TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 17, 2024, 10:21:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Festival Chatter  (Read 409446 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #620 on: September 20, 2023, 09:03:29 AM »

I love that 'RJ McKendree' album - one of my favourites of the last few years. I didn't know he was playing live - must look out for shows. Thanks Nick!  Smiley

I love it too (on cassette, of course)...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #621 on: September 20, 2023, 02:38:54 PM »

How could anyone not like an album that has song titles like "Bog Asphodel" and "Sad Portrait of a Dog"?!

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #622 on: October 06, 2023, 01:37:07 PM »

The Lancaster Music Festival runs from the 12th to the 15th of this month. There don't tend to be many big names playing though The Lovely Eggs are doing a hometown gig at Kanteena on the Friday evening.

https://lancastermusicfestival.com/index.html

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Kevin M
Seems reasonable to me

Loc: Solihull

« Reply #623 on: April 10, 2024, 08:37:43 PM »

Anyone looked at Cambridge line up this year? I rarely miss but so many acts this year that I’m not familiar with. Maybe need to be brave and see what they have to offer.
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #624 on: April 10, 2024, 09:29:44 PM »

Anyone looked at Cambridge line up this year? I rarely miss but so many acts this year that I’m not familiar with. Maybe need to be brave and see what they have to offer.

Only ones I recognise instantly, from lower down the set lists are K Priddy who supported RT in 2021 and Smith & Brewer who supported Fairport in 2020. Both enjoyable acts.
Kevin M
Seems reasonable to me

« Reply #625 on: April 15, 2024, 10:15:35 AM »

I think there are still some big names to announce, as Robert Plant seems the only one announced so far.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #626 on: April 15, 2024, 12:26:01 PM »

I think there are still some big names to announce, as Robert Plant seems the only one announced so far.

Law suits from Transatlantic Sessions, Oysterband, and Capercaillie etc. will be forthcoming... Wink

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Kevin M
Seems reasonable to me

« Reply #627 on: April 15, 2024, 01:20:55 PM »

You’re probably right about Transatlantic Sessions but Oysters and Capercaillie didn’t headline in their heyday so can’t see that changing now?
Mark J Salt

Loc: Sea view from a mountain in North Wales

« Reply #628 on: April 15, 2024, 02:06:57 PM »

Ralph McTell has announced Cambridge, Sidmouth and Glastonbury.
Kevin M
Seems reasonable to me

« Reply #629 on: April 17, 2024, 12:55:00 PM »

Sunday headline announced today - Blue Rose Code Scottish Soul - including Steve Knightley, Karine Polwart and Justin Currie - sounds fun.
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #630 on: May 10, 2024, 04:00:44 PM »

The current Rock n Reel magazine has a round-up of (mainly folk) festivals this summer and despite hearing of some being cancelled there is still a serious number of festivals which are going ahead.

Jacqui McShee is on the cover with the interview having taken place before Gerry's passing.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Chris from Fieldtown
Sorry Bob

Loc: Fieldtown, Oxon

« Reply #631 on: May 10, 2024, 09:48:59 PM »

The current Rock n Reel magazine has a round-up of (mainly folk) festivals this summer and despite hearing of some being cancelled there is still a serious number of festivals which are going ahead.

Jacqui McShee is on the cover with the interview having taken place before Gerry's passing.

Rock n Reel is a wonderful magazine and such a great resource. I've loved the interviews, the editorials, the reviews, all top class and always a great CD to bring to attention so many artists making great music. If you haven't got a subscription, it's little money for a great treat every couple of months.
dog-nap (Ian)
Now you've made me peckish

« Reply #632 on: Today at 12:32:41 AM »

Towersey have just put out this impassioned plea.  Depressingly similar to Simon’s message about Cropredy…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgHxclhbxC4
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #633 on: Today at 09:02:14 AM »

Towersey have just put out this impassioned plea.  Depressingly similar to Simon’s message about Cropredy…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgHxclhbxC4

It echoes almost exactly what Simon said didn't it.  These are existential times for the mid-sized festies...

Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #634 on: Today at 11:38:28 AM »

Breaking down the messages from Towersey, Cropredy, assorted other festivals and artists, it seems there are several main problematic areas:

Costs of Staging & Promoting the festival
 - Infrastructure
 - Artists fees
 - fuel
 - lighting
 - PA

Artists have been mentioning their costs:

- fuel
 - accommodation
 - equipment

But costs to customers have been going up steadily, too.
 - fuel
 - tickets
 - festival food & drink
 - merch such as t-shirts

So, of the above, what can be ameliorated?
 - Fuel costs will continue to rise, there's little doubt.
 - Artists' costs and thus fees are going through a sea change upwards.
   - Accommodation when touring has gone crazy. £400 a night in a Travelodge is actually cheaper than most other hotels.
     - B&B's don't usually provide safe storage for equipment. Even if they're cheaper, sometimes.
     - Staying with fans works for small bands and individual artists sometimes, but again, safe storage isn't available.

Tickets? Cropredy cost us £386 for two people plus camping this year, in the first tranche. Yes, prices go up, yes, we should expect it. Maybe they don't go up enough to cover costs? Perhaps that time has come.

Food & Drink at Festivals has increased in price every year too. In part that reflects their additional costs in getting a pitch, but for me, they're on the cusp of being a once-a-festival expenditure, if that. Bring our own? Yup. Maybe much more so now than before.

Merch. CD sales will be well down for all artists, fewer are sold every year. T-shirts for £50 aren't far away at all. Then the festivals *sometimes* take a cut as well as charging for the vendor's pitch. That adds cost too.

Also, artists. Fewer artists seem to be touring now, which can result in festivals having very similar lineups. Difficult choices for the customer.

The last time I heard Simon talking like this was 2004, Wendy and I answered that call. I hope all the festivals get a similar response this time.

By the way, with fewer festivals, the opportunity exists to spread them out a bit. Towersey and Shrewsbury the same weekend is just one example of a choice I'd prefer not to be given.

Anyway, just some random thoughts. Sorry if they're a bit depressive, I don't know any answers.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #635 on: Today at 12:10:01 PM »

The trouble with keeping chasing the money (£300 a ticket?) is that the customer is ever more likely to demand more (better services, options etc.) and complain loudly and bitterly when there's something they don't like (i.e. the lineup).  This same scenario is being played out in a large number of capitalistic markets.  What tends to happen is you end up with just the big boys (Glasto, Reading/Leeds etc.) and a few tiny niche players.  The vast majority of the middle-sized players will disappear...  I've said this before but my own personal opinion is that if Cropredy is to survive it needs to go small, go folk-rock, go niche. Day and a half.  3-5000 people.  Economies of scale.  Bring it all back round again... [I'm fully aware this will never happen].

fat Billy(Bill)
Babycham Bill
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: deepest suffolk

may decay in direct sunlight

« Reply #636 on: Today at 01:58:21 PM »

On the bright side small festivals and day events seem to be proliferating all over the place.

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: