TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 19, 2024, 02:31:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Winter Tour reviews and photos  (Read 120002 times)
kaylakins

Loc: Birmingham

"Charmingly witty. Quietly wise."

« Reply #100 on: February 14, 2006, 08:04:08 PM »

Last Night at Leeds was fabulous!!!

I don't think I've ever heard PJ Wright before, and to be honest didn't have too high hopes...but I found my foot tapping along and that was definately a good sign!! Really enjoyed his set.

Fairport were fantastic, although the crowd were a bit sedate i thought, which made me less likely to jig around in my seat to enjoy it a bit more...
still, was fabulous!! A brillinat mix of new songs and old classics, with a few thrown in that I hadn't heard before, which was a tremendous addition to a fabuloous night:)

It didn't hurt that Chris said happy birthday to me in the second half...I went very very very red!!

During the new song (can't recall it's name - its been a long day!) it did look as though Simon forgot the guitat part and his words, but he soon got back into it..

Have been listening to the new cd since thsi morning - on the coach journey and on my cd player when i can, and I love it!! it's got a fab mix of all the sings I know and love (with the exception of i think 2 that were new to me)

Overall, a fabulous experience, (and the perfect end to an otherwise terrible birthday) all eth guys were friendly and chatty as usual...

The shoes that chris were wearing are from Canada, and someone sent them over for him - thats what he said last night!

*goes to try adn figure out if she can make any other dates*

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."

~ Dr. Seuss
Penguin (Dunc)
O RLY?
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Royton, Lancashire

The Wrong Side of Weird!

« Reply #101 on: February 15, 2006, 12:05:30 PM »

St Valentine's Day - Burnley.  Shocked

PJ Wright got the evening off to a great start - Very enjoyable, but sadly no slide guitar.

Well the reports of a rockier Fairport set aren't being exaggerated, I was very tempted to nip down the front and do a spot of moshing during sections of 'Tam Lin' & 'Already There'.  I wasn't sure if the nice people sat at the 'cabaret setting' tables would have been too happy though, and stage-diving was definitely out of the question……………… Wink

It seems that every time I see Fairport on the Winter Tour I say "I don't think I've seen them play better" and last nights gig at Burnley was no exception.  For me the sets were nicely balanced with the mix of old & new(er) songs and also in the variation in tempo throughout the evening.  The highlights for me were the afore mentioned 'Tam Lin' really rocking out, hearing 'Red & Gold' outside of the Cropredy environment for a change, and watching Mr Pegg play harmonics on his bass during one tune - you sometimes forget just what superb musicians the chaps are.

Simon even apologised for playing 'Matty'.  Don't get excited all you 'Matty' detractors, he just didn't think a song about adultery & murder was really suitable for St Valentine's Day, but as he said "it's on the list".

All in all it was a great night in Burnley (unless you're a Burnley football fan that is).  Fez

Cheers
Dunc

It Doesn't Stop Being Magic Just Because You Know How It's Done!
Bernie

« Reply #102 on: February 15, 2006, 12:27:15 PM »

Wey Hey....my turn tonight to see the boys at Southport, seems hard to believe that Cropredy was the last time I saw the full line up!
Saw the 'Acoustic' four in Radcliffe November, but it was not quite the same.  Was a bit fed up that would not be seeing Peggy on the Spring tour but when I read the news today re: Pegg and Peej I guess he opted not to do the 'acoustic' gigs because he had so much on with the duo thingy.  Ooh I am beginning to get excited.  Leaving work a bit earlier, yippee, hope to report back tomorrow with a review of the night....Mike C..guess you will be there tonight??  anyone else???

Bernie from Southport
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #103 on: February 15, 2006, 01:37:13 PM »

but when I read the news today re: Pegg and Peej I guess he opted not to do the 'acoustic' gigs because he had so much on with the duo thingy.  Bernie from Southport

Sorry, have I missed something?
Suzanne
I have their verdicts in writing

"Mum" to Bentley's Ben and Barnaby

« Reply #104 on: February 15, 2006, 01:42:10 PM »

Nothing to worry about Malcolm:

Whilst Gerry, Ric, Chris and Simon are doing an acoustic tour, Peggy and PJ will be doing their own little tour.  A bit of information can be found on the Fairport Convention official website where PJ has written a brief article called "From the van".
Bernie

« Reply #105 on: February 15, 2006, 01:45:18 PM »

There is a report on the FC website from PJ on the road 'in the van' he mentions it in there.....
Dave Russell
Has a strangE PracticE

Loc: Chester

Grumpy Old Man

« Reply #106 on: February 15, 2006, 06:31:36 PM »

All in all it was a great night in Burnley

Seconded!
Dad Volt
Disturber of the Peace
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Preston Lancs

Same as before!

« Reply #107 on: February 16, 2006, 12:27:43 AM »

Not much to add from the above regarding the Southport gig tonight, although the gig was certainly the hottest ticket in town as I had to be squeezed in at the very back!!Set list was as described previously (As I recall) Good gig and the guys really seemed to be enjoying themselves. Our very own Bernie (Well I assume it was our one) had a dedication and a great time was had by all, by far the best I have seen Fairport Convention on tour for several years, great to hear old favourites dusted off and also a brand new song, what more could you want.  Fez Fez
Oh and I finally managed to pick up Joss's 'Festival Folk' book as well.  Fez

Happy mainly.
Bernie

« Reply #108 on: February 16, 2006, 11:14:27 AM »

Yes agree with you Dad Volt..excellent evening out....everyone on top form....missed the banter from Peggy though, thought he was  quiet on stage and did not get the crowd clapping like he usually does.....nice dedication for me...wow!!!.....

Did not see anyone resembling you at all, even weighing up the vertical to the horizontal, but did not see any person whatsoever with a fez stuck to their chest!!

Are you going to Blackpool???    Warrington?Huh
Nuthouse
He wasn't born to follow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Northampton

« Reply #109 on: February 16, 2006, 01:36:41 PM »

Photgraphs at The Deco in Northampton

Before the RT gig the Deco announced that photography was not allowed

Given that FC appear to have invited people to take and share pictures and reviews of the Winter Tour I have just called the Deco to check to see what their policy is.

The lady that I spoke to was very pleasant (well, it's Northampton isn't it Cheesy) and the bottom line is that the Deco seems to err on the side of caution and not allow photography as some performers prefer this to be the case.

If Simon, or anyone else, sees this  is there any chance of you mentioning to The Deco that you are OK with pictures being taken (if this is, indeed, the case)

Clearly, no-one wishes to cause offence or embarrasment and it's always good to have some pictures of the gigs.

Many thanks  Wink

What isn't real is genuine illusion....
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #110 on: February 16, 2006, 02:20:46 PM »

Yes please it would be good to be able to take photos at the gigs without fear of being 'told off' by the usual jobsworths.. I had this at Chesterfield when a young usher ticked me off..  after the gig Chris L said he'd been trying to catch the lads eye to tell him it was ok for us to take piccies....

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #111 on: February 16, 2006, 07:22:38 PM »

Mayhap you should drop a line to Martin Driver, who can check it out with the band.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Nuthouse
He wasn't born to follow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #112 on: February 16, 2006, 08:51:48 PM »

Good point Andy...

The Deco could not have been more reasonable in their explanation, and I am sure that a nod from the right quarter will settle the matter

martin driver
I like the cut of his gibberish
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surbiton

« Reply #113 on: February 16, 2006, 09:39:23 PM »

Mayhap you should drop a line to Martin Driver, who can check it out with the band.

I will speak to Rob Braviner, perhaps he can have a quiet word with people at the Deco. 
Nuthouse
He wasn't born to follow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #114 on: February 16, 2006, 09:42:58 PM »

I will speak to Rob Braviner, perhaps he can have a quiet word with people at the Deco. 

What an all round good bloke !

Amethyst (Jenny)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #115 on: February 16, 2006, 11:48:58 PM »

Just home from a really FAB night at The Winding Wheel in Chesterfield...  band well on form.. wonderful  night...  maybe more later.. need to sleep now...  No photos.. Chris Bates was there taking them for us Grin

Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #116 on: February 17, 2006, 12:18:28 AM »

Good man! That'll get you a pint at Croppers!

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Ethans Granny (Carolyn)
going off to join the circus

Loc: Banbury

« Reply #117 on: February 17, 2006, 07:50:19 AM »

The Stables apparently charges £200 for photography even WITH the band's permission!

Carolyn
Amethyst (Jenny)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #118 on: February 17, 2006, 09:29:39 AM »

That's disgraceful.. how on earth can they justify that??

Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #119 on: February 17, 2006, 10:35:15 AM »

The Stables apparently charges £200 for photography even WITH the band's permission!

Carolyn

I suppose people go to hear modern jazz and can afford that! (Johnny Dankworth & his missus own the place and it is ever so posh). Some of them probably wear suits Grin

Ch***t, imagine sitting in a suit listening to FC.

I can assure you I shan't be wearng one to St Alban's tonight

Malcolm
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: