TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 10, 2024, 08:27:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Swarb NOT at the Barbican  (Read 51514 times)
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2009, 10:37:46 AM »

Only just seen this thread.  In fact I was unaware of the whole thing until my pal Guy told me.  I really hope this doesn't signal a total breakdown in relations between Swarb and the others.   Sad

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Keith
Mostly Harmless
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Land of the Reivers, Scotland

Trying to save himself.

« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2009, 11:06:48 AM »

Only just seen this thread.  In fact I was unaware of the whole thing until my pal Guy told me.  I really hope this doesn't signal a total breakdown in relations between Swarb and the others.   Sad

Jules

Possibly a total breakdown between Joe Boyd and others - which wouldn't be for the first time. I really would be surprised if there was any friction between ex and current band members now.

Already free, and soon you can pay for it...

www.underminers.org
leahdon (Donna)
Secret Fez Admirer

Loc: Gloucestershire

« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2009, 11:33:50 AM »

When all is said and done, whatever the reasons for Swarb dropping out, if it is something negative, surely we don't expect him to air his grievances in public, especially not on a bulletin board that members of the band also take part in

He's given us his reasons for dropping out.

Yes, it's a shame for the people who have bought tickets specifically to see Swarb with the band, but that's music for you. Artistic Differences - we've all heard the joke!

Donna

Cheers,

Donna
xx
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2009, 11:40:18 AM »

Possibly a total breakdown between Joe Boyd and others - which wouldn't be for the first time. I really would be surprised if there was any friction between ex and current band members now.

Well Swarb and Joe don't rub along too well - that's no secret.

But after the brouhaha over the 2007 Cropredy souvenir (remember, no Swarb), this latest upset may indeed drive a wedge.  I hope not, but it has to be a possibility.   Sad

Jules

Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2009, 11:41:36 AM »

This year having seen the Winter Tour, the TCT Albert Hall Show, and the Acoustic Tour already, I'm now thoroughly looking forward to another evening of FC-related music played to a sellout crowd in a beautiful venue, regardless of which incarnation of the band is playing it. Shame about the show being Swarbless, but, as another member of this board has already stated - "the glass is half full." Whoever is on the stage will, I'm sure, provide a great evening of music.
Big Dave
Virtual Giant
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hadfield (in the glorious High Peak of Derbyshire)

Stand us a pint guv!

« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2009, 11:53:08 AM »

This year having seen the Winter Tour, the TCT Albert Hall Show, and the Acoustic Tour already, I'm now thoroughly looking forward to another evening of FC-related music played to a sellout crowd in a beautiful venue, regardless of which incarnation of the band is playing it. Shame about the show being Swarbless, but, as another member of this board has already stated - "the glass is half full." Whoever is on the stage will, I'm sure, provide a great evening of music.

Well said and that should be the end of the debate.

Live life, live love, Live for FAIRPORT!!!!!!
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2009, 11:57:57 AM »

My take on it is that Swarb is essentially a band leader and therefore a man who likes things done in a certain way - a way which he feels will result in the best possible performance. If, as it seems from his message, this isn't happening he has two choices:

1. Bite the bullet, go with the flow and risk putting in a performance that he feels may be second rate.

2. Pull out with his reputation and integrity intact.

Both options have their merits, I guess it comes down to letting yourself down or letting other people down and, doubtless with much soul searching, Swarb has taken the decision to put his reputation first. A tough choice especially in the knowledge that many fans will be feeling very let down. I don't know what I would do in the same circumstance and can only guess at the annguish this has caused.

DW
Sandra
Landlady at Arms
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Just Glastonbury now

mines just the two pints, thanks

« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2009, 12:32:45 PM »

Well said.

I am just happy to look forward to whatever is offered, and am very much looking forward to hearing stuff from the first album, which is my favourite, but which we rarely, if ever, get the chance to hear live;D Grin Grin

PL (Peter)
able to create swamp magic

Loc: SW Germany

If it`s Wednesday, you survived Tuesday.

« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2009, 12:38:57 PM »

Quote from: Dan O. on Today at 11:41:36 AM

Well said and that should be the end of the debate.

Yep, fully agree.
Tasha
shocking in parts but very good
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Shropshire

« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2009, 12:39:10 PM »

Please, as Sam says, can people stop pontificating about Swarb and why or why not he isn't playing? He has had the courtesy to let people know on here - he needn't have said anything and just left it to the promotors to explain. He hasn't done that he's let us know and apologised.  At least there is time for people who are disappointed to sell on their tickets or argue with the promoters for money back as they aren't getting what was advertised. So please no more conjecture.

They broke my heart and they killed me, but I didn't die. They tried to bury me, they didn't realise I was a seed.
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2009, 01:02:23 PM »

Please, as Sam says, can people stop pontificating about Swarb and why or why not he isn't playing? He has had the courtesy to let people know on here - he needn't have said anything and just left it to the promotors to explain. He hasn't done that he's let us know and apologised.  At least there is time for people who are disappointed to sell on their tickets or argue with the promoters for money back as they aren't getting what was advertised. So please no more conjecture.

Tasha,

Surely this is a discussion board and Swarb's decision not to play is something which is surely worthy of discussion. One sees speculation abounding on other areas of the board about matters far more serious than this one. There are many on this board who held Swarb in the highest esteem but does this mean we cannot express our disquiet about a decision he makes - after all as Malvolio said, paraphrased, what the greater do the lesser prattle on.
Keith
Mostly Harmless
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Land of the Reivers, Scotland

Trying to save himself.

« Reply #51 on: July 02, 2009, 01:11:05 PM »

My take on it is that Swarb is essentially a band leader and therefore a man who likes things done in a certain way - a way which he feels will result in the best possible performance. If, as it seems from his message, this isn't happening he has two choices:

1. Bite the bullet, go with the flow and risk putting in a performance that he feels may be second rate.

2. Pull out with his reputation and integrity intact.

Both options have their merits, I guess it comes down to letting yourself down or letting other people down and, doubtless with much soul searching, Swarb has taken the decision to put his reputation first. A tough choice especially in the knowledge that many fans will be feeling very let down. I don't know what I would do in the same circumstance and can only guess at the annguish this has caused.

DW

Fine words indeed.

Already free, and soon you can pay for it...

www.underminers.org
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #52 on: July 02, 2009, 01:25:32 PM »

Tasha,

Surely this is a discussion board and Swarb's decision not to play is something which is surely worthy of discussion. One sees speculation abounding on other areas of the board about matters far more serious than this one. There are many on this board who held Swarb in the highest esteem but does this mean we cannot express our disquiet about a decision he makes - after all as Malvolio said, paraphrased, what the greater do the lesser prattle on.

I have to say, I agree with David.

Jules

ThomA
you can end this sentence here if you prefer

« Reply #53 on: July 02, 2009, 01:38:13 PM »

But after the brouhaha over the 2007 Cropredy souvenir (remember, no Swarb)

I really, really don't want to rake up any more debate, but can you enlighten me about this?  I must have missed something here...

(A PM might be easier)
Jack O Diamonds
Hard Card

Gone, Gone, Gone

« Reply #54 on: July 02, 2009, 03:12:53 PM »

Well said Sam and Viv G. Grin Can't we just leave it there now peeps?

No. For precisely the reasons that Skirky has stated above. I don't think most people on this board intend any disrespect to Swarb. It would be most out of character for that to happen but it has become increasingly unclear what this show actually is. It is clearly not what it was originally promoted to be and therefore people feel that they have been sold tickets under false pretences.

As for it being a celebration of 3 albums released in 1969, well, is it? That does not explain Peggy's participation. Don't get me wrong. Peggy is an enormous plus point for me but it adds to the confusion. If the intention had been to stretch to Full House (many people's hope I'm sure), then the absence of Swarb definitely becomes an issue again.

Whatever way you look at it, from Swarb's perspective, from ours as the audience and probably from that of other people involved, the organisation of this show appears to have been very badly handled and the promoters need to be more forthcoming about what it is they are actully selling.

The suggestion that we might "leave it there peeps" is at best a joke... There has been a bad feeling about this almost since it was announced... I for one was ecstatic that early FC was going to be on the stage again - RT, Simon Nicol, Ashley Hutchings, Iain Matthews with necessary (and excellent) stand-ins for Martin and Sandy in the shape of the great DM and one (or, if necessary more) of the range of possible female singers plus Swarb. However, the "other guests" bit sounded worrying... particularly La Famille Thompson, Martin Carthy... others? Now we have Swarb checking out... no-one has a clue exactly what is or is not happening who or is not performing. Unacceptable. I cancelled a significant other engagement to attend what I believed (was strongly led to believe) would be a set focused on FC's best ever albums... What We Did On Our Holidays and Unhalfbricking... plus Liege & Lief (to keep the 40 years/1969 theme) and Full House (fine album but only included at a 1970 stretch)... Now? God only knows.... and I don't mean add The Beach Boys to the schedule (although that's always a nice option). So no... I won't "leave it there peeps"... And as for the curiously mad suggestion that Chris Leslie stand in for Swarb and sing.... PLEASE NO......

So we beat on. boats against the current...
Sam
Bonjela and tonic please.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Welshie West Wales

« Reply #55 on: July 02, 2009, 05:25:08 PM »

The suggestion that we might "leave it there peeps" is at best a joke... There has been a bad feeling about this almost since it was announced... I for one was ecstatic that early FC was going to be on the stage again - RT, Simon Nicol, Ashley Hutchings, Iain Matthews with necessary (and excellent) stand-ins for Martin and Sandy in the shape of the great DM and one (or, if necessary more) of the range of possible female singers plus Swarb. However, the "other guests" bit sounded worrying... particularly La Famille Thompson, Martin Carthy... others? Now we have Swarb checking out... no-one has a clue exactly what is or is not happening who or is not performing. Unacceptable. I cancelled a significant other engagement to attend what I believed (was strongly led to believe) would be a set focused on FC's best ever albums... What We Did On Our Holidays and Unhalfbricking... plus Liege & Lief (to keep the 40 years/1969 theme) and Full House (fine album but only included at a 1970 stretch)... Now? God only knows.... and I don't mean add The Beach Boys to the schedule (although that's always a nice option). So no... I won't "leave it there peeps"... And as for the curiously mad suggestion that Chris Leslie stand in for Swarb and sing.... PLEASE NO......
[/quote]

i would love to be able to go to this gig...

jude is there.. that in itself is rare.
why " has there been  bad feeling about this gig from the beginning " .. for gods sake?

you say:

" However, the "other guests" bit sounded worrying... particularly La Famille Thompson, Martin Carthy... others? "

um why? all fantastic musicians, all with great pedigrees.. what is the problem. how can you possibly moan about this ? lol

this is a one off event, which i wish i could get to but can't. can people not just enjoy it and trust that fairport and associated musos will produce a wonderful show?

how bizarre ..

Not only is another world possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing.

Arundhati Roy
DaviD J (was geriatrix)

Loc: Bucks

« Reply #56 on: July 02, 2009, 05:40:57 PM »

Ric for the violin spot, please. At least he doesn't sing.
PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #57 on: July 02, 2009, 05:43:43 PM »

Unacceptable. I cancelled a significant other engagement to attend

What? You CANCELLED? You let someone down? I bet they're fuming and arguing about it on a messageboard somewhere.

GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #58 on: July 02, 2009, 05:44:36 PM »

I think there are points being missed here. There is no doubt that those involved can put on a wonderful show but it is not the show that was originally announced. It is not the show that I, for one, booked to see. People are entitled to feel disappointed and somewhat misled.

I will probably still go but I am much less excited about it than I was and my fervour began to dissipate a long time before this most recent announcement. It happened as soon as all of those guest names began to appear, diluting the Fairport magic.

This now seems much more akin to a Cropredy Saturday night. That is certainly a special thing but it is not what I and clearly many others here were, with some justification, hoping for.

It is a little like booking to see Simon & Garfunkel and then finding out that Paul Simon will not be appearing and his place has been taken by James Taylor, a fine musician unquestionably, but not the same thing.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #59 on: July 02, 2009, 06:58:01 PM »

It is a little like booking to see Simon & Garfunkel and then finding out that Paul Simon will not be appearing and his place has been taken by James Taylor, a fine musician unquestionably, but not the same thing.

It may be a little like that, but that's still an exaggeration.  I'm sure the Barbican will, if pushed, refund the tickets to those that don't want to make it and re-sell them to those that do.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: