TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 03, 2024, 09:12:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fairport's Tribute To The King  (Read 5469 times)
forever young

keep on rocking

« on: December 26, 2005, 10:53:31 PM »

Hi all of you !
after having bought a Christmas present for my elder brother, a DVD by SCOTTY MOORE & FRIENDS (Elvis' original guitarist in the 50's) I went through the tracks before finally handing it over to my brother. Steve Gibbons is credited on the label to sing 4 songs, so it seemed to be quite interesting for me. On track 4 Mr. Gibbons sings Heartbreak hotel accompanied by Ron Wood. Fine ! Other fine readings of classic Elvis songs follow. Comes track 10, and it is announced as "Don't be cruel performed by Steve Gibbons & Fairport Convention plus Chris Stainton". I was very nervous  now. Mentioning Fairport was a little bit exxagerating but Peggy played some fine fnotes on this classic and Simon Nicol was unfortunately a bit down in the mix. I listened to the following recordings, by the way being done at Abbey Roads in december 2004. Track 20 was announced as Jailhouse Rock by Steve Gibbons. Well done Steve, but no Fairports this time. Any way Mr. Gibbons can do  Elvis almost as good as the Zimmermann. Big surprise is track 22, not one of the famous Elvis songs: Steve Gibbons singing I don't care if the sun don't shine, accompanied by Pegg and Nicol, and Simon doing a solo on his acoustic guitar. Unbelievable !
This DVD really gave me a shiver. It also inclucdes an interview with Scotty Moore and a few comments by the people involved, inc. Steve Gibbons. Check out my review of this outing on www.foreveryoung-germany.de  (in English as well)
forever young

keep on rocking

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2005, 11:16:51 PM »

Nobody interested in the topic ? I'm quite disappointed. A really great project and two Fairporters plus Steve Gibbons involved.
Staffan
Swedes stun easily
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Skärhamn, Sweden

"Always look on the bright side of life..."

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2005, 04:04:03 PM »

I got so interested that I ordered the DVD from my webshop. It´s in the post and I can´t wait to see Peggy and Simon in this setting. Musicwise it sort of closes a musical circle since Elvis was my first popular music discovery on the radio in the 50`s Grin
Staffan

" -Just a roll, just a roll..."

" -I was 16 now and full of life..."
Full House Eyes

Loc: Las Vegas NV via Baltimore, MD USA

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2006, 06:07:28 AM »

Nobody interested in the topic ? I'm quite disappointed. A really great project and two Fairporters plus Steve Gibbons involved.
Actually a great read and indeed interesting. 
Nice web-site, too, BTW.   Cool

Jack O'Diamonds
Dirty Linen
Walk Awhile
Red And Gold
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: