TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 04, 2024, 12:49:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ian Matthews DVD Live in London 1984  (Read 9233 times)
NeilMcLaughlin

Loc: Ohio

« on: November 26, 2005, 12:31:23 AM »

Just noticed this DVD on Amazon and wondered if anyone here has it and if so what they think of it,
as I'll probably put it on my Cmas wishlist, and most likely get it afterward if I don't receive it as a gift.
Didn't know such a thing was available until just now, so figured it might be worth mentioning.

Is it too late to change the way we're bound to go?
NeilMcLaughlin

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2005, 12:34:39 PM »

Hasn't anybody ever seen this footage?  I find it hard to believe that someone on this list
doesn't already have it, or heck, maybe even remember being at this concert.

I'll have to admit that for as much as I love Fairport and things Fairport related, it has taken me
longest (comparatively speaking) to realize what a huge amount of great Iain Matthews stuff is available, but I've been really working dilligently on catching up.  I just assumed there were those amongst us that were on top of it from the get go.

NeilMcLaughlin

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005, 02:50:36 AM »

"Is this thing on?"  cue sound of crickets chirping.  Sorry, couldn't resist.

folkicons

Solderer of Fortune

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2005, 01:07:49 PM »

I think this was out on video some years ago. I've got a copy in the collection somewhere but haven't watched it for ages.

"The bride wore Black & Decker"
NeilMcLaughlin

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2005, 10:51:45 PM »

I think this was out on video some years ago. I've got a copy in the collection somewhere but haven't watched it for ages.

Well, did you like it when you did watch it?  Do you remember who is in his band?  Or were you just underwhelmed?

folkicons

Solderer of Fortune

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2005, 08:56:11 AM »

Here are the details from the video back cover. The video was entitled "London Revisited". Bit of a mixture as I remember and not as good as the "Compass & Chart" video.

[attachment deleted by admin]

"The bride wore Black & Decker"
NeilMcLaughlin

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2005, 10:43:27 AM »

thanks for the info, folkicons.  Definitely not some of the songs I'm most familiar with, but since I don't have the Compass and Charts video and haven't seen IM  live, I'd probably still enjoy this. Thanks for taking time to scan the back.  Very good way to show exactly what I'd see if I came across this item in a store (which is highly unlikely, I'm finding even IM CDs more difficult to find in the stores I frequent).

Anyone else have any opinions of this material?

NeilMcLaughlin

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2005, 03:59:02 PM »

I did receive this one for a Christmas gift. 

I will have to say that it is not some of Mr. Matthews' finest material, and has much of the 80's pop/rock feel that really makes it seem dated.  I am much more into his 70's output, most of which seems fresher/more vital to me, or more recent material than the chunk of work this DVD centers on.  Does anyone know if the Compass and Chart video mentioned in this thread is still available?

I've recently been playing some of his early post-Fairport output for my wife to listen to, and I've come to the conclusion that his more country-tinged and harmony-based vocal work are what he excells at.  The video that I began this thread about doesn't show what I'm most interested in.

Pat Helms
Long live Freewheelin' Franklin!!

Loc: E. TENNESSEE

Often wrong.....never in doubt

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2005, 03:08:45 PM »

"Is this thing on?"  cue sound of crickets chirping.  Sorry, couldn't resist.

"Went upon the Ledge - didn't find a soul around." Wink
Full House Eyes

Loc: Las Vegas NV via Baltimore, MD USA

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2006, 06:16:44 AM »

I did receive this one for a Christmas gift. 

I will have to say that it is not some of Mr. Matthews' finest material, and has much of the 80's pop/rock feel that really makes it seem dated.  I am much more into his 70's output, most of which seems fresher/more vital to me, or more recent material than the chunk of work this DVD centers on.  Does anyone know if the Compass and Chart video mentioned in this thread is still available?

I've recently been playing some of his early post-Fairport output for my wife to listen to, and I've come to the conclusion that his more country-tinged and harmony-based vocal work are what he excells at.  The video that I began this thread about doesn't show what I'm most interested in.
I totally agree.  While I haven't been looking for his DVD's, I've been trying find Later That Same Year on CD at a reasonable price.  I own the LP and burned it onto a CD, but I played the LP  so much when it was current that there's too many scratches for my liking.   Shocked

Yes, his Southern Comfort. Plainsong and 70's Solo Country flavored materia is his best.  Was not impressed with the poppy stuff he did in the 80's. 

Jack O'Diamonds
Dirty Linen
Walk Awhile
Red And Gold
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: