TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 10, 2024, 06:08:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cropredy 06 bands announced  (Read 133649 times)
Nuthouse
He wasn't born to follow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Northampton

« Reply #60 on: October 19, 2005, 12:52:06 PM »

i'll keep my ill judged comments under my fez in furture.

Jones The Steam....one thing you will see (if you haven't seen it already) is that you can ask any question you like and if there is an answer ... then someone is bound to provide it. Obviously, there are some topics that have their answer elsewhere .... if it is a matter of opinion, then as you would anywhere else, try not to tweak noses (too hard) when expressing them

Ill judged ? - I dunno, mate..... maybe being a bit harsh on yourself there. Don't go hiding under that Fez now !

As for Cropredy 2006 - I would love a bit of Country on Friday or Saturday afternoon - lovely bit of bluegrass with high-octane banjo playing... fantastic..... wonder what the Old Crow Medicine Show are doing next August ?

What isn't real is genuine illusion....
Keith
Mostly Harmless
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Land of the Reivers, Scotland

Trying to save himself.

« Reply #61 on: October 19, 2005, 02:02:39 PM »

and on booking policies it is well known that bands have only been booked if Peggy has seen them himself

Although last year Peggy didn't choose the bands at all. It was done by Simon, Rob and Gareth.

Already free, and soon you can pay for it...

www.underminers.org
jones the steam
ahh huhn da hurm, hurnn nna nuh fnurd

half an idiot

« Reply #62 on: October 19, 2005, 03:08:42 PM »

Ill judged ? - I dunno, mate..... maybe being a bit harsh on yourself there. Don't go hiding under that Fez now !

As for Cropredy 2006 - I would love a bit of Country on Friday or Saturday afternoon - lovely bit of bluegrass with high-octane banjo playing... fantastic..... wonder what the Old Crow Medicine Show are doing next August ?

cheers mate, and like the idea of country afternoon too, thought it was a little too rock this time round, so if they're going to be branching out something sit-down-to-able would be more than welcome of a sunny day.
not that bluegrass is mellow i know, but less rock covers bands i think.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2005, 09:53:43 PM by Nuthouse » Logged

sorry colin, what's my password again..?
( please update regularly to kllrndy@yahoo.co.uk )
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #63 on: October 19, 2005, 03:12:12 PM »

Although last year Peggy didn't choose the bands at all. It was done by Simon, Rob and Gareth.

Although this is incorrect - all four, including Peggy had equal input, I understand. Joint decisions.

Keith
Mostly Harmless
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Land of the Reivers, Scotland

Trying to save himself.

« Reply #64 on: October 19, 2005, 03:19:33 PM »

Although this is incorrect - all four, including Peggy had equal input, I understand. Joint decisions.

Not according to Peggy himself on internet Folk Radio (not sure of the exact name). He said (to paraphrase) "this year they were chosen by committee...I wasn't particularly involved"

Already free, and soon you can pay for it...

www.underminers.org
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #65 on: October 19, 2005, 03:51:09 PM »

Apologies - I was unaware of that quote.

But all four are certainly booking in years to come....

Steve
Max Headroom
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Sussex

« Reply #66 on: October 20, 2005, 08:50:42 AM »

So Peggy didn't have much to do with this years Cropredy, but he will be involved in future?

Will he also be playing with the band? Have they let him back in after the fiasco in America?
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #67 on: October 20, 2005, 08:53:30 AM »

He's currently still on sabbatical. He's doing well, and guesting with Bob Fox tomorrow at the Mill in Banbury. Come & say 'hi'....

David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #68 on: October 20, 2005, 09:13:20 AM »

Getting back on thread here any ideas as to who may headline the Friday night?

We can assume it won't be RT but as Jerry D is now playing with the Yardbirds doesanyone think they would be a suitable act, either as a headliner or at some stage during the weekend.

I think we may get another one-time chart act for Friday though, someone like Marillion, who should have played cropredy by now, also it looks as if the Proclaimers are having a bit of a resurgence at festivals lately.

Jackdaw
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #69 on: October 20, 2005, 09:19:00 AM »

We can assume it won't be RT but as Jerry D is now playing with the Yardbirds doesanyone think they would be a suitable act, either as a headliner or at some stage during the weekend.

I don't think the Yardbirds are a big enough 'sell' to headline, but they are certainly suitable for the R'nB 'Hamsters' slot....

I think we may get another one-time chart act for Friday though, someone like Marillion, who should have played cropredy by now, also it looks as if the Proclaimers are having a bit of a resurgence at festivals lately.

Personally, it'll be an early night for me if either of those get a headline spot. Not keen on the Procs, never have been, and Marillion are well past their best. I also susapect that they're too mainline 'rock' for a Cropredy Headliner.

Cocker Freeman
Young Salt
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Maldon, Essex

« Reply #70 on: October 20, 2005, 09:25:54 AM »

I think the Proclaimers would be rather good.  Grin

Big Dave
Virtual Giant
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hadfield (in the glorious High Peak of Derbyshire)

Stand us a pint guv!

« Reply #71 on: October 20, 2005, 09:30:00 AM »

Y'know Cocker, you may just have a point there!

Live life, live love, Live for FAIRPORT!!!!!!
Mix (Mic)
Cowcatcher for Coocachoo
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Staffs

Once more unto the breech...

« Reply #72 on: October 20, 2005, 09:31:56 AM »

The Proclaimers!!!!! Great idea Grin
I'd really love to see them at Cropredy Smiley

Mic

Work like you don't need the money
Love like you've never been hurt
Dance like nobody's watching
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #73 on: October 20, 2005, 09:32:41 AM »

Oh, I didn't say that they shouldn't be booked, just that they're not my cup of tea.

That's what makes discussing music interesting....everyone's tastes are different! Long may that last!

David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #74 on: October 20, 2005, 09:36:58 AM »

I would think though that any suggestions / discussions about headline bands here may well be irrelevent, as Thursday isnow signed and sealed it seems likely that contracts are being made for the rest of the weekend as we type.

Still, its fun talking about it anyway.

Jackdaw
Mix (Mic)
Cowcatcher for Coocachoo
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Staffs

Once more unto the breech...

« Reply #75 on: October 20, 2005, 09:37:32 AM »

I'd also like to see Runrig or Capercaille Grin

Oysterband would hit the spot too Grin  2004 seems like a long time ago now Wink

Mic

Work like you don't need the money
Love like you've never been hurt
Dance like nobody's watching
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #76 on: October 20, 2005, 09:39:37 AM »

Capercaille... wonderful!!!!

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Taliesin

Loc: Burton-Upon-Trent

Druid of Bass, with a Folk, blues & Metal leant.

« Reply #77 on: October 20, 2005, 09:44:15 AM »

I don't think the Yardbirds are a big enough 'sell' to headline, but they are certainly suitable for the R'nB 'Hamsters' slot....

Personally, it'll be an early night for me if either of those get a headline spot. Not keen on the Procs, never have been, and Marillion are well past their best. I also susapect that they're too mainline 'rock' for a Cropredy Headliner.

Well back in the 60's the Yardbirds were big enough to headline & especially with Donnahue at a Fairport Fanatic filled Cropredy of aging Hippies, of course the Yardbirds are big enough.

The Dragons stir below for the old Gods awaken from their long slumber

http://www.freewebs.com/branstones/
Big Dave
Virtual Giant
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hadfield (in the glorious High Peak of Derbyshire)

Stand us a pint guv!

« Reply #78 on: October 20, 2005, 09:48:30 AM »

Oh, I didn't say that they shouldn't be booked, just that they're not my cup of tea.

That's what makes discussing music interesting....everyone's tastes are different! Long may that last!

100% Agree with you Chris, the greater the differences in taste the more chance we have to learn and explore new things!

Live life, live love, Live for FAIRPORT!!!!!!
barryanorak (Julian)

Loc: Thurgoland - no, really

The sun is a lightbulb, my fridge is a cow

« Reply #79 on: October 20, 2005, 10:12:15 AM »

Prejudice or experience?

Marillion are not the band that many people remember - and certainly not a one-hit wonder - they charted 2 singles last year (not that that's necessarily anything to shout about these days)

It's amazing how many Marillion T-shirts are around the field in Cropredy - to my ears they are a band that has gone from strength to strength in recent years and, if it weren't for that bl***y Kayleigh song, would be much higher profile than they currently enjoy.

They also have more than enough talent to 'do the Cropredy thing'.  A recent acoustic tour of the States springs to mind -

Make my vote for Los Trios Marilliones for '06

Chris says - Only formatting tidied up
« Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 10:23:10 AM by Chris » Logged

You have to be happy with what you have to be happy with
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: