TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 12, 2024, 02:43:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Fairport by Fairport'  (Read 248955 times)
Peter H-K
inexperienced in matters ebayular

Loc: North Lancashire

« Reply #460 on: September 19, 2013, 08:58:11 PM »

Just to nudge this topic back on course, I'm saving Fairport by Fairport for the depths of winter when I shall read it sat next to the fire, a glass of dark ale to hand. Although, having read some of the comments in this thread, I'm hoping I won't be tempted to use it as kindling...  Undecided

Resist that temptation: dark ale would make terrible kindling!
Gouty (Gary)
still struggling with the theme to Bagpuss
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #461 on: September 20, 2013, 12:28:54 AM »

Just to nudge this topic back on course, I'm saving Fairport by Fairport for the depths of winter when I shall read it sat next to the fire, a glass of dark ale to hand. Although, having read some of the comments in this thread, I'm hoping I won't be tempted to use it as kindling...  Undecided

Smiley  Smiley  Smiley

Actually, if the house was on fire, I'd probably think twice about using good beer to extinguish the flames  Roll Eyes

Anyway, back to the topic: Fairport by Fairport - to use as kindling or to buy on Kindle? Not the latter, according to Amazon, at least not just yet...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fairport-Convention/dp/1906615470

Incidentally, from this link, check out one of the reviewers on Festival Bell:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/cdp/member-reviews/A1U9ZQKE8Y7ZA1/ref=cm_cr_pr_auth_rev?ie=UTF8&sort_by=MostRecentReview

If that's the worst they can throw at your songwriting skills, Chris Leslie, I'd say you're in pretty good company and I hope your 'Mull of Kintyre' cheque is in the post!!

'Eggs, bread, cigs, milk...'
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #462 on: September 20, 2013, 07:51:00 AM »

Actually, if the house was on fire, I'd probably think twice about using good beer to extinguish the flames  Roll Eyes
Anyway, back to the topic: Fairport by Fairport - to use as kindling or to buy on Kindle? Not the latter, according to Amazon, at least not just yet...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fairport-Convention/dp/1906615470
Incidentally, from this link, check out one of the reviewers on Festival Bell:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/cdp/member-reviews/A1U9ZQKE8Y7ZA1/ref=cm_cr_pr_auth_rev?ie=UTF8&sort_by=MostRecentReview
If that's the worst they can throw at your songwriting skills, Chris Leslie, I'd say you're in pretty good company and I hope your 'Mull of Kintyre' cheque is in the post!!

I, erroneously, read the review underneath:

I enjoyed this book immensely. It is well written and researched, the action moves along at a good pace and constantly keeps the reader gripped. The switch between the two narrations is very effective. The plot would make a good movie.
Then realised it’s for an entirely different book!  Roll Eyes

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Gouty (Gary)
still struggling with the theme to Bagpuss
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #463 on: September 20, 2013, 09:33:18 AM »

Grin

Should have gone to Specsavers!  Wink

'Eggs, bread, cigs, milk...'
Andy Tuck
A creme egg moment
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Leicester

Dolphins are Evil They Eat Kittens...

« Reply #464 on: October 09, 2013, 07:49:37 PM »

Just booked Swarb to play at the Musician next year. During the evening he is going to do an intimate question and answer session. This could turn out to be interesting.

Still listening to the telepathic pirate radio show from the flying teapot.....
macademis
a hard anger innovator
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #465 on: October 10, 2013, 08:03:52 AM »

Not sure that I want to hear him answer intimate questions! Shocked

No such thing as good or bad music, just music you like and music you like less.
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #466 on: October 10, 2013, 08:19:13 AM »

Just booked Swarb to play at the Musician next year. During the evening he is going to do an intimate question and answer session. This could turn out to be interesting.

The mind boggles!
Ronald
I have to confess it was pure laziness

« Reply #467 on: October 10, 2013, 09:21:33 PM »

If he will be as revealing as Terry Woods was about the Steeleye Span split it could be interesting indeed but maybe by the time of the concert he has mellowed a bit and will feel that certain things will better be left unsaid.
Bob Barrows
Give me time ... it will wear on me
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Auburn, MA USA

Bob

« Reply #468 on: October 10, 2013, 09:50:03 PM »

If he will be as revealing as Terry Woods was about the Steeleye Span split ...
When/where did this occur?
Ronald

« Reply #469 on: October 10, 2013, 09:55:05 PM »

I did read an interview many years ago but I would't know where that was.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #470 on: October 11, 2013, 07:15:42 AM »

Shame, as I was about to ask the same question as Bob.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Ronald

« Reply #471 on: October 11, 2013, 11:26:05 AM »

Is there a mention in the book about the concert they did in Amsterdam in October 1969 with the Incredible String Band when Mike Heron was almost electrocuted? I, and probably the whole audience, was shocked by what we saw and heard, it was absolutely terrible and I never hope to witness something like this again. I've always wondered what impact it had on them and if they were afraid of picking up their guitars and playing.
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: S.W. London

One man gathers what another man spills

« Reply #472 on: October 11, 2013, 06:50:41 PM »

If he will be as revealing as Terry Woods was about the Steeleye Span split it could be interesting indeed but maybe by the time of the concert he has mellowed a bit and will feel that certain things will better be left unsaid.

I can't imagine Swarb mellowing over this, judging by his fb comments!

No Left Turn Unstoned
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #473 on: October 11, 2013, 07:01:37 PM »

Shame, as I was about to ask the same question as Bob.

Jules

In the book about Ashley Hutchings they interviewed Terry about that time. I don't think it was particularly ugly. It was an experiment between disparate personalities-two sets of couples and Ashley as ringleader, and they managed to get an albums worth of material before differences set in. At least in that book I don't recall it being insulting or mean spirited towards any of the other parties.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #474 on: October 11, 2013, 10:10:35 PM »

In the book about Ashley Hutchings they interviewed Terry about that time. I don't think it was particularly ugly. It was an experiment between disparate personalities-two sets of couples and Ashley as ringleader, and they managed to get an albums worth of material before differences set in. At least in that book I don't recall it being insulting or mean spirited towards any of the other parties.

If only it were so, but in most interviews the Woods feel particularly aggrieved, and cite Tim Hart in particular as being particularly unpleasant and manipulative.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #475 on: October 11, 2013, 10:49:16 PM »

If only it were so, but in most interviews the Woods feel particularly aggrieved, and cite Tim Hart in particular as being particularly unpleasant and manipulative.

Jules

Just had a quick perusal of The Guv'nor & The Rise Of Folk Rock book and you are correct, my memory playing tricks again on me!. There is an entire chapter devoted to the making of Hark! The Village Wait, and the aftermath, and to simplify, a lot of it was down to Tim Hart, and what Woods called a hidden agenda to get Martin Carthy in the band. However, neither he or Gay Woods (at least in the material for this chapter) had much negative to say about Ashley. It really was down to the two couples falling out it seems.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
MikeB (Mike)
never singing Cousin Jack again
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Edinburgh again

The world is not my home, I'm just passing through

« Reply #476 on: October 12, 2013, 01:15:43 AM »

Jules

There's supposed to have been some unpleasantness over an agreement that they would change the name if any of the founders left, which obviously didn't happen following the departure of the Woods.
Hans Valk
Most of you can't read Dutch, I suppose

Loc: Dordrecht, The Netherlands

« Reply #477 on: October 12, 2013, 09:02:25 AM »

Is there a mention in the book about the concert they did in Amsterdam in October 1969 with the Incredible String Band when Mike Heron was almost electrocuted?

I don't think there is.
The period September-December 1969 is described in some detail, as the band was in the finishing stages of recording 'Liege and Lief'. During this period FC did a few gigs. On September 24 they played the Royal Festival hall, with Nick Drake supporting. On October 25 and 26 they played in Manchester and Redcar. A trip to Amsterdam during this period is not mentioned.
Still the gig did happen, as the internet reveals that it did take place on October 18, 1969. The book says FC were in the studio at Sound Techniques from October 16 to November 1 and mentions the gigs at Manchester and Redcar as the only gigs they did during this period.
A strange omission, as Herons mishap caused quite a stir at the time and the hassle of a trip to Amsterdam during the recording of 'Liege and Lief' must have been an issue.

--
Hans Valk
Ronald

« Reply #478 on: October 12, 2013, 04:22:01 PM »

A strange omission, as Herons mishap caused quite a stir at the time and the hassle of a trip to Amsterdam during the recording of 'Liege and Lief' must have been an issue.

--
Hans Valk

Who knows, the trauma of the accident months before, going to the continent for just one concert and then Mike Heron almost being electrocuted made Ashley Hutchings walk up to the microphone and say something about bad omens or bad vibes.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #479 on: October 29, 2013, 02:12:11 PM »

Swarb's latest missive on Facebook:

"hello facemates seems like my corrections list for fairport by fairport has had a positive result, all members present and past have received a division of the spoils, I am blamed for the sales not being higher and for that I am very proud having saved at least some of you some money. of course no payments were originally going to be paid to us, no contract, not even telling us it was happening, so as I said a positive result. for those who are in the dark please see www.folkicons.co.uk/fbfcorrections.pdf and if you can find it , my review on Amazon which I am informed had a positive effect in reducing sales."

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: