TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 04, 2024, 02:38:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Review Fairport Acoustic at Papplewick, Notts 14th May  (Read 6182 times)
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« on: May 15, 2006, 12:32:39 PM »

Fairport Acoustic Papplewick 14/5/06

When we arrived at the hall there was a yoga class going on.. they finished late.. but gave us chocolate.. they were doing ‘chocolate meditation’.. sounds good!

It was the first time we had used this hall, but we soon got to grips with the geography of the building. We started to set the chairs out and the band arrived all cheerful and happy.  Ric and I compared horrible plastic shoes before Chris joined the discussion.  The instruments were quickly set up and food consumed.  The audience started arriving an hour before kick off, fortunately there was a big bar area for them to wait in, and a pub a few yards down the road.

Eight pm arrived and the chaps walked onto the stage to see the room packed..  Over the Next Hill started proceedings and another eight songs/tunes followed.. superb musicianship displayed in every one.  Sophisticated lady was a highlight followed by Here There and Everywhere.. sublime!

We chatted in the interval and sold tickets for more gigs.  Everyone was smiling, drinking and picking up leaflets.  I tried to talk to everyone that I knew and a lot that I didn’t know.. but time was short.  The second set began with The Wood & The Wire, then The Rosehip, a beautiful fiddle (slow) duet and soon after The Fossil Hunter was preceded with a gorgeous new tune on Chris’ Native American Indian flute. Steve Tilston was mentioned several times.. his Slipjigs and Reels was showcased.. he is playing at Farnsfield in a few days time.

One of the spine tingling highlights was Hiring Fair.. followed by Summertime.. ooh that was magnificent!!  It all ended too soon as ever.. but we had a fun photo session.. especially with Delphini and her Moonwalk tee shirt!

It was good to see Talkawhilers there.. thanks to Mic, Diane and Adrian for helping to pick up leaflets from the floor.  Pastieboy and Pastiegirl brought the Fairport groupie Mave the Rave with them… and it was good to meet Neil R for the first time.. and hopefully not the last. It was a shame Clive was ill though.. but good to see Tracey and Linda there, they enjoyed the night so much and would like to thank the band too.

A great night.. hope we can do it again!!

Thanks Chaps!!

Jenny

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Anne T
I'm obviously missing the point here

Loc: Berkshire

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 06:15:13 PM »

Oooh, you've got me all excited for Wednesday in Maidenhead now! Have to concentrate on work to take my mind off it!
Pat Helms
Long live Freewheelin' Franklin!!

Loc: E. TENNESSEE

Often wrong.....never in doubt

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 08:28:25 PM »

Fairport Acoustic Papplewick 14/5/06

When we arrived at the hall there was a yoga class going on.. they finished late.. but gave us chocolate.. they were doing ‘chocolate meditation’.. sounds good!

"I’ve told them a hundred times: put ‘Spinal Tap’ first and ‘Puppet Show’ last."
- Interim Manager: Jeanine Pettibone  Wink

Sounds like it was great time!
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 08:39:54 PM »

What are you on about Wiley??

But yes it was!!!

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Pat Helms
Long live Freewheelin' Franklin!!

Loc: E. TENNESSEE

Often wrong.....never in doubt

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2006, 08:54:54 PM »

Errrr.....not quite sure I know where that came from either......sorry abouth that, Amethyst!  Good to see that Wood and the Wire is still in the rotation.  Hope it doesn't disappear off the radar too soon, like so many other fine tunes!
Edthefolkie
The relish on the baguette

Loc: East Midlands, UK

Sir John gives me guidance

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2006, 06:19:35 PM »

Damn, damn, damn, missed it!!

Never mind, been listening to Chris Leslie's Dancing Days album in the car and also saw the man fiddling AND dancing at Adderbury last month.

That's kept me in Morris Oxfords for a bit Grin

Cheers - Ed

Sorry dear, Rabelais' off
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: