TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 04, 2024, 04:24:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cropredy 2021  (Read 66095 times)
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #60 on: June 18, 2021, 11:58:55 AM »

The determining factor seems to be whether the government will underwrite insurance in the event of late cancellation. I am not optimistic about that.

My bigger concern would be that cases of the Delta variant is expected to peak around late July/early August which begs the question of whether it is a good idea at all. I would certainly be reluctant to mix in a big crowd. This thing is clearly not retreating yet and we probably need another few months to get us there. But I take Yabb's point about the country going stir crazy.
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #61 on: June 18, 2021, 03:41:22 PM »

... in which case, being a tall chap, you'll get a good view.

Flobbadob!
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #62 on: June 18, 2021, 03:43:03 PM »

That was for Andy, btw.

Flobbadob!
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #63 on: June 18, 2021, 11:34:29 PM »

Not long after Mike had his 2nd jab (Feb) we were taking about Cropredy & he said he still wouldn’t go (and August seemed a long way off at that time) as there would be crowds. We discussed how tents/caravans enabled social distancing & we’d be outside & we could be extra careful, but he wouldn’t have it.

A day or two later, out of the blue, he said of course we must go! What was the point of getting jabbed if you didn’t then get back out into society, albeit taking care & not taking silly risks? I have to say I completely agree. I see no reason why 15,000 odd people shouldn’t gather together in a field & enjoy themselves but just be a bit sensible. Don’t go if you have symptoms. They’ll probably check temperatures so be prepared for a wait to get onto the field. You might have to produce evidence you’ve had the jab, or evidence you can’t have it. There are ways around this. I’m sure Gareth has it all in hand…  Smiley

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
StephenB
something about the grinding beat
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

An Sasanach is fearr in Eirinn

« Reply #64 on: June 19, 2021, 03:16:25 AM »

I would walk there in bare feet and beg them if it was just a case of them teetering and not being sure - but I know they must be well on top of all the issues. The insurance is a massive one, but another major one has to be the wishes of the local population and the threat to them, and we of course have to respect that. I really don't want to contemplate them calling it off again, and I'm sure neither do they. After the last 18 months of weird dystopia, this is the one thing I've really looked forward to. I think  if I was religious I'd be praying right now.

One boxing match - what's that? A bout?
Chipton Blake

« Reply #65 on: June 21, 2021, 06:38:20 PM »

The Open Golf at Sandwich is a Government approved test event
and is allowing 32,000 people a day. I am sure the guys are onto it
but I wonder if you can apply for your event to be an approved “test event”
like say, Download Festival?
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #66 on: June 22, 2021, 12:15:42 PM »

Would it be viable at 10k attendees?
Wandering Steve

« Reply #67 on: June 22, 2021, 01:18:40 PM »

I think all the talk of keeping the community safe is a red herring.
If the festival was cancelled (unlikely when 45,000 can attend the euro final at Wembley) you can bet the fringe events would still take place and they will have people from all over coming and going as they wish.

Given that there’s no way the government can currently shut pubs etc how can anyone justify cancelling a festival where protocols can be enforced in favour of allowing events at public houses?

I’m sure given the age demographic that 95% of attendees would be fully vaccinated and the other 5% would have the chance to have at least their first jab , that there is no excuse not to hold it

I hope the fringe takes place too albeit with safety protocols in place rather than an Oxfordshire free for all for those who don’t support the main event.

Having visited both the brase and the lion I can confirm both are doing a great job and I hope this is the case in august.

In short to cancel the main event but still have thousands milling around the village for fringe events would be ridiculous imo.

The fringe imo will take place and be safe and given how good the organisation at the festival is I’m sure that the main event will be even safer.

If there’s one festival I would feel safe at its Cropredy due to the attendees who are a great sensible bunch and the organisers who I trust to put on a great safe event for all.

Wandering Steve

« Reply #68 on: June 22, 2021, 01:25:00 PM »

Didn’t mean to quote you in my post David !!
Sue & Chris

« Reply #69 on: June 22, 2021, 02:55:02 PM »

That's a depressing update. My reading of it is that the Festival will be cancelled unless the Government step in with cancellation insurance. That's clearly not going to happen, so it looks like no Cropredy again this year. No blame on the organisers - they are stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I really hope I'm wrong, but it feels like the writing is on the wall. Inevitably, restrictions will be lifted in July, but that will be too late and we will be left to mourn our Government's stubborn pig-headedness (again).
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #70 on: June 22, 2021, 03:16:17 PM »

Given that there’s no way the government can currently shut pubs etc how can anyone justify cancelling a festival where protocols can be enforced in favour of allowing events at public houses?

Insurance.

Government are not explicitly cancelling festivals, they are just not providing commitment or policy that enables festivals to ensure they can get cover. Without insurance, organisers of large scale events cannot afford the risks they face.

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
Wandering Steve

« Reply #71 on: June 22, 2021, 03:36:49 PM »

Insurance.

Government are not explicitly cancelling festivals, they are just not providing commitment or policy that enables festivals to ensure they can get cover. Without insurance, organisers of large scale events cannot afford the risks they face.

Point taken but haven’t we been told that restrictions will be lifted on July 19th??
I’ve just heard that 60,000 are being allowed into Wembley stadium in a quite confined space….
15,000 not being allowed in a bigger area of the festival site???

Pull the other one.

I know which event will have a bigger % of fully vaccinated attendees.

I know which one I’d be more comfortable with.

If 60,000 can attend Wembley there is no way that 15,000 won’t be allowed to attend Cropredy a couple of weeks later.

Why on earth are people worrying…?

There’s no justification for cancelling it.

The day Cropredy won’t take place but 60,000 can turn up at Wembley is the day they can end the festival and not have it again.

There’s no guarantee of next years situation as no one has a crystal ball so let’s put up a goal at each end of the festival field and get on with it whilst the vaccine works and things are as safe as they ever will be.

Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Block and Chip

« Reply #72 on: June 22, 2021, 03:46:54 PM »

All the above just indicates that government decisions don't necessarily add up.

However, at the end of the day, festival organisers face a choice: of going ahead, and accepting the risks that come with doing so, or cancelling, and accepting the risks that come with that. Financially speaking, if you can't get insurance, going ahead ceases to be an option, whatever the rights or wrongs of the situation.

Albie
or tea, if that is your cup of tea
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #73 on: June 22, 2021, 04:26:14 PM »

This is the problem when the system of Government we have chosen is a Buffoonocracy. Vagueness, confusion and contradiction rule the day, as they have for almost 18 months.
If football matches and Wimbledon can go ahead with capacity crowds, as they are soon to do, then so can Cropredy.
I feel huge amounts of sympathy for people who are trying to earn a living from anything hospitality related. They deserve better than the clowns we have put in charge.
Anyhow, I'm going to buy a ticket, even though the line-up isn't really to my taste. Fingers crossed.
YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

Loc: West Sussex

and mastery demands a certain style

« Reply #74 on: June 22, 2021, 09:01:48 PM »

The thing is that you need the status of a 'test event'. Otherwise the rules just might make an event nonviable and the rules can change without warning.
Also you need to be some sort of 'super test event' if there are no rules and JOY.

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
giottoscircle (Robert)
Water pistoled at the Sooty Show

Loc: Leeds

« Reply #75 on: June 22, 2021, 09:16:54 PM »

Does anyone know(roughly) what the loss (abortive costs etc) would be if they go ahead and then have to cancel closer to the event and what the likely profit is if it goes ahead normally?
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Block and Chip

« Reply #76 on: June 22, 2021, 11:05:31 PM »

Does anyone know(roughly) what the loss (abortive costs etc) would be if they go ahead and then have to cancel closer to the event and what the likely profit is if it goes ahead normally?

No idea of costs, but I do recall that Harvey Goldsmith, mega producer of stadium events including Live Aid, had to call in the receivers in 1999 after the failure of a festival he organised to mark the solar eclipse.

So if someone that big and that successful can struggle over the failure of a single event, more modest event organised stand no chance.

Cheers

Nick

giottoscircle (Robert)
Water pistoled at the Sooty Show

Loc: Leeds

« Reply #77 on: June 23, 2021, 09:18:23 AM »

No idea of costs, but I do recall that Harvey Goldsmith, mega producer of stadium events including Live Aid, had to call in the receivers in 1999 after the failure of a festival he organised to mark the solar eclipse.

So if someone that big and that successful can struggle over the failure of a single event, more modest event organised stand no chance.

Cheers

Nick

If I remember correctly the Goldsmith issue was that his festival went ahead and no one came. He had to pay the artistes and crew etc. At what stage would FC have to pay all the artistes for Cropredy if it is cancelled? I am guessing a while after 28 June. I can’t see anyone claiming they turned down a job elsewhere in the current climate?
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #78 on: June 23, 2021, 09:54:35 AM »

* FB_IMG_1624438361413.jpg (19.17 KB, 603x466 - viewed 581 times.)

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #79 on: June 23, 2021, 10:05:46 AM »

Another factor no-one's mentioned yet is the lead time required for Hook Norton to brew sufficient beer for Cropredy punters if the festival is going ahead.

At least 50,000 pints of ale are consumed at the festival (estimate from The Woodworm Era book), "at least" being the operative words - nowadays it's probably more like 65-70,000 pints !

To ensure enough beer is brewed, especially as the new suppliers, I reckon Hook Norton would need at least a month, possibly even more notice to fulfil requirements. Beer takes time to brew, so they'll have a deadline by which they need to know what's going on.

Not worth imagining the fuss if they run out of beer before Saturday evening !
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: