TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 08, 2024, 12:10:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fairport t-shirt reactions  (Read 14135 times)
Paul
I've Got A Bike
Global Moderator

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2013, 10:54:36 PM »

I used to teach in a secondary school. Every non-uniform day I would wear a Fairport Convention t-shirt. My HoD ran a charity competition, with a prize for any student who could identify the band. Sadly, nobody ever won it. Ironically, now I teach in an FE college, loads of students have heard of Fairport Convention, but we don't have non-uniform days.

Slightly off topic. I once went to buy a mandolin in a local music store wearing an Iron Maiden t-shirt. The salesman said he didn't realise Iron Maiden fans could play the mandolin.

Paul

hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2013, 12:33:39 AM »

I used to teach in a secondary school. Every non-uniform day I would wear a Fairport Convention t-shirt. My HoD ran a charity competition, with a prize for any student who could identify the band. Sadly, nobody ever won it.

Paul,slightly off topic but  82 I was head of  5th Year in a secondary school.
I  wanted to make a real point about drug use.
I got David Kossof to come and do his one man show about the death of his son Paul (soz for teaching my granny) The 'show' was incredibly powerful.
I found I had to do an assembly weeks before he arrived explaining who Paul Kossof was.
I had seen Free prob 10 yrs before, it seemed very recent.
At the end of the yr one of the girls who was leaving school and who I had worried about going seriously off the rails, came and saw me.She gave me a copy of Back Street Crawler signed by some of the harder kids in the yr. Kids I had really worked on. Lots of thank you's.
 Still got that album and cover.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2013, 08:48:48 AM »

I used to teach in a secondary school. Every non-uniform day I would wear a Fairport Convention t-shirt. My HoD ran a charity competition, with a prize for any student who could identify the band. Sadly, nobody ever won it.

I got David Kossof to come and do his one man show about the death of his son Paul (soz for teaching my granny) The 'show' was incredibly powerful.
I found I had to do an assembly weeks before he arrived explaining who Paul Kossof was.
At the end of the yr one of the girls who was leaving school and who I had worried about going seriously off the rails, came and saw me.She gave me a copy of Back Street Crawler signed by some of the harder kids in the yr. Kids I had really worked on. Lots of thank you's.

That's a nice story  Smiley  I was in the fifth year in '82-3 and David did the show at my school.  It was, as you say, very powerful stuff.  But as a 15 year old, stuff that happened 6 and more years before seemed liked ancient history!

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2013, 08:07:22 PM »

That's a nice story  Smiley  I was in the fifth year in '82-3 and David did the show at my school.  It was, as you say, very powerful stuff.  But as a 15 year old, stuff that happened 6 and more years before seemed liked ancient history!

That , sadly, makes you a lot younger than me!
At a recent fairport gig, i met  4 people in their mid 30's i used to teach but they were there cos i'd gone on about Liege and lief in english lessons almost 25 yrs ago!
They expected me to be there.
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2013, 02:33:34 PM »

Currently on holiday in Barbados.
I wore a Cropredy shirt to breakfast and within 5 minutes we were talking to a couple of  Cropredy regulars from Banbury.

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
Ian W

« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2013, 11:04:59 PM »

When  was living and working in Greece a few years ago, I had a lot of conversations started by my band t-shirts.
At least three bars had downloaded Fairport and RT albums because of the memories the expat old hippies had jolted.
Mythos, retsina and a freshly caught fish lunch taste great with What We Did On Our Holidays in the background.

I also performed a few classics with a friend who played in one of the live music bars.
Joss

Loc: Castle Cary, Somerset

« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2013, 05:07:25 PM »

A customer visiting the Kent Family History Fair in Maidstone on Sunday was wearing a Cropredy T-shirt and admitted to being a regular!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: