:26 AM »

Phil bought a bottle of something from Lidl today that can go towards the toast too -though I was quite looking forward to having some of the fig liqueur I brought back from Malta.
it's meant to be horrible Ancient!

macademis
a hard anger innovator
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #174 on: July 30, 2013, 07:53:17 AM »

it's meant to be horrible Ancient!

I've not been myself, but I've heard that Malta isn't that nasty Bridge. Grin

No such thing as good or bad music, just music you like and music you like less.
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #175 on: July 30, 2013, 12:19:51 PM »

Can't see that this has been mentioned elsewhere, so I'm resurrecting this thread just to give a quick heads-up that both the documentary and the Union Chapel concert are being repeated this coming Friday (August 2nd) on BBC4 from 9.10pm.

The documentary gets three airings this weekend....

2110 on Saturday
0110 on Saturday night/Sunday morning
2345 on Sunday night

Not sure about the Union Chapel gig though

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: