TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 03, 2024, 08:58:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lyke Wake Dirge  (Read 5477 times)
Mr Cat (Lewis)
Probably bad form to quote yourself
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Vancouver, BC Canada

« on: February 08, 2006, 01:41:30 AM »

In my current Al Stewart phase, I came across this track, purportedly by Al and Fairport.  Its on an "unofficial" CD so info is a little scarce!  Difficult to tell which line up of FC (if it is).  Anyone have any info?  Google searches all lead to the Pentangle version.

Cheers

Thank Drunk I'm God
Harriet

Loc: Medway

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2006, 10:07:38 AM »

Having just read Al Stewarts biography by Neville Judd this track in mentioned as being recorded by Al around 1966 and the time of The Elf"  Around this time Jimmy Page was doing some session work (and appears on tracks from that era) and also around that time Fairport were asked by Al Stewart to appear on his Love Chronicles album. To quote from the book:  "It was through Roy Guest's relationship with Joe Boyd that Al first met up with Fairport Convention.  Al and Roy had decided that the new album needed a folk rock band to back Al and Fairport were the obvious choice" (Al Stewart, The true life adventures of a folk rock troubadour by Neville Judd)  Hope that helps, the Fairport musicians involved were: Ashley, Richard (Marvyn Prestwick), Simon (Simon Breckenridge) and Martin (Martin Francis).  Incidentally the Robin Lamble playing bass for Al Stewart is Martin's brother.
Mr Cat (Lewis)
Probably bad form to quote yourself
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Vancouver, BC Canada

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2006, 05:30:19 PM »

Ok, my UK sources advise that it was recorded during the Orange sessions (1972 or so) and features Rick Wakeman too, which accoutns for the piano playing.  Doesn't help identify who from FC is present, if anyone.  Drumming doesn't sound like DM, but there is a female voice, so that confuses things..

Thank Drunk I'm God
Speleologist (Robin)
racing in gales

Loc: Gibraltar or Spain

I'd rather be sailing

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2006, 07:21:41 PM »

If it was during the Orange sessions, then it was almost certainly members of Quiver and/or Brinsley Schwartz

Full personnel for the orange sessions according to Goeff Arnold's discography is

Al Stewart : vocal, guitars
          Tim Renwick : electric guitar; Spanish guitar on "Songs out of Clay"
         Cal Bachelor : Spanish guitar on "Songs out of Clay"
           Tim Walker : Spanish guitar on "The News from Spain"
     Brinsley Schwarz : 12-string guitar
         Rick Wakeman : piano, organ
          Bob Andrews : organ on "Night of the 4th of May"
         Bruce Thomas : bass
         Brian Odgers : bass
          John Wilson : drums
           Roger Pope : drums
          Graham Hunt : drums
         John Donelly : backing vocals on "Amsterdam"
          Mick Welton : backing vocals on "Amsterdam"
         Kevin Powers : backing vocals on "Amsterdam"

He also refers to a Melody Maker article of 18th December 1971 which mentions the Lyke Wake Dirge.

Have a look at http://www.things.org/music/al_stewart/discography.html

Incidentally The Young Tradition did a fine version of it, and Bill Cowley, founder of the Lyke Wake Walk quotes it in his 1959 book qoutes a version that he got from one Richard Blakeborough, presumably from his book: Wit, Character, Folklore, and Customs of the North Riding of Yorkshire, Henry Frowde: London, 1898

"Posthabui tamen illorum mea seria ludo"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: