TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 11, 2024, 05:01:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do You Think that RT Made Fairport "Good"?  (Read 12516 times)
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2007, 10:09:00 PM »

I think he was there during a magical time when things were new. Everone was fresh faced and trying new things. RT added a voice or style to FC. But others have added their style as well. It is like a conversation. He was there at the beginning, but we are still talking. Without him, the talking still happens. He was just there adding his uniqueness at the magical beginning.

Congratulations on one of the finest, most articulate posts I have ever read on this board!!

The fans and Fairport having a 40 year convesation with folks stepping in and out, adding their opinions and moving on..

Fantastic  Grin

Jackdaw
PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2007, 10:25:51 AM »

Has any other band been blessed with so many genuinely influential figures? I doubt it. Ashley, Sandy, RT, Swarb, Iain Matthews, Mattacks, all made a huge impact on the music scene in their own ways.

Having said that, there's no doubt that whenever RT plays with them the whole thing goes up a gear.
Paul
I've Got A Bike
Global Moderator

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2007, 10:50:56 AM »

Do you think that Fairport made RT good?

It must have helped his playing ability and songwriting to have spent his formative years with an excellent rythm guitarist, bass player, drummer, singer and fiddle player.

Paul

PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2007, 11:00:38 AM »

Do you think that Fairport made RT good?

It must have helped his playing ability and songwriting to have spent his formative years with an excellent rythm guitarist, bass player, drummer, singer and fiddle player.

Paul

Good point, Paul. We are all only as good as the team we play in. Fairport have had some magical combinations of musicians over the years. Currently manifested in the wonderful interplay between two wonderful violin players of contrasting style.
PL (Peter)
able to create swamp magic

Loc: SW Germany

If it`s Wednesday, you survived Tuesday.

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2007, 01:48:12 PM »

Good point, Paul. We are all only as good as the team we play in. Fairport have had some magical combinations of musicians over the years. Currently manifested in the wonderful interplay between two wonderful violin players of contrasting style.

Agree wholeheartedly, not to forget the ( already stated somewhere in this thread) grossly underrated part of Simon Nicol.
But anyway, the current line-up is a cracking team and as a band more than the sum of the individuals.

Peter
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2007, 09:03:30 AM »

Agree wholeheartedly, not to forget the ( already stated somewhere in this thread) grossly underrated part of Simon Nicol.

Here here. These days I find myself, whenever listening to Fairport (with the obvious exceptions) very much focussing on Simon's guitar playing. It is completely inspired & inspiring to me. It's beauty is it's subtlety. It does not call attention to itself but if you took it away from any on the recordings they just wouldn't be the same. In some cases they may even fall apart.
Paul
I've Got A Bike
Global Moderator

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2007, 10:02:01 AM »

But anyway, the current line-up is a cracking team and as a band more than the sum of the individuals.

Peter

Very true. That's why I mentioned rhythm guitarist in my list. Pity he doesn't write more as well.

Paul

Mindwarper
Embrace your inner geeky prog freak
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: S.F. Ca. USA

Friendly Drunkard

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2007, 06:35:13 PM »

I think he was there during a magical time when things were new. Everone was fresh faced and trying new things. RT added a voice or style to FC. But others have added their style as well. It is like a conversation. He was there at the beginning, but we are still talking. Without him, the talking still happens. He was just there adding his uniqueness at the magical beginning.

Congratulations on one of the finest, most articulate posts I have ever read on this board!!

The fans and Fairport having a 40 year convesation with folks stepping in and out, adding their opinions and moving on..

Fantastic  Grin

Jackdaw

Why thank you. May we continue our conversation with FC for many more years.

Stop the violens, Visualise whirled peas
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: