TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 14, 2024, 07:41:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cropredy 2015 who'd 'wanna see?  (Read 165284 times)
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #260 on: September 06, 2014, 02:24:04 AM »

I'm racking my addled brains to think of a line-up that would tempt me back to Cropredy. Discounting the silly asks (Neil Young, Pink Floyd etc), and also the sadly passed on (John Martyn, Bert Jansch, Jackie Leven etc) it does become difficult. Especially when you add in the bands that have split or retired (Bluehorses, possibly LJE?)

I suppose a Richard & Linda reunion might do it. Maybe give the Thompsons a whole evening, and let Teddy, Kami, Richard, Linda & Zak perform in various permutations.

Cropredy would be an appropriate vehicle to launch the Thompson Family Album that Linda has referenced on her FB page.
abby (tank girl)
never felt happy about quinoa
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Finally settled in my own pad

« Reply #261 on: September 06, 2014, 06:58:31 AM »

Oh yes to Midlake ,  perfect for a sunny afternoon slot.

But don't get me started again, camping at Cropredy is up to you, you can have as much or as little room as you like, you just have to know how to wangle it.
It is, IMHO, one of the best set ups of all the festivals and we really shouldn't moan at all.

it'll be fine.......
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #262 on: September 06, 2014, 07:04:47 AM »

But don't get me started again, camping at Cropredy is up to you, you can have as much or as little room as you like, you just have to know how to wangle it.

That might have been true in the 80's , but has certainly not been my experience when I was going in the noughties.  I've suffered at the hands of very inconsistent and dictatorial yellow jackets before.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #263 on: September 06, 2014, 10:21:28 AM »

Enjoy the camp fire!

Chris, it starts to scare me that you know everything. Fire was great. Review in recent gigs.
DaviD J (was geriatrix)

Loc: Bucks

« Reply #264 on: September 06, 2014, 12:21:40 PM »

It is, IMHO, one of the best set ups of all the festivals and we really shouldn't moan at all.

If that was actually the case, I would still be attending.... I'm not moaning, just voting with my feet.
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #265 on: September 13, 2014, 12:26:30 AM »

Judie and Bailey Tzuke. I was well impressed at Butlitz last year.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #266 on: September 14, 2014, 07:28:30 AM »

Here's a fantasy one! It seems they can never decide if they have split for good or not but if they haven't how about The Stone Roses.

Need a few million!!

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Carl F

Loc: Birmingham

« Reply #267 on: September 14, 2014, 10:52:31 AM »

Funny isn't it? I much prefer the festival now it's not just a "Fairport and Friends" event. I accept I'm a bit of Johnny-come-lately, but I find it far more diverse and entertaining now. I love that we get Alice Cooper, the Buzzcocks, Quo, Steve Hackett, Bellowhead, Seth Lakeman to name but a few.

I like the way it's going. Just so long as we don't get any X-Factor winners!

I'm a part of the "new order" of Cropredy myself, relatively speaking, but whenever I start drawing up dream line-ups for the Cropredy festival I always find that they draw heavily from the broader "Fairport family": Your Maart Allcocks, Steve Tilstons, Ralph McTells, etc.

Not that I am in any way complaining about the marvellous line-ups that we are treated to each year. Cropredy is about so much more than just the bands on stage anyway, and I have and will continue to attend on an annual basis for the forseeable future as a result of that intangible something that is the spirit of Cropredy.

In fact, there is even something to recommend a "mediocre" year at Cropredy as regards the line-up, as it gives you that extra freedom to wander around the field, and nip down to the village for a few pints at the Red Lion and catch up with the Fringe, without the anxious feeling that you are missing out on something great on the main stage.
Carl F

Loc: Birmingham

« Reply #268 on: September 14, 2014, 10:55:30 AM »

Without going back to check whether they've been suggested already...how about Black Star Riders for Thursday night?

Oooh, yes please. That would be absolutely perfick.  Grin

I'm still yet to see them live as, ironically, the last time they played locally was the Thursday of Cropredy!
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #269 on: September 14, 2014, 04:35:17 PM »

Dawes would be good if they happened to be in the country.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
DaviD J (was geriatrix)

Loc: Bucks

« Reply #270 on: September 14, 2014, 05:39:17 PM »

That would be interesting. I love those Youtube clips of Dawes, with RT guesting, doing Calvary Cross. I don't have any of their albums, could someone recommend a good starting point, please.
northseajoe
Trees? Really? I thought it was broccoli....

« Reply #271 on: September 14, 2014, 05:46:10 PM »

That would be interesting. I love those Youtube clips of Dawes, with RT guesting, doing Calvary Cross. I don't have any of their albums, could someone recommend a good starting point, please.

I don't think there's a huge discography, David, and I think it's all listenable. Personally, I think 'Nothing is Wrong' is their best album (2011), but I started off by borrowing 'North Hills' (2009) from our local library. There's one more album 'Stories Don't End' (2013). Why not spend some YouTube time spotting your favourite tracks, then splash out on the corresponding album?
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #272 on: September 15, 2014, 12:06:59 PM »

I don't think there's a huge discography, David, and I think it's all listenable. Personally, I think 'Nothing is Wrong' is their best album (2011), but I started off by borrowing 'North Hills' (2009) from our local library. There's one more album 'Stories Don't End' (2013). Why not spend some YouTube time spotting your favourite tracks, then splash out on the corresponding album?

I haven't heard North Hills, but have the two later ones.  Of those I'd agree that Nothing Is Wrong is the better, though the newer one is still very listenable.  I'll have to look out those Youtube clips - haven't seen them.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #273 on: September 15, 2014, 01:26:07 PM »

After last night's display in Hyde Park, Jeff Lynne's ELO, perhaps ?
Peter Taylor

Loc: Bolton

« Reply #274 on: September 15, 2014, 03:30:10 PM »

and/or Chrissie Hynde
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #275 on: September 15, 2014, 03:36:38 PM »

and/or Chrissie Hynde

Definitely - the guitarist in Chrissie's band is James Walbourne, (The Rails, Dead Flamingoes, The Pogues, RT's son-in-law) so should be a shoo-in. Hang on a minute...has anyone suggested The Pogues/Shane McGowan & The Popes yet ? Now there's a thought...
Nigel no longer of Lysander
OldSchool man of the world
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Hereford

A Grounding in Numbers

« Reply #276 on: September 15, 2014, 03:44:38 PM »

More names to pop into my head after Proms in the Park and Radio 2's Festival in a day;-
Earth Wind and Fire,
Billy Ocean,
The Dhol Foundation

and of course ELO

Cheers Nigel
steve c

Loc: Surrey UK

« Reply #277 on: September 15, 2014, 03:53:16 PM »

ELO looked very good last night. Also on my wish list---
Runrig
The Outcast Band
Peckham Cowboys
First Aid Kit
Steve Hillage

In hope
Steve

it is only music it will not harm you
macademis
a hard anger innovator
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #278 on: September 15, 2014, 04:25:33 PM »

At the risk of upsetting some, why not Paul Weller for an absolutely top notch live performer and Thursday night headliner. Definitely have the place sold out. Although there may be the need to ship in a few more trees in order to bag him as his recent summers have been spent playing in Forestry Commission venues.

No such thing as good or bad music, just music you like and music you like less.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #279 on: September 15, 2014, 04:55:51 PM »

At the risk of upsetting some, why not Paul Weller for an absolutely top notch live performer and Thursday night headliner. Definitely have the place sold out. Although there may be the need to ship in a few more trees in order to bag him as his recent summers have been spent playing in Forestry Commission venues.
I'd be well up for this! Paul Weller for Modredy on Thursday and Madness for Madredy on the Friday!!  Cheesy

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: