TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 11, 2024, 08:44:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shoot Out The Lights: 2 CD reissue  (Read 54493 times)
Edthefolkie
The relish on the baguette

Loc: East Midlands, UK

Sir John gives me guidance

« Reply #60 on: September 30, 2010, 10:06:55 PM »

Am I alone in feeling a bit reluctant about playing something that documents a thoroughly bad period in two peoples' lives? (Not to mention the band, ducking the bottles!)

That's not to say I wouldn't buy the set eventually, but I can see myself wincing while listening to it, having seen the two of them perform a hell of a lot of times when everything was presumably going hunky dory.      

Sorry dear, Rabelais' off
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #61 on: September 30, 2010, 10:13:46 PM »

Am I alone in feeling a bit reluctant about playing something that documents a thoroughly bad period in two peoples' lives? (Not to mention the band, ducking the bottles!)

That's not to say I wouldn't buy the set eventually, but I can see myself wincing while listening to it, having seen the two of them perform a hell of a lot of times when everything was presumably going hunky dory.      

Richard suggests in many an interview (not always totally convincingly imho!) that a lot of the 'great break-up songs' are actually nothing of the sort...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #62 on: September 30, 2010, 10:15:53 PM »

why? its well documented and was done in public 30 years ago
but wince away
 a few years ago RT toured with his lad on rhythm guitar and i wondered how he felt as his old fella sang"She twists the knife again"

The Dude abides
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #63 on: October 01, 2010, 07:09:48 AM »

Am I alone in feeling a bit reluctant about playing something that documents a thoroughly bad period in two peoples' lives?

Richard suggests in many an interview (not always totally convincingly imho!) that a lot of the 'great break-up songs' are actually nothing of the sort...

I think Ed means the live document, when the sh*t truly was hitting the fan.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Edthefolkie
The relish on the baguette

Loc: East Midlands, UK

Sir John gives me guidance

« Reply #64 on: October 01, 2010, 03:05:49 PM »

Exactement Jules.

In the 1970s a bunch of us used to go and see Richard and Linda (and Simon) and we felt fortunate to do so - they premiered most of "Hokey Pokey" at one venue for instance.

We then found that we couldn't go to gigs as Richard had decided not to perform any more (for his own legitimate reasons). However we carried on buying the records and telling everybody how good R & L were. We then saw them at Cropredy and thought ello ello, something's up here! Also when "Shoot Out The Lights" came out we wondered why the cover art was like that.

Next thing we read that Linda's throwing things at Richard (for HER own very legitimate reasons). I know we're all just punters but it was a bit horrible at the time and I'm not sure that I love the sound of breaking relationships (& glass) enough to buy the set.        

Sorry dear, Rabelais' off
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #65 on: October 01, 2010, 03:32:26 PM »

But of course great art is often born from pain......

Jules

Mr Cat (Lewis)
Probably bad form to quote yourself
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Vancouver, BC Canada

« Reply #66 on: October 28, 2010, 05:30:18 PM »

My copy arrived yesterday evening..nice booklet style package with photos and interviews/essays from those involved.  Have listened on the way to work to Dargai/Shoot out the Lights/Borrowed Time from the live CD - the latter comprising some brilliant soloing from RT and some clear rhythm playing from Mr. SN (always good to hear him on the electric).  Sounds like it was all recorded in front of 30 die hards in a small room.  So far very pleased and the live album is more engaging thus far than the live 1975 set...

Thank Drunk I'm God
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #67 on: October 28, 2010, 05:39:43 PM »

My copy arrived yesterday evening..nice booklet style package with photos and interviews/essays from those involved.  Have listened on the way to work to Dargai/Shoot out the Lights/Borrowed Time from the live CD - the latter comprising some brilliant soloing from RT and some clear rhythm playing from Mr. SN (always good to hear him on the electric).  Sounds like it was all recorded in front of 30 die hards in a small room.  So far very pleased and the live album is more engaging thus far than the live 1975 set...

That's saying a lot because I adore that 1975 live CD.

So, anyway, let's cut to the chase - how much did it cost you, all in?

Jules

Mr Cat (Lewis)
Probably bad form to quote yourself
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Vancouver, BC Canada

« Reply #68 on: October 28, 2010, 05:50:19 PM »

Just over $40 with current exchange rates.  I rationalized to myself on the basis that I don't have a CD copy of SOTL and would pay $20 for one and if the live CD was issued as a stand alone I'd pay $20 for that..I don't think I had to pay any postage and there weren't any border service charges etc.

Thank Drunk I'm God
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #69 on: October 28, 2010, 06:00:54 PM »

Just over $40 with current exchange rates.  I rationalized to myself on the basis that I don't have a CD copy of SOTL and would pay $20 for one and if the live CD was issued as a stand alone I'd pay $20 for that..I don't think I had to pay any postage and there weren't any border service charges etc.

Not bad.  I don't think anyone in the UK would be quite so lucky.

Any UK TAWers got this yet?

Jules

Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #70 on: October 28, 2010, 06:09:52 PM »

I've been charged just over £30. Yet to arrive, so I don't know whether there are any customs / VAT to pay yet.

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #71 on: October 28, 2010, 06:28:19 PM »

I've been charged just over £30. Yet to arrive, so I don't know whether there are any customs / VAT to pay yet.

Let us know how you get on, Chris.

Jules

John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #72 on: October 28, 2010, 07:53:46 PM »

I just received mine in the mail yesterday and have yet to listen.  It's packaged like a book, with the lengthy booklet stapled between the covers.  The booklet is beautiful, lots of photos of R&L and the band, with remembrances from Joe Boyd, Dave Mattacks, Pete Zorn, etc.  I bought it direct from Rhino for $40.00 U.S.  I'll have to pop the remastered Rubber Soul out of my car stereo and slip in the live R&L disc.
Dave Brzeski
I'm seeing an alternate universe

Loc: Peterborough

IM me here before requesting ICQ/Yahoo/MSN

« Reply #73 on: October 30, 2010, 11:16:00 AM »

I just got a letter from customs. I don't know for certain it's for the item in question, but it's likely. £4.46 VAT, which isn't that bad, but the thing that always winds me up is that these thieves make you pay an additional £8.00 admin fee for the privilege of charging you the VAT!

I get a lot of stuff sent from the US & I don't get caught often, but when I do, it always makes me feel like I've been mugged.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #74 on: October 30, 2010, 01:22:54 PM »

I just got a letter from customs. I don't know for certain it's for the item in question, but it's likely. £4.46 VAT, which isn't that bad, but the thing that always winds me up is that these thieves make you pay an additional £8.00 admin fee for the privilege of charging you the VAT!

I get a lot of stuff sent from the US & I don't get caught often, but when I do, it always makes me feel like I've been mugged.

Yeah the admin fee is always the killer!  And yes, mugging is about right.   Angry

Jules

Dave Brzeski

« Reply #75 on: October 30, 2010, 02:35:31 PM »

OK, it was the R< CD, so....

Initial cost £33.40
Customs ransom charge £12.46

Total £45.86  Sad

Never again!

It is a lovely package though...
arie

« Reply #76 on: October 30, 2010, 03:24:29 PM »

"...with remembrances from Joe Boyd, Dave Mattacks, Pete Zorn, etc."

Missing in action Simon Nicol AFAICS. Everybody knows how difficult it is to reach him for a reaction  Undecided
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #77 on: October 30, 2010, 04:32:47 PM »

Initial cost £33.40
Customs ransom charge £12.46

Total £45.86  Sad

Never again!

Ooh, I feel your pain, Dave.

See, that's why I can't bring myself to order it.  I must check with the guys at Spin - might be my only hope outside of a 2nd hand copy cropping up on eBay....

Jules

Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #78 on: October 30, 2010, 05:22:33 PM »

Having said that, VAT of 4.46 gives a cost of 25.48, rather than 30+ quid.....it could have been more, I guess.

Dave Brzeski

« Reply #79 on: October 31, 2010, 10:49:07 AM »

OK, I have to say for the record that I DON'T LIKE HIDDEN TRACKS!
It's not that I object to having these little extras... far from it, but I would like them listed on the insert please. I can live without the hassle of trying to work out what it is thank you very much.

In this case it's a cover of the Everly Brothers, 'The Price Of Love', on the end of the live disc.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: