TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 15, 2024, 08:17:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jerry Donahue  (Read 23955 times)
Andy Leonard

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2007, 01:48:34 AM »

I went to the Camberley gig on Thursday night and I thought it was an excellent show.  It was about 3/4 full and the band were on fire.  They are using this tour as a toe in the water to see see if it works.  In their opinion (and mine) it does work and they consider, having spoken at length to Clive Bunker, they are all now part of a full time band, individual commitments permitting.  They are writing new material and are hoping with better publicity to make a bigger impact next year and with the talent on show I have no doubt they will. To see Ray Jackson back on a stage for the first time in almost 10 years was worth the admission fee alone and I think the future for the Gathering is very bright indeed.    

Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2007, 07:29:10 PM »

I think they're definitely suffering from an identity crisis. 'The Gathering'? No one has heard of that name.
Also, there's no indication of what is going to be played.

o, yes - a marketing problem. They're with management / agent that handles bands like The Animals, Troggs etc etc...and being put in rock clubs, rather than in arts centres, where most of them are known.

OK, Clive B will have played most of those venues in various line-ups, but I doubt Ray Jackson, Jerry or Mr Kemp has...

davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2007, 07:46:47 PM »

I think they're definitely suffering from an identity crisis. 'The Gathering'? No one has heard of that name.
Also, there's no indication of what is going to be played.

o, yes - a marketing problem. They're with management / agent that handles bands like The Animals, Troggs etc etc...and being put in rock clubs, rather than in arts centres, where most of them are known.

OK, Clive B will have played most of those venues in various line-ups, but I doubt Ray Jackson, Jerry or Mr Kemp has...

Do you think Lindisfarne, Fairport and Steeleye played in arts centres in the 70's?  Of course not...they all played the rock circuit.  After all, in reality they were rock music at the time.  As for the indication of what is going to be played I would have thought that 'Legends of Folk-Rock' gives a small clue.

Sounds to me like they need new management, a new publicist and a decent slot at Cropredy.  That will sort 'em....  Wink

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2007, 07:56:27 PM »

But the people that went to the rock clubs back then don't frequent them now....

Dr Clive

Loc: Chiswell Green, St Albans

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2007, 04:44:57 PM »

As for the indication of what is going to be played I would have thought that 'Legends of Folk-Rock' gives a small clue.

This was my point - what they played (IMHO, of course) could only very loosely be said to have fitted this description.

DC
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2007, 04:48:24 PM »

My take on the marketing side of things would be that one of the names needs to be above the title

Jerry Donahue and The Gathering for instance.

I know it probbaly goes against what the band is about but commercially Jerry is still a draw for guitarists throughout the world and he would put bums on seats.

David W
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2007, 09:17:38 PM »

I think that would be excellent - be interesting to hear what the others thought though....I suspect the odd ego is getting in there maybe?

Dr Monk

« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2007, 10:58:29 AM »

I think that would be excellent - be interesting to hear what the others thought though....I suspect the odd ego is getting in there maybe?

Or perhaps a shortage of ego - if the band was formed as a collective effort, probably no-one's wanted to suggest naming the band after themselves. I agree that it would probably get more bums on seats if they did though.
Andy Leonard

« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2007, 12:24:20 PM »

Having spoken at length to Clive Bunker the other night at Camberley they all feel they are equal and therefore no one should be fronting the band or having their name featured i.e Jerry Donahue (or whoever) and the Gathering.  It has nothing whatsoever to do with ego, just a collective decision.  I hope that helps.

David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2007, 12:26:02 PM »

Having spoken at length to Clive Bunker the other night at Camberley they all feel they are equal and therefore no one should be fronting the band or having their name featured i.e Jerry Donahue (or whoever) and the Gathering.  It has nothing whatsoever to do with ego, just a collective decision.  I hope that helps.

I absolutely understand that in terms of the band but it doesn't seem to make great commercial sense.

david
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2007, 02:01:24 PM »

That is basically what I meant - keep all egos at the same level but not naming anyone in particular.

BUt I also think it is commercial suicide, and should at least feature their surnames, possibly in alphabeticakl order....

johanna/ulla
The Cropredy Opening Act
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Worms, Germany

Don´t mention the war

« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2007, 02:05:26 PM »

You mean people would like to see the

Bunker, Donahue, Donahue, Jackson, Kemp, Morter Band
Andy Leonard

« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2007, 02:06:11 PM »

It's all early days and the fact that we are discussing it shows to me that with a bit more publicity it will be a runner.  The other thing that is worth remembering is that The Gathering will (no doubt) be mentioned on all of the websites of each member's past/current bands.  Certainly there a mention is on the Lindisfarne and Fairport website.  I think quality will rise to the top and with (hopefully) a Cropredy appearance next year it will be interesting to see if my prediction is proved correct.  

Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2007, 02:20:59 PM »

No, just "Bunker - Donahue - Jackson - Kemp - Morter" below 'Legends of Folk Rock'

Then you know exactly who you're getting....

anne n bob

Loc: Hadrians Wall

« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2007, 04:58:58 PM »

Hi we were at Southport last night and following the not very good comments previously were wondering if it was gonna be worth the long drive down form Carlisle ( and Bob coming back from work in Dublin on the Friday night to do the long drive!). It was a GREAT gig with a roughly three quarter full hall. They played a storming folkROCK set. They covered a variety of material with notably  great versions of Meet Me On The Corner and Lady Eleanor. Inevitably with Ray Jackson as IMHO the only real front man of the group the whole gig had a feel of Lindisfarne in the arrangements which again is no bad thing. The arrangements and variations to the original tracks played reflected well the abilities of all the members. Yes the chat between the songs was not as natural as it is in Fairport but they are just starting to come together as a group and I'm sure if they choose to continue it will improve. The 3 track ep with the program is great and left me wanting a whole album. The audience were happy and the final encore "Brampton to Roadhead Blues" written by Rick Kemp was stunning - its on the EP, so try and find one to buy.  I would love to see them again esp. at Cropredy next year when I'm sure they would go down a storm - if given a chance. Hope this encourages som of you to go out and see them.....Anne  Kiss Kiss Kiss
AdrianW
always good to have a target to miss
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: South Cheshire

"The weird bloke"

« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2007, 08:45:14 PM »

Chiming in a bit late on this thread. I got to see The Gathering at Wolverhampton (my third attempt - the first was rained off in the summer, and the Crewe gig was cancelled). The venue had been changed (possibly due to the darts, possibly due to poor ticket sales).

It was hugely enjoyable, and I hope to see more of them over the next few years.

My only gripe is down to publicity - or the lack of it.

-- Adrian
I cried for madder music and for stronger wine,
johanna/ulla
The Cropredy Opening Act
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Worms, Germany

Don´t mention the war

« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2007, 01:34:16 PM »

I would love to see them again esp. at Cropredy next year when I'm sure they would go down a storm - if given a chance.

Oh yes! Gareth? Book them please  Kiss
PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2007, 03:20:11 PM »

You mean people would like to see the

Bunker, Donahue, Donahue, Jackson, Kemp, Morter Band

I think you've got the two Donahues in the wrong order there.  Wink
Jefferson

Loc: Littlehampton, West Sussex

« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2007, 10:20:52 AM »

I spoke with Jerry after the Burgess Hill gig who told me they were 'earmarked' for the Thursday night slot at Cropredy next year.

However, I've just seen this morning seen that Neil Young is booked in at the Apollo Hammersmith on the 5, 6, 8 & 9th August next year - this leaves him free to dart up the M40 for an acoustic set at Croppers on the Friday night (or is this just wishfull thinking?) Undecided

... and don't go mistaking paradise for that home across the road!
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2007, 10:34:45 AM »

However, I've just seen this morning seen that Neil Young is booked in at the Apollo Hammersmith on the 5, 6, 8 & 9th August next year -

March not August..

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: