TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 05, 2024, 05:39:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Winter Tour reviews and photos  (Read 119526 times)
Ellie
Access All Areas

Loc: Newcastle

...is a festival tart...but not in a bad way

« Reply #160 on: February 26, 2006, 12:44:32 AM »

Just got back from the Sage, missed my last bus and had to wait in the rain for 40 mins for a taxi....anyway, the show was great.  I had a dedication but was backstage so I misseed it! Typical.  Was good fun though.  Met Chris, recognised him in the dark.  And was the only one to cheer any mention of Northamptonshire/Banbury (apart from mentions of Cropredy of course).  Anyway am sleepy and doing a quiz to find out what type of film should be based on my life...an indie flick apparently.

Bye El x

www.myspace.com/ellieskinner

soon to have music...
www.myspace.com/skynte
so still a little quiet, but the logo's good!!!!
peterryb

Far from the Western Hills of Birth

« Reply #161 on: February 26, 2006, 07:16:35 PM »

Yes, but well done Ellie for going. What's wrong with a bit of initiative and independence? - wait for a late bus/taxi home? So what, what else would you have wanted? Staying at home watching "Casualty"? Does that really compare to some great live music, and real excitement, real art and expression??
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #162 on: February 26, 2006, 10:19:29 PM »

Here's a couple from Weston-super-Mud.....more to come hopefully as I finally find time to sort them rather than take 'em! Embarrassed

[attachment deleted by admin]

Ellie
Access All Areas

Loc: Newcastle

...is a festival tart...but not in a bad way

« Reply #163 on: February 27, 2006, 10:02:43 AM »

Yes, but well done Ellie for going. What's wrong with a bit of initiative and independence? - wait for a late bus/taxi home? So what, what else would you have wanted? Staying at home watching "Casualty"? Does that really compare to some great live music, and real excitement, real art and expression??

Well indeed!  I think I confused myself the other night - I was working at the Sage and they usually provide taxis if you are working past a certain time, but as I was working for a different department so I didn't get one.  And the Chris I met was the Chris above with all the lovely photos.
El

www.myspace.com/ellieskinner

soon to have music...
www.myspace.com/skynte
so still a little quiet, but the logo's good!!!!
Tony Beacom
n3wb

Loc: Hatton, Aberdeenshire, Scotland

« Reply #164 on: February 27, 2006, 12:43:49 PM »

Monday morning....Reflecting on Saturday evening at the Sage.  Drove 268 miles from a lovely sunny Aberdeenshire arrived in a bloody freezing Newcastle, hotel hosting three stag parties on Saturday night, one hours sleep then drove home.  Was it worth it?  Every single second!!!  What a show, what a venue.   Well done guys, well done staff at the Sage. Grin Grin Grin

The road goes on forever.....
anne

Loc: hadrians wall cumbria

« Reply #165 on: February 27, 2006, 10:03:50 PM »

Hello Tony and ?Michelle from Aberdeen , we were the two people from Carlisle sitting next to you! I agree it was a great gig, really lived up to all of the reviews so far. My daughter is just so mad that shw could not get a ticket for Nothampton 'cause she left it too late.  Will look out for you both at Northern Fairport gigs in the future......Anne and Bob
Nuthouse
He wasn't born to follow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Northampton

« Reply #166 on: February 28, 2006, 10:36:22 AM »

A couple from last night at the Deco in Northampton:

What isn't real is genuine illusion....
Nuthouse
He wasn't born to follow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #167 on: February 28, 2006, 10:40:16 AM »

GC hiding in there somewhere...

martin driver
I like the cut of his gibberish
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surbiton

« Reply #168 on: February 28, 2006, 10:41:28 AM »

Any chance of a review of the Deco gig Nuts. Can we also have a report on the days events/gathering, who won the golf etc. (as if anyone cares about such a silly game)   Roll Eyes
Nuthouse
He wasn't born to follow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #169 on: February 28, 2006, 10:47:10 AM »

DP in Bass mode....

Nuthouse
He wasn't born to follow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #170 on: February 28, 2006, 10:51:20 AM »

DP in Mando mode (with CL)

Nuthouse
He wasn't born to follow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #171 on: February 28, 2006, 10:53:25 AM »

CL....

Nuthouse
He wasn't born to follow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #172 on: February 28, 2006, 10:56:49 AM »

RS and CL..

Nuthouse
He wasn't born to follow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #173 on: February 28, 2006, 10:59:56 AM »

RS..

Nuthouse
He wasn't born to follow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #174 on: February 28, 2006, 11:02:15 AM »

PJ Wright..

martin driver
I like the cut of his gibberish
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surbiton

« Reply #175 on: February 28, 2006, 11:03:45 AM »

Great pics Nuts, thanks for sharing them with us
Nuthouse
He wasn't born to follow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #176 on: February 28, 2006, 11:04:42 AM »

PJW ans RS...

Nuthouse
He wasn't born to follow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #177 on: February 28, 2006, 11:27:04 AM »

Hopefully there is something there to please everybody, and thank you to The Deco and Rob Braviner for allowing us snappers to grab a few shots as momentos of another great night of music.

In recent weeks we have had RT and Fairport playing and I hope that the Deco will build upon this - a smashing venue right in the middle of town, next to a car park and not far from the train station.... all power to the Deco !

The golf... see the Corporation Arms for both sides of the story. Honours even I would say but a return is being considered but maybe a foursome would be good - any more golfers out there ?

As for meet-ups, I think having the gig on a Monday made it difficult for people travelling but variously we had Skirky, Folkie & young chap, Ulla, SoN and myself there for the main event.

I am biased, I think PJ Wright is terrific in any incarnation and he was on form last night. Seeing Messrs Fletcher and Turner in the bar I skipped a beat to think that PJ may have been joined up on stage for a tune or two but it was not to be, but that is just being greedy  Grin

As reported on previous reviews, FC joined PJ for Lily of Barbary - as usual, a seamless and sympathetic flow from support to 'main event'

Fairport were their usual masterful self...quite correctly the award for Liege and Lief was mentioned and accompanied with Tam Lin and Crazy Man Michael. Who Knows was introduced with a reminiscence by Simon of meeting Sandy and with a request that she should be let into the room we were treated to a fine rendition of this classic.

As ever there were fret board fireworks from Ric and Chris and not to be outdone Peggy showed nimble fingers on bass and mando alike.

Gerry , as ever, was hiding behind the kit but boy, you knew he was there all right  Grin

Another class night.... for anyone who has seen them - you will know what I mean; for anyone who has yet to see them - you are in for a treat.

More pictures from last night can be seen at http://homepage.mac.com/stuartvincent/PhotoAlbum7.html if you still want more !  Wink
« Last Edit: February 28, 2006, 12:11:18 PM by Nuthouse » Logged

Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #178 on: February 28, 2006, 05:52:55 PM »

Great piccies Nuts!!!

Grin Grin

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #179 on: February 28, 2006, 07:24:09 PM »

"Tiger" Nuthouse (the chocolate Godfather himself) seems to covered pretty much all the bases ther - If I were to venture any further comment, it would be to echo something said about an earlier date in that everyone in the band seemed to be concentrating very, very hard - I'm not reading anything into it, but it wasn't exactly a party going on on stage. And I would say that whenever I've seen Simon introduce WKWTTG live, his comments are always very moving - it's easy to forget that these names from biographies and rock family trees were people's friends, bandmates and companions. He did rightly look and sound rather proud of L&L's recent recognition too. Great sound, great playing, and certainly one of the few bands where something that hasn't been signed after the gig is likely to be rarer than something autographed  Wink   Picked up a copy of the new live CD for the journey home - very nice souvenir, and does this mean that Talking Elephant won't be releasing OTNH with a couple of live tracks nailed on the end and calling it something different shortly?  Roll Eyes Also a very informative list of "Who we've booked for Cropredy so far" pinned up behind the merch stall.... Would I change anything (not that it's any of my bloody business, mind)? Dig out a Rickenbacker from storage somewhere Norm, and it was nice having a lead guitarist on stage at the end there too. I'm just saying. Oh, and the programme was a hearty read once I got home - nice work.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: