TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 13, 2024, 06:09:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cropredy 2007  (Read 118157 times)
Mark
and if any one should ask me.........
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Carmarthen

« Reply #60 on: October 23, 2006, 01:22:18 PM »

....................If someone doesn't agree with me then that's up to them - it doesn't offend me.

He's right you know

Wink

"And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once. And we should call every truth false which was not accompanied by at least one laugh." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
Sandra
Landlady at Arms
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Just Glastonbury now

mines just the two pints, thanks

« Reply #61 on: October 23, 2006, 01:35:15 PM »

Well, for my halfpenneth, I have seen Led Zep and Percy live several times over the years (not that I am obsessed or anything Wink), and I last saw Percy live at Cornbury this year doing what I thought was an amazing set.

Unlike many of his contemporaries he did nearly as much of his own new stuff as he did the old Led Zep songs, and the Led Zep songs he did do were all arranged in a new (to me anyway) way.

I suppose if you want to hear a reproduction of Percy singing the old Led Zep back catalogue exactly as he did with Led Zep in their heyday then you would have been disappointed. As it was I thought it was a brilliant set that took things on to a new level. Whole Lot Of Love, was a particularly exciting example, with overtones of jazz and the middle eastern influences that both Plant (and Page) have always been interested in.

Bring him on at Cropredy 2007, I say, and to h*ll with the detractors. If you don't want to listen there is always the Brasenose.

Sandra

davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #62 on: October 23, 2006, 02:02:37 PM »

Well, for my halfpenneth, I have seen Led Zep and Percy live several times over the years (not that I am obsessed or anything Wink), and I last saw Percy live at Cornbury this year doing what I thought was an amazing set.

Unlike many of his contemporaries he did nearly as much of his own new stuff as he did the old Led Zep songs, and the Led Zep songs he did do were all arranged in a new (to me anyway) way.

I suppose if you want to hear a reproduction of Percy singing the old Led Zep back catalogue exactly as he did with Led Zep in their heyday then you would have been disappointed. As it was I thought it was a brilliant set that took things on to a new level. Whole Lot Of Love, was a particularly exciting example, with overtones of jazz and the middle eastern influences that both Plant (and Page) have always been interested in.

Bring him on at Cropredy 2007, I say, and to h*ll with the detractors. If you don't want to listen there is always the Brasenose.

Sandra

The reason Page & Plant were so interesting, and the reason Percy is still worth seeing live today, is because he WON'T do the Led Zep stuff in the same way they used to.  Page is a much more conventional musician...just look at his collaborations with Black Crowes and David Coverdale to see that..it was Percy who has always pushed for new ways of doing things, new collaborations, new instrumentations and so on.  That may well be partly because one's voice does change, unlike the guitar for instance, but whatever the reason Plant is the one that keeps that music alive.  In that way I think he has a lot more in common with the 60's West Coast bands he loves so much, than a lot of people recognise. 

JPJ has also been an innovator of course, but he prefers to do it in entirely new areas of music...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Mix (Mic)
Cowcatcher for Coocachoo
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Staffs

Once more unto the breech...

« Reply #63 on: October 23, 2006, 02:19:36 PM »

I'm building up a body of opinion so I can announce the definitive 2nd hand view of Robert Plant live.  Wink

Not wishing to offend at all!!!  But what's 2nd hand about the views of people that have seen Robert Plant live within the last 12 months, err? wouldn't that be 1st hand (or am I now entering the last stages of senility?) Huh

Mic Smiley

Work like you don't need the money
Love like you've never been hurt
Dance like nobody's watching
Big Dave
Virtual Giant
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hadfield (in the glorious High Peak of Derbyshire)

Stand us a pint guv!

« Reply #64 on: October 23, 2006, 02:22:23 PM »

Think Keith means his own 2nd hand opinion of Planty, garnered from our 1st hand opinions!  Wink Don't worry, senility not setting yet!

Live life, live love, Live for FAIRPORT!!!!!!
Keith
Mostly Harmless
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Land of the Reivers, Scotland

Trying to save himself.

« Reply #65 on: October 23, 2006, 03:41:03 PM »

I'd still be in the front row, though - just to catch a glimpse of his lovely leathery cheeks  Smiley

Already free, and soon you can pay for it...

www.underminers.org
Big Dave
Virtual Giant
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hadfield (in the glorious High Peak of Derbyshire)

Stand us a pint guv!

« Reply #66 on: October 23, 2006, 03:50:47 PM »

I'd still be in the front row, though - just to catch a glimpse of his lovely leathery cheeks  Smiley
Wink Wink Grin

Live life, live love, Live for FAIRPORT!!!!!!
Sandra
Landlady at Arms
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Just Glastonbury now

mines just the two pints, thanks

« Reply #67 on: October 23, 2006, 05:45:27 PM »

So would I to catch his, er, cheeks, of course (nothing else, you understand). Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink

Paul
I've Got A Bike
Global Moderator

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #68 on: October 23, 2006, 07:07:18 PM »

Don't suppose you'll get a chance to see them.

I would have thought that as an experienced singer he would keep his face to the audience.  Wink

Paul

Nuthouse
He wasn't born to follow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Northampton

« Reply #69 on: October 25, 2006, 12:16:20 PM »

If someone is trustworthy and relatively authoritative then, yes, I do tend to believe them. Sometimes you do have to take someone's word for things, otherwise you end up spending your whole life (and savings) trying everything out. Apart from beer, that is :*

You weren't listening to 'The guy from down the chip shop swears he's Elvis' as you wrote this were you ?

Cheesy

What isn't real is genuine illusion....
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #70 on: October 25, 2006, 11:53:19 PM »

The real title of that tune is 'There's a guy from down the chip shop swears he's Elvish' about Hobbit-run businesses.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #71 on: November 06, 2006, 10:06:09 PM »

'Bout time this thread got resurrected....

It's being reported on Longdogs that the RT Band are playing on Friday night, which may mean no second helping of early Fairport....possibly?

And apparently, Show of Hands are also playing Friday.

Neil
About to blow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Oregon

« Reply #72 on: November 06, 2006, 10:18:14 PM »

But didn't the early Fairport play as support act one year on Friday

Things change all the time, and they'll probably never be the same again. It's just the natural evolution of the human condition. Guy Clark
mikec
Anywhere close to proper english
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

I'm sorry, my daughter isn't coming out tonight.

« Reply #73 on: November 06, 2006, 10:21:51 PM »

'Bout time this thread got resurrected....

Superb news  Grin Grin Grin Grin. Do you know if its the duo or the band format Chris?

I have gone to look for myself, if I return before I get back, keep me here.
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #74 on: November 06, 2006, 10:25:53 PM »

No news on that - but I guess Miranda is very likely....

rachel

Loc: Sheffield

not a llama

« Reply #75 on: November 07, 2006, 07:38:23 AM »

If this is correct then I don't really care if they book St Winifreds School Choir for the rest of the day Wink RT Band AND Show of Hands on the same day!! Can't we book our tickets now

rachel
peterwales
a lot more rugged and a lot less "twee"
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Norfolk

Far from the Western Hills of Birth

« Reply #76 on: November 07, 2006, 10:13:02 PM »

Sandra

One of the best gigs I've been to in recent years has been Percy and band at University of East Anglia about 3 years ago- precisely because this wasn't  a Led Zepelin show, (apart from one encore number) but a set that showed an original talent, and a love for seemingly obscure but great blues-type songs. Can you imagine Mick Jagger doing gigs like this?
Mix (Mic)
Cowcatcher for Coocachoo
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Staffs

Once more unto the breech...

« Reply #77 on: November 09, 2006, 12:25:24 AM »

Show of Hands  Grin Grin   Woopeeeeeeee Grin Grin

I'm quite happy at that possibility, does it show?

Mic Grin Grin

Work like you don't need the money
Love like you've never been hurt
Dance like nobody's watching
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #78 on: November 09, 2006, 10:03:30 AM »

Sandra

One of the best gigs I've been to in recent years has been Percy and band at University of East Anglia about 3 years ago- precisely because this wasn't  a Led Zepelin show, (apart from one encore number) but a set that showed an original talent, and a love for seemingly obscure but great blues-type songs. Can you imagine Mick Jagger doing gigs like this?

This made me smile...but in a nice way  Wink  If this is the gig I think you mean (and I'm pretty sure it is the only time Percy has played at UEA in recent years), the gig took place on 14th Oct 2002.  Percy ACTUALLY played the following 5 Led Zep songs...4 Sticks, Going to California, Celebration Day, Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You and Whole Lotta Love.  The fact that you remember it NOT being a Led Zep show, to me shows just how valid Percy's reinterpretation of his own back catalogue is....  The details are on the tight but loose website http://www.tightbutloose.co.uk/tbltourwfs.html

David

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
peterwales
a lot more rugged and a lot less "twee"
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Norfolk

Far from the Western Hills of Birth

« Reply #79 on: November 10, 2006, 12:18:02 AM »

David,
I guess you are right- I think it was around 2002. But yes, it didn't feel like anything to do with Led Zep, but now I remember that, yes, he did do "Going to California" etc. What struck me was how he seemed to really enjoy this (comparitivly, to big, silly, stadiums) small college gig with his lack-of-big-names band.
As an after thought, I took my teenage daughter, aged 17, and her mates to see some heavy metal band in London the other night, and was pleasently surprised to hear how much they knew/liked about Led Zepelin and their collaboration with Sandy Denny on Led Zep 4.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: