TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 03, 2024, 11:32:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Review: Fairport Convention - Cropredy ‘08  (Read 6583 times)
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« on: January 11, 2009, 05:12:57 PM »

A new year, a new live CD from Fairport Convention.

As one of those who  endured the torrential rain of Fairport’s Cropredy Convention in August 08, I’d forgotten what fine music we heard on that wet Saturday evening. To tell the truth, I was getting a bit worn down by the weather and the water fell upon us in a never-ending stream of waterfall proportions, occasionally blocking my ears. Also, dammit, watering down the beer. All this with no Richard “King Of Rain” Thompson in attendance!

This CD commemorates  the Fairport set that night, accompanied by their friends and ex-colleagues. Not all the performances from that set are here: Julie Fowlis’ “Farewell Farewell” is missing - the performance of the band on that number not being up to scratch, apparently; “Matty Groves” and “Meet On The Ledge” missing because, presumably, with 68 mins 51 seconds already there, most people would prefer to hear Robert Plant singing “Battle Of Evermore” than a “yet-again” probably off-key rendition of those fine songs. They weren’t special on the night as I recall. I don’t blame the band, I blame the weather and I marvel at the quality of CD that Paul Smith (recording) and John Gale (remix and mastering) have created here. Gawd knows, I’m glad to have this now that my ears are less soggy and I can appreciate the music that much better.

The CD is essentially in two main sections with some classic Fairport songs around them. It kicks off with  “Ye Mariners All” and “Reynard the Fox” (with new last verse from Chris Leslie) and Simon Nicol cavorting vocally on “The Eynsham Poacher”.

Then, to the great joy of all who know their work, Fairport play three songs from 1971’s “Babbacombe Lee” album - “Breakfast in Mayfair”,  “Cell Song” and “The Hanging Song”.  As befits these fine songs, they had been well rehearsed in the Spring Tour and Fairport perform them pretty much faultlessly - Simon Nicol’s vocal for “Breakfast in Mayfair” is  admirable in the circumstances. Chris Leslie’s vocal for the Cell Song is spot-on too with the two combining well for the Hanging Song.

“Doctor Of Physick” and a fine Chris Leslie vocal on “Reynardine” and a bustling “Mock Morris ‘90″ carry us on happily to the section of the night dedicated to remembering Sandy Denny, and her impact upon the band and their fans.

In the 30 years since she died, many have performed her vocal parts, those taking on these duties on this occasion did not disappoint. Vikki Clayton delivers an emotive “Fotheringay”. Chris While takes on “It’’s Take A Long Time” accompanied by Maartin Allcock and Jerry Donahue, who stay on to accompany her daughter Kellie, who  delivers “John The Gun” with conviction and power.  Mother and daughter then produce a mighty “Who Knows Where The Time Goes?”.

The Sandy Denny Tribute section then takes an additional gravitas when guest Kristina Donahue is joined by Robert Plant for a rousing “Battle Of Evermore”.  The cheer to greet Percy was the loudest and longest of the night and it must have been foreshortened on the CD because I recall it went on for 5+ minutes “live”. Whilst it is true that Percy has lost some range over the ensuing years and that Kristina’s voice occasionally fades back a little more than you’d expect in a perfect rendition, nothing can dim the delight that all of us felt when this song was performed, live and in front of us!

I have to say that I’m happy that Percy’s somewhat rambling speech from that night about Sandy is not included.

“John Gaudie / The Bowmans Retreat” follow on from “Battle…” and the CD finishes with “Best Wishes”. I know that not all FC fans like this number, but I don’t know why - I enjoy it and can quite understand Simon’s repeated ringing endorsements of a fine ensemble song. (If it’s intended to replace “Meet On The Ledge” by “Best Wishes” in the long term, then perhaps the rancour is understandable, but this has always been denied and I’ll just carry on enjoying it, thanks.)

As a documentary record of the evening, not perfect, but a great impression of the evening, with some great performances. I’ve no doubt there’s a few overdubs to spruce up some patchy numbers, but if so, the touch is light and sure. Some people never went, some had gone home in despair at the weather - this is their opportunity to join the joyful throng from that happy Saturday night. And for those of us who were there, an opportunity to relive a great night.

Live at Cropredy ‘08  - available now, here. Buy it!

[attachment deleted by admin]

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Jan_
A jig, a melodeon and a smile
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 08:09:44 PM »

I'd be very disappointed if MOTL was dropped from Cropredy performances.  It's not my favourite song (always seems a bit morbid) but I like tradition and the performance of this song with audience participation is an enjoyable Cropredy tradition. Continuity and a sense of belonging are strong characteristics of Fairport and both are reinforced when we sing this song.

However, I wouldn't really miss it at gigs.  Sometimes the audiences at Winter Tours do not join in enthusiastically with MOTL.  I don't know why.  I'd happily settle for Best Wishes in these circumstances.  The tune is easier to sing and there's more scope for improvised harmonies from us.

As to the Cropredy '08 Cd, the omission of MOTL was a wise choice in my opinion.  We have enough recordings of it already and recorded versions are no substitute for being there and experiencing it first hand.
Sir Martin
ignore the signs for the dearie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hebden Bridge

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 10:46:35 PM »

The dirge like pace of MOTL lat year was also an off-putter. Bring back metal matty!

Meanwhile - add this to the purchase list tomorrow I think...

It's like the giant, generous, flip you to the world. Industry, the Internet, sport and the flipping Beatles. Flip you all melonfarmers, but especially Paris.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 06:37:03 AM »

I don’t blame the band, I blame the weather and I marvel at the quality of CD that Paul Smith (recording) and John Gale (remix and mastering) have created here.

But not the producer...?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 10:18:46 AM »

What, the band? They produced the music....

Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 12:06:15 PM »

Sorry to have missed a credit: Produced by John Gale and Ric Sanders.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: