TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 10, 2024, 03:10:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Richard Thompson, OBE  (Read 47513 times)
Goaty
Ewen the Navigator
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Son of a Nun

« Reply #60 on: December 31, 2010, 02:03:05 PM »

edit button???

It's labelled Modify, to the top right of your post, between Quote & Remove.

Thanks but I only see Quote, do I need to update something somewhere perhaps?

No, the option of modifying or removing a post expires after a certain time.

I could be the catalyst that sparks the revolution, I could be an inmate in a long-term institution ...
Bob Barrows
Give me time ... it will wear on me
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Auburn, MA USA

Bob

« Reply #61 on: December 31, 2010, 02:04:04 PM »

I see The Guardian refers to "guitarist and songwriter Richard Thompson, once of Fairport Convention but also a writer of lyrics for Robert Plant and Elvis Costello".

Did I miss something?!!

Maybe. Are you aware that Percy covered RT's House of Cards on his latest release, Band of Joy? And that Elvis has covered a few of his songs ... 'course RT wrote more than the lyrics, so the article is inaccurate in that respect,
Edthefolkie
The relish on the baguette

Loc: East Midlands, UK

Sir John gives me guidance

« Reply #62 on: December 31, 2010, 02:05:14 PM »

I'm really chuffed for Richard, it's splendid news (but maybe it should have been a CBE).

Somehow I have this mind picture of a tall figure in a long black coat and topper, walking into the audience chamber playing the hurdy gurdy and singing "Calvary Cross". AAARGH!  Roll Eyes

Happy New Year everybody!

Sorry dear, Rabelais' off
Pugwash
Left hand down a bit
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: The East Midland Sea, currently.

The star formerly known as Gareth

« Reply #63 on: December 31, 2010, 02:16:31 PM »

Well done that Thompson and folk importance recognised as well

Jamie

« Reply #64 on: December 31, 2010, 02:26:06 PM »

I see The Guardian refers to "guitarist and songwriter Richard Thompson, once of Fairport Convention but also a writer of lyrics for Robert Plant and Elvis Costello".

Did I miss something?!!

Maybe. Are you aware that Percy covered RT's House of Cards on his latest release, Band of Joy? And that Elvis has covered a few of his songs ... 'course RT wrote more than the lyrics, so the article is inaccurate in that respect,

Indeed. I would, perhaps pedantically, point out that 'being covered by' is different from 'writing lyrics [and/or music] for'. It just annoys me when journalists don't do their research - it wouldn't have taken too much digging to get it right.
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #65 on: December 31, 2010, 02:39:52 PM »

Let joy be unconfined. A genuine piece of good news that I, for one, heartily applaud. Smiley

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
the_willing_sinner

Loc: Stafford

« Reply #66 on: December 31, 2010, 03:34:22 PM »

About bloody time - Congrats to RT

Grin
StephenGiles
much grovelling in the attic

« Reply #67 on: December 31, 2010, 04:05:22 PM »

From the Daily Telegraph New Year's Honours List:

Richard Thompson. Folk Musician and Songwriter. For services to Music.

Great news indeed - we are not allowed much good news by the media, so we should make the most of it.
StephenGiles
much grovelling in the attic

« Reply #68 on: December 31, 2010, 04:06:42 PM »

Immediately after posting I don't have an edit button - I must type more slowly.
Dr Clive

Loc: Chiswell Green, St Albans

« Reply #69 on: December 31, 2010, 04:08:31 PM »

Did I miss something?!!

I assumed Jamie's original comment was referring to the complete omission of any reference to Richard performing his own songs...

The Guardian is usually more accurate than this, having had one of the best writers on folk/roots music (Robin Denselow) on its staff for donkey's years; I can only assume the original Guardian piece was written by the Court Correspondent  Wink

DC
T2k (Tracy)
all sorts of giggling and jiggling

« Reply #70 on: December 31, 2010, 04:10:56 PM »

Bloody Fantastic Cheesy

Now which song should he sing to celebrate this...?
PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #71 on: December 31, 2010, 05:00:27 PM »

should have told them where to stick it

Charming.
Dr Clive

Loc: Chiswell Green, St Albans

« Reply #72 on: December 31, 2010, 05:44:47 PM »

Bloody Fantastic Cheesy

Now which song should he sing to celebrate this...?

Now be Thankful?

DC
Harbottle (Martin)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Coventry

Hark at me!

« Reply #73 on: December 31, 2010, 05:50:35 PM »

Well done... Good to see someone out of the mainstream recognised.

I believe you can't actually turn down a honour - you are asked if you'd be interested in receiving one before you're awarded one... At least that's what someone told me.

As RT has accepted, he's clearly honoured to have been asked...

"Nothing, like something, happens anywhere." - Philip Larkin
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #74 on: December 31, 2010, 06:35:08 PM »

By the way, as he's also been nominated for a Grammy, wouldn't it be fabulous if he did the double and won his category as well ?
delfini (Diane)
I've now got 3 pairs
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

.......watching feathers fall from angels....

« Reply #75 on: December 31, 2010, 06:38:56 PM »

From the Daily Telegraph New Year's Honours List:

Richard Thompson. Folk Musician and Songwriter. For services to Music.

Great news indeed - we are not allowed much good news by the media, so we should make the most of it.

Seconded........well done RT.

and all I really know is that kindness is better than any sort of terror, any kind of spite (Martyn Joseph)
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #76 on: December 31, 2010, 06:48:16 PM »

Excellent news! First John Martyn and now Richard Thompson - seems the awards committee are getting their acts together.  Smiley

Congratulations Mr T  Smiley

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #77 on: December 31, 2010, 07:27:27 PM »

bread and circuses

The Dude abides
H (Heather Smith)
Protecting her modesty with mackerel

Loc: Derbyshire

« Reply #78 on: December 31, 2010, 07:28:30 PM »

Congratulations that man.

There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #79 on: December 31, 2010, 07:44:59 PM »

Did I miss something?!!

Indeed. I would, perhaps pedantically, point out that 'being covered by' is different from 'writing lyrics [and/or music] for'. It just annoys me when journalists don't do their research - it wouldn't have taken too much digging to get it right.

Although technically correct, I think this probably refers to a couple of under-publicised court cases from the mid-eighties. Around the time that Led Zep were being pulled up for 'borrowing' certain lyrics (the most famous being either the lemon-squeezing reference or Howlin' Wolf's You need love refrain) the blanket case also threw up a few other examples - one of which was the blatant cut & pasting of certain RT lyrics into The Battle of Evermore. At the time there was an attempted defence that Sandy Denny had simply unconciously repeated a few phrases from unfinished Fairport demos, but the case was settled out of court for an undisclosed sum. This is also the reason they never used another outside singer again, for fear they would be landed in the same position vis a vis legal fees.
Similarly, passages from Henry The Human Fly's The Angels Took My Racehorse Away turned up in Elvis Costello's The Angels Want To Wear My Red Shoes and the case was quietly settled without recourse to m'learned friends, one of the conditions being that Costello record a number of RT songs in order to provide a secondary stream of income from the subsequent publishing rights.
 It is no coincidence that shortly after these two settlements were reached Thompson was able to afford to move to California. In a similar vein, should Simon Nicol ever become enobled, there will probably be some reference to him writing songs for Tom Robinson, after segments of M1 Breakdown (from the eponymous first album) were used in 2-4-6-8 Motorway.
 It's all there on Wikipedia, so lazy, but not necessarily innaccurate reporting! I blame the sub-editor.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: