TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 06, 2024, 09:43:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Swarb selling his poster...  (Read 8480 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« on: June 23, 2007, 08:06:47 AM »

http://tinyurl.com/2l5pwl

ps I DON'T know the story...anyone know what it is?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Dad Volt
Disturber of the Peace
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Preston Lancs

Same as before!

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2007, 09:56:14 AM »

Is this a poster for the rescheduled gig in Shrewsbury after the previous one finished prematurely due to the on stage punch up between Swarb & another band member (? Peggy)

Happy mainly.
Big Dave
Virtual Giant
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hadfield (in the glorious High Peak of Derbyshire)

Stand us a pint guv!

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2007, 10:12:58 AM »

Is this a poster for the rescheduled gig in Shrewsbury after the previous one finished prematurely due to the on stage punch up between Swarb & another band member (? Peggy)

Is that the one where Swarb kept "poking" peggy in the eye with his bow, so Peggy bashed Swarb with the bass?  Rumour mill in full flow?  Wasn't there so picking up on a story I heard.

Live life, live love, Live for FAIRPORT!!!!!!
Dad Volt
Disturber of the Peace
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Preston Lancs

Same as before!

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2007, 10:14:19 AM »

Have seen it written down somewhere but for the life of me can't remember where  Roll Eyes

Happy mainly.
fat Billy(Bill)
Babycham Bill
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: deepest suffolk

may decay in direct sunlight

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2007, 10:16:59 AM »

Ee look s well dunnee that Swarb bloke  Grin
Big Dave
Virtual Giant
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hadfield (in the glorious High Peak of Derbyshire)

Stand us a pint guv!

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2007, 10:28:04 AM »

Ee look s well dunnee that Swarb bloke  Grin

I thought that as well, I was going to comment but wasn't sure if it was a recent photo or not.  Fair play fiddlemeister!

Live life, live love, Live for FAIRPORT!!!!!!
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2007, 01:47:59 PM »

Have seen it written down somewhere but for the life of me can't remember where  Roll Eyes

I think it is in one of the books accompanying a CD set, but can't remember which.
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2007, 02:03:16 PM »

I think it is in one of the books accompanying a CD set, but can't remember which.

It's in here somewhere

http://www.fairportconvention.com/dave_pegg_history.php

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2007, 02:23:36 PM »

That's it Ollie...

The four-piece (me, Swarb, Simon and Bruce) were booked to play in Shrewsbury, the Music Hall. We set up the gear, did the soundcheck then buggered off down the pub about six o'clock. Ronnie Laine was a mate of Bruce's and he joined us.

Well, we were having a real laugh, we were all drinking, and I'd had a good few pints. Swarb had had lots, certainly as many as me. But he's never been a great drinker. Still, he was having a great time, we all were. Well, we left the pub, everyone was happy; I was happy; Swarb was incredibly happy. In fact, he was so happy he couldn't stand up.

Anyway, we got back to the venue, got Swarb on stage. The opening number we chose was Dirty Linen. It's quite hard on the bass and I wanted to get it out of the way first because after two hours I wouldn't have stood a chance.

As soon as we started Swarb kept leaning on me, he could barely stand up. He was having a great time but I couldn't play with him on my arm. Then he hit me in the eye with his bow. Twice. It bloody hurt, it really did. The third time he caught me in the eye I just saw red, and I smacked him over the head with the bass.

I must have hit the poor sod much harder than I thought because it broke the bass! Honestly, the neck came away. It floored him, he was unconscious. I thought 'Oh God, I've killed Swarb!'. It freaked me right out, I just ran out, got in a taxi and came home. A cab from Shrewsbury all the way back to Cropredy.

I felt dreadful, just terrible. I was thinking it would be on the news any minute: 'Rock star killed by mad bass player'. I tried to phone the gig: I was expecting a call any minute saying he was dead.But as soon as I'd legged it Swarb had come round. He was OK, though obviously it had been the end of the show. Later, Swarb and I apologised to one another, there was no bad blood.

Luckily, the promoter had a real sense of humour. He booked us for a return gig and he produced this great poster, a pastiche of a boxing or wrestling poster: 'Fairport Convention - Seconds Out: Round Two'. The audience came back – well you would, wouldn't you? They probably wanted to see who'd attack whom.

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2007, 02:25:24 PM »

Great story - thanks!

Yes, he does look great doesn't he...lost a lot of his puppy fat  Smiley

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Bob Barrows
Give me time ... it will wear on me
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Auburn, MA USA

Bob

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2007, 04:56:08 PM »

No bids yet  Shocked

It's out of my price range unfortunately.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: