TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 12, 2024, 08:22:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wilson & Swarbrick  (Read 8573 times)
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« on: January 25, 2010, 09:10:37 PM »

Following on from the Gaughan\Swarb gig I was at in Glasgow on Saturday I just found this on Jason Wilson's web site -

Jason and Swarb are currently in the studio finishing their first collaborative effort entitled The Lion Rampant. The album, which includes some traditional numbers as well as some brand new pieces, should be released sometime in 2010. Stay tuned for details.

More info at http://jasonwilsonmusic.com/newsframe.html

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Jack Westwood

Loc: Glasgow

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 08:09:11 AM »

Colin!  Sorry I missed you there.  I thought it was a great night.

Everyone was in great form.  Ther Jason Wilson Band WITH Swarb and Dick - now there's an idea!

I have some photies if I can figure out how to get them here.  There were instructions in the past....anyone know where they are?

PS Maart enjoyed it too.
PPS Jason played at the festival club afterwards, sandwiched by Alistair FRaser and the Karen Matheson Band!

We had an argument the other night - all because she said I didn't open the car door for her.  She said I panicked and swam out my side first....
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 08:27:40 AM »

See the intro to TAW24 for photo resizing etc (if you're in the Corp Arms)

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Jack Westwood

Loc: Glasgow

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 09:22:24 AM »

Cheers Andy!  I'll give it a go later today - once I've seen youngest daughter off on Italian Ski trip, taken son to work, collected daughter No 1 for Docs, bought food, sought out new mandolin case, written speech for the last Burns' Supper of the season, etc....you get the picture....

We had an argument the other night - all because she said I didn't open the car door for her.  She said I panicked and swam out my side first....
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 12:20:32 PM »

A long time acomin', but looks worth a punt: Smiley

http://www.propermusic.com/product-details/Wilson-and-Swarbrick-Lion-Rampant-165473?Image&utm_source=Sign-Up.to&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=14047-232351-PMC098b+-+Newsletter+%28Forthcoming%29

This from Jonathan Wilson's website & is probably quite old.

"SUMMER SINGLE, LION RAMPANT TO FOLLOW, W/VERY SPECIAL GUESTS
Wilson & Swarbrick’s provocative blending of Burns’ ‘My Love is Like a Red, Red Rose’ with Marley’s ‘No Woman No Cry’ has already garnered a lot of attention and will be officially released as the debut single from Lion Rampant in time for Wilson’s Canadian tour. The single has been featured on BBC Radio Scotland and is currently being played on United Airlines flights going in and out of British Columbia in advance of Jason’s folk festival appearances there in July. Featured alongside ‘My Love is Like a Red, Red Rose/No Woman, No Cry’ will be three other tracks: ‘Matty Groves’ from Peacemaker’s Chauffeur, ‘Spanish Ladies Medley’ from Swarbrick’s raison d'être and a bonus cut entitled ‘The Ballad of Jack McLaren’. The album will be released later this year." (From Wilson's website & is probably quite old)

Happily, Lion Rampant boasts an unbelievable list of special guests, including English folk-icon Martin Carthy, guitar virtuoso Jerry Donahue, the inimitable Peggy Seeger, Scotland’s gorgeous Bevvy Sisters and Scottish troubadour Dick Gaughan who, we are delighted to say, will be joining Wilson for his performances this summer.
x
Having located the intersections of various rebel musics from the past three hundred years, Wilson & Swarbrick – with help from their friends and Wilson’s fantastic Canadian band (Marcus Ali, Iain Green, RJ Satchithananthan and Andrew Stewart) – invite you to join their folky, jazzy, punky reggae party!"

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 01:22:08 PM »

30 sec MP3 previews available on Amazon.co.uk

Sounds intriguing...

Flobbadob!
NeilMcLaughlin

Loc: Ohio

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2014, 10:11:27 PM »

Now that this is out, I wonder how people on the list who have it feel about it?  I got my copy in the mail last week, and I guess I just
had a certain sort of expectation of what it might sound like based on the description of "reggae-meets-folk" that it didn't exactly meet on the first listen.  So I did something I rarely ever do with a brand new CD, I played it thru a second time immediately after the first listen, and decided I liked it once I put away any preconception of what it ought to sound like.  Perhaps the hardest thing for me was the sequencing of Sandy's "John the Gun" immediately followed by Richard's "Why Must I Plead", because having two back-to-back cover versions of songs I really love that are very different from versions I'm used to made it hard for me to hear them on their own merits.  A week later, having listened to the whole thing a third time, I quite enjoy what Wilson & Swarb have done.

Is it too late to change the way we're bound to go?
fstix (Michael)

Loc: Adelaide, Australia

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 12:11:29 PM »

Here's my review: http://rootsandbranchesaustralia.wordpress.com/2014/03/18/cd-review-wilson-swarbrick-lion-rampant/

More like I am today than I ever have been before.
arie

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 03:00:35 PM »

This from Jonathan Wilson's website & is probably quite old.

That's what I read first, before I saw the rest.
Now that would be something, Jonathan Wilson with Swarb!
But it is his less talented cousin Jason   Sad

Sounds interesting though, will give it a try

vriendelijke groeten
Arie
Paul
I've Got A Bike
Global Moderator

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2014, 09:50:16 PM »

They are booked for Wickham festival.

Paul

GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2014, 10:37:01 AM »

Paul

I had overlooked that. Do we know which day? I can't wait.

I bought and listened to the album over the weekend and loved it. Much as I admire Swarb's playing, I am not a great fan of wholly acoustic folk generally so prefer to hear Swarb let loose with a band. This to me, given my tastes, is some of his most satisfying work since Fairport. Great fun.
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2014, 03:01:38 PM »

Thanks Al - you made up my mind for me - I'll get it ordered today!

Flobbadob!
Paul
I've Got A Bike
Global Moderator

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2014, 08:59:13 PM »

Paul

I had overlooked that. Do we know which day? I can't wait.

I bought and listened to the album over the weekend and loved it. Much as I admire Swarb's playing, I am not a great fan of wholly acoustic folk generally so prefer to hear Swarb let loose with a band. This to me, given my tastes, is some of his most satisfying work since Fairport. Great fun.

Odd, I can't find it on any of the Wickham sites. I think I had it on a piece of paper somewhere.

Paul

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: