TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 13, 2024, 06:21:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cropredy 2007  (Read 118157 times)
Cocker Freeman
Young Salt
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Maldon, Essex

« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2006, 04:07:53 PM »

That's life.

No it's not.

Keith
Mostly Harmless
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Land of the Reivers, Scotland

Trying to save himself.

« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2006, 04:17:47 PM »

It's my life

(c) Dr Alban

Already free, and soon you can pay for it...

www.underminers.org
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2006, 04:30:57 PM »

Tilston left me cold. That's life.

Percy is getting to be a bit like Dylan, off and on days. I don't see what the big deal is now - his voice is nothing like it used to be and has not gained anything with age.

Can't agree with this at all.  Firstly, he's not like Dylan or Van Morrison or the Dead in as much as he doesn't change the set every day..his sets are remarkably consistent and have been since the early days of the Priory of Brion project.  Secondly, yes, his voice has changed, but I wouldn't say for the worse.  He does different things with it these days.  Actually I'd like him to mix things up a bit more, take a few more risks, change things about a bit more...that's what I like about great performers...I guess Ryan Adams is probably the best example of that at the moment...very hit and miss, but it's well worth waiting for him on form!  And yes, I know this is a remarkably inconsistent argument!

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2006, 04:36:43 PM »

Just confirmed by RT's e-newsletter that the Richard Thompson Band is confirmed for Cropredy 2007. Not really a surprise though. Peggy's mentioned a probable couple of early-FC hours (Hi Jude!), so I guess that's all the headline slots lined up.

Umbrella, sou'wester, wellies & raincoat added to packing list...  Wink

Flobbadob!
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2006, 08:52:50 PM »

Tilston left me cold. That's life.

Percy is getting to be a bit like Dylan, off and on days. I don't see what the big deal is now - his voice is nothing like it used to be and has not gained anything with age.

Can't agree with this at all.  Firstly, he's not like Dylan or Van Morrison or the Dead in as much as he doesn't change the set every day..his sets are remarkably consistent and have been since the early days of the Priory of Brion project.  Secondly, yes, his voice has changed, but I wouldn't say for the worse.  He does different things with it these days.  Actually I'd like him to mix things up a bit more, take a few more risks, change things about a bit more...that's what I like about great performers...I guess Ryan Adams is probably the best example of that at the moment...very hit and miss, but it's well worth waiting for him on form!  And yes, I know this is a remarkably inconsistent argument!

Ryan Adams is a total maverick and probably up there with the few actual geniuses around today. His gigs have to be seen to be believed, every one totally different. To see him do a take on the Strokes and then do Like a Virgin as a slow piano blues, followed by My Sweet Carolina (surely the greatest ballad ever written by many a mile). Pure genius. Pull out the stops, get him for Crops. He might bring Gillian Welch with him!

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2006, 08:54:55 PM »

How many times, exactly, have you seen Robert Plant play live in the last twelve months, Keith?

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Nuthouse
He wasn't born to follow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Northampton

« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2006, 08:56:48 PM »

How many times, exactly, have you seen Robert Plant play live in the last twelve months, Keith?

He was on form at Cornbury I know that

What isn't real is genuine illusion....
James SftBH
Tertiary Donna
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Posh North Essex

Freedom is not just a word; it is an activity.

« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2006, 08:57:34 PM »

I've seen him and he was alright I suppose. But I preferred Robyn Hitchcock.

Always trust your cape.
www.songsfromthebluehouse.com
Mix (Mic)
Cowcatcher for Coocachoo
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Staffs

Once more unto the breech...

« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2006, 09:53:52 PM »

He was on form at Cornbury I know that

He was indeed!!   and the years have been a hell of a lot kinder to Percy than Dylan (mind you Percy started with a massive advantage) Wink

Mic

Work like you don't need the money
Love like you've never been hurt
Dance like nobody's watching
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #49 on: October 19, 2006, 10:01:28 PM »

Ryan Adams is a total maverick and probably up there with the few actual geniuses around today. His gigs have to be seen to be believed, every one totally different. To see him do a take on the Strokes and then do Like a Virgin as a slow piano blues, followed by My Sweet Carolina (surely the greatest ballad ever written by many a mile). Pure genius. Pull out the stops, get him for Crops. He might bring Gillian Welch with him!

There's a show from this recent Cardinals tour (Manchester if I remember correctly) that Ryan covers a Billy Ocean track followed by Ronnie James Dio one.  Somehow he manages to pull it off!  As I'm sure you know he also plays with Phil (Lesh) and Friends and throws in a few Grateful Dead tunes these days.  Been doing Stella Blue a lot and a Franklins Tower even found its way into the Cambridge show.  And he allows his SBDs to be downloaded for nowt.  Love him.  I just love him to bits...the most exciting performer around today.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #50 on: October 20, 2006, 07:02:07 AM »

There's a show from this recent Cardinals tour (Manchester if I remember correctly) that Ryan covers a Billy Ocean track followed by Ronnie James Dio one.  Somehow he manages to pull it off!  As I'm sure you know he also plays with Phil (Lesh) and Friends and throws in a few Grateful Dead tunes these days.  Been doing Stella Blue a lot and a Franklins Tower even found its way into the Cambridge show.  And he allows his SBDs to be downloaded for nowt.  Love him.  I just love him to bits...the most exciting performer around today.
Some of the Phil Shows can be downloaded from Phils site for free along with good quality colour sleeves. Wish more bands could do that.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #51 on: October 20, 2006, 02:15:00 PM »

He sounds pretty good on his most recent album.
Big Dave
Virtual Giant
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hadfield (in the glorious High Peak of Derbyshire)

Stand us a pint guv!

« Reply #52 on: October 20, 2006, 02:17:30 PM »

He was on fine form when I saw do a gig last December, still got it as far as I am concerned.

Live life, live love, Live for FAIRPORT!!!!!!
Keith
Mostly Harmless
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Trying to save himself.

« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2006, 12:59:55 AM »

Mr Kirk, I work with the co-founder of Tight But Loose, the definitive Led Zeppelin fan site, who has seen Zep and Percy dozens of times over the years. This is his view, and I'm not going to argue with that.

I was setting a comparison with some singers whose voices have changed but gained something over the years - Simon Nicol and Richard Thompson are good examples. But granted, not as unpredictable as Van or Dylan.

Ryan Adams would be great though. Love Is Hell is a masterpiece of our times.

www.underminers.org
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2006, 01:31:29 AM »

Mr Kirk, I work with the co-founder of Tight But Loose, the definitive Led Zeppelin fan site, who has seen Zep and Percy dozens of times over the years. This is his view, and I'm not going to argue with that.

So, none then? Imagine if we all believed everything we were told.... Roll Eyes

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Keith
Mostly Harmless
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Trying to save himself.

« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2006, 08:37:20 AM »

If someone is trustworthy and relatively authoritative then, yes, I do tend to believe them. Sometimes you do have to take someone's word for things, otherwise you end up spending your whole life (and savings) trying everything out. Apart from beer, that is :*

www.underminers.org
Nuthouse
He wasn't born to follow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Northampton

« Reply #56 on: October 23, 2006, 12:10:22 PM »

If someone is trustworthy and relatively authoritative then, yes, I do tend to believe them. Sometimes you do have to take someone's word for things, otherwise you end up spending your whole life (and savings) trying everything out. Apart from beer, that is :*

That hole that you are digging for yourself is getting bigger and bigger...

I shall take the shovel away from you before you hurt yourself with it... or is it a spade ?

What isn't real is genuine illusion....
Cocker Freeman
Young Salt
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Maldon, Essex

« Reply #57 on: October 23, 2006, 12:26:29 PM »

I'm trustworthy and relatively authoritative! There now!

Keith
Mostly Harmless
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Trying to save himself.

« Reply #58 on: October 23, 2006, 01:18:55 PM »

That hole that you are digging for yourself is getting bigger and bigger...

I shall take the shovel away from you before you hurt yourself with it... or is it a spade ?

Why so? I stand by everything I say. If someone doesn't agree with me then that's up to them - it doesn't offend me.

www.underminers.org
Keith
Mostly Harmless
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Trying to save himself.

« Reply #59 on: October 23, 2006, 01:20:23 PM »

I'm trustworthy and relatively authoritative! There now!

What do you think Cocker?

I'm building up a body of opinion so I can announce the definitive 2nd hand view of Robert Plant live.  Wink

www.underminers.org
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: