TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 03, 2024, 06:21:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Before Your Time / Consonant Carol Please  (Read 10561 times)
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« on: February 18, 2010, 01:35:13 AM »

Simon Nicol's two solo albums in one release. Ideal I thought. But.... £51.19 on Amazon. Are they out of print? I guess they must be.

If anyone has a copy for sale at a more reasonable price, please drop me an IM.

Thanks!

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Ian W.
Not in my size, sweetcheeks

Loc: Leeds, West Yorks.

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 01:47:25 AM »

I'm sure the Elephant Records stall in the car boot sale field had them both last year.

'Those who dance will start to dance,
And those who drink will sway...'
Hurricane (Dan)
Do you think it might be worth 'owt?

Loc: Manchester

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 08:55:21 AM »

I picked it up for about £7 double CD in Vinyl Exchange Manchester a year or so ago.

And Colin's Leap has one of the albums for a fiver:

http://www.colinsleap.co.uk/products.aspx?Mode=Search&SearchText=simon%20nicol

My wife and kids are leaving me because of my obsession with horse racing. They're at the gate now. And they're off!
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 08:56:09 AM »

What an amazing resource this place is. Sorted by 2.30am! Thanks for all the offers, folks!

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Tony F

Loc: Portland, OR USA

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 07:48:10 AM »

Imagine my surprise when I found my old band's one, self-released CD (which I still have three boxes of in the basement) being sold on Amazon ("still sealed"!) for $ 35.00 US.  Not that anyone would buy it, I'm sure, but I think some of these sellers must post these "rare" smaller-run albums for ridiculous prices and see if anyone will bite....maybe thinking, this could be the next lost gem collectors will be deem worthy of homage.
Not that SIMON doesn't deserve it...!  But the Dukes of Sellwood?  Cheesy
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 08:29:40 AM »

Imagine my surprise when I found my old band's one, self-released CD (which I still have three boxes of in the basement) being sold on Amazon ("still sealed"!) for $ 35.00 US.  Not that anyone would buy it, I'm sure, but I think some of these sellers must post these "rare" smaller-run albums for ridiculous prices and see if anyone will bite....maybe thinking, this could be the next lost gem collectors will be deem worthy of homage.

looks like someone snapped up the 35 bucks worth of bargain, its back down to 2 dollars new and 99 cents used

im sure its worth much more than that

The Dude abides
Dave Brzeski
I'm seeing an alternate universe

Loc: Peterborough

IM me here before requesting ICQ/Yahoo/MSN

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 11:42:27 AM »

I've never been quite sure how it works, but amazon marketplace is full of chancers with out of print items (both books & CDs) at really silly prices. I remember Sandy Denny CDs at £88, before the remasters were released. I assume they don't pay listing fees, so they cam afford to wait until a mug comes along who is desperate enough for that particular item to pay silly money
Tony F

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 07:27:19 AM »

looks like someone snapped up the 35 bucks worth of bargain, its back down to 2 dollars new and 99 cents used

im sure its worth much more than that

Ha, if someone shelled out 35 bucks, that would be several times more than we ever made on them!  No one snapped up and now they're liquidating superfluous stock, more like!  But thanks, Jim, for the vote of confidence...if nothing else, it was fun to make, once upon a time.  Maybe I'll buy the two for $ 2.99 myself (from whoever these hosers are?) and thereby keep them ultra-rare!

Back on topic, I've never heard the Simon solo albums.  Perhaps this thread has inspired me to seek them out.
Tony F

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 07:37:09 AM »

I've never been quite sure how it works, but amazon marketplace is full of chancers with out of print items (both books & CDs) at really silly prices. I remember Sandy Denny CDs at £88, before the remasters were released. I assume they don't pay listing fees, so they cam afford to wait until a mug comes along who is desperate enough for that particular item to pay silly money

I was so happy when her BBC recordings got rereleased at an in-print price.  (Of course, I won't admit what I paid for a used copy of Two's Missing....even though I usually consider silliness a virtue.)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 07:38:35 AM »

Quite right...with Amazon, it's free to list and you pays the fee at sale.  I can't quite understand getting all indignant about it though...if people want to pay the price the sellers are asking then that's their lookout.  Supply and demand and all that....  It's often worth a direct communication anyway...sellers much prefer a direct sale as they get to keep more of the total.  I've often got things off Amazon or Abe at well under half what they are asking.  It also helps if you are (or you pretend to be) a dealer yourself.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2010, 07:59:48 AM »

Quite right...with Amazon, it's free to list and you pays the fee at sale.  I can't quite understand getting all indignant about it though...if people want to pay the price the sellers are asking then that's their lookout.  Supply and demand and all that....  It's often worth a direct communication anyway...sellers much prefer a direct sale as they get to keep more of the total.  I've often got things off Amazon or Abe at well under half what they are asking.  It also helps if you are (or you pretend to be) a dealer yourself.

Anything is only worth what someone else is prepared to pay for it.
Dave Brzeski
I'm seeing an alternate universe

Loc: Peterborough

IM me here before requesting ICQ/Yahoo/MSN

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2010, 12:47:43 AM »

If it is released again as an expanded remaster, will it be retitled 'Consonant Rachel Please'?

I know, I know.... coat!
parkwood
torn away from morris men

Loc: Glasgow, UK

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2010, 10:55:40 PM »

... or 'Carol, can I really afford such reckless unsecured lending?'

Any plans for another solo album, Simon?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: