TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 02, 2024, 12:10:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Record store day 2024  (Read 1911 times)
Metro96 (Keith)
Do I look like a padre?

Loc: Adjacent to the Saddleworth villages.

My Friend there is always time for beer!

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2024, 04:11:14 PM »

Everyone knows that means "Future Sound of London" ISDN 30th anniversary. I didn't even have to google it...

Gosh. I still don't know what it is!  Grin

Jules

I've had to Google it.

ISDN is a music album by experimental electronica artists The Future Sound of London which was released in two different versions in 1994 and 1995

Pwll peint o chwerw os gwelwch yn dda.
một pint của đắng xin
ไพน์ของขมโปรด
en halvliter øl vennligst
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2024, 11:46:23 PM »

Everyone knows that means "Future Sound of London" ISDN 30th anniversary. I didn't even have to google it...

Gosh. I still don't know what it is!  Grin

Jules

I've had to Google it.

ISDN is a music album by experimental electronica artists The Future Sound of London which was released in two different versions in 1994 and 1995
Oh. How, um, exciting (not).

Not got a record player and won't be buying one. Vinyl albums were crappy, 20 minutes a side if you were lucky, wore out and were static-ridden. Digital music may not be as "warm" but as the user of two hearing aids, who gives a toss?

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2024, 09:48:45 AM »

I'm usually  sanguine about vinyl prices, including RSD  release prices.  If you're getting premium product,  and if like  me you like the medium (I can say I never have static issues, and getting up to turn the LP over was always part of the fun  Smiley Wink Cheesy) you shop around and pay what you have to or opt out.  

But today my acceptance was tested when I came across The Roches self titled  LP, among RSD  items left over.   £44.99.  Really? I asked the friendly young man  in the store if this was correct.   It was.  
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2024, 09:58:17 AM »

I'm usually  sanguine about vinyl prices, including RSD  release prices.  If you're getting premium product,  and if like  me you like the medium (I can say I never have static issues, and getting up to turn the LP over was always part of the fun  Smiley Wink Cheesy) you shop around and pay what you have to or opt out.  

But today my acceptance was tested when I came across The Roches self titled  LP, among RSD  items left over.   £44.99.  Really? I asked the friendly young man  in the store if this was correct.   It was.  

But that's the precise problem, because a large percentage of modern pressings are utter ****e Wink

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2024, 10:16:44 AM »

But that's the precise problem, because a large percentage of modern pressings are utter ****e Wink

Well I'm very fussy David,  but id say around one in five or 6 LPs i buy has some sort of pressing issue.  Is this a large percentage?   As with mastering, I try to find out about pressing before purchasing.  I just opened my reissue of Melanie :  Stoneground Words last night.   The pressing is okay but there's something seriously odd about the mastering at some points.  I have to decide whether I can live with it or not. I understand that the CD takeover of 30+ years ago lured many people away from buying LPs.   But when it's right, vinyl repro is breathtaking, certainly on my Tt.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2024, 10:33:12 AM »

Well I'm very fussy David,  but id say around one in five or 6 LPs i buy has some sort of pressing issue.  Is this a large percentage?   As with mastering, I try to find out about pressing before purchasing.  I just opened my reissue of Melanie :  Stoneground Words last night.   The pressing is okay but there's something seriously odd about the mastering at some points.  I have to decide whether I can live with it or not. I understand that the CD takeover of 30+ years ago lured many people away from buying LPs.   But when it's right, vinyl repro is breathtaking, certainly on my Tt.

If that figure is representative (who knows, but it feels more than that to me) then in what other marketplace would 20% flawed product be acceptable?  Nobody seems to understand records any more.  Coloured vinyl - looks nice, sounds pants and doesn't last.  Warping is a huge issue, as is storage of sealed records leading to this warping.  Vinyl shoved between cardboard booklets and/or sleeves is another major issue.  Quality control is uniformly poor all over the industry...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2024, 11:14:23 AM »

Can't we talk about something more interesting like cabbage stalks or toilet roll holders?Listen to the music or you should be on the Top Gear website!

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2024, 12:14:27 PM »

This thread's getting more than its fair quota of bitchiness. If you don't enjoy what's being written in a certain thread, then others are available. Works for me.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2024, 12:59:04 PM »

This thread's getting more than its fair quota of bitchiness. If you don't enjoy what's being written in a certain thread, then others are available. Works for me.

Jules
Now Now you can't expect a lot of very old people, set in their ways, to change just like that.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2024, 01:27:42 PM »

Can't we talk about something more interesting like cabbage stalks or toilet roll holders?Listen to the music or you should be on the Top Gear website!

I'm an audiophile and can take a hint.  Cheesy

I shall continue the discussion by private message.

Who is bitchy btw?
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2024, 02:10:48 PM »

Who is bitchy btw?

Your mileage may vary, and I'm certainly not going to point fingers.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2024, 02:16:18 PM »

Who is bitchy btw?

Your mileage may vary, and I'm certainly not going to point fingers.

Jules

Reading through the thread think I get what you mean.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: