TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 13, 2024, 05:12:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 24   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cropredy 2014  (Read 206565 times)
greglin (Gregg)
Waving my cheery plumber off
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Carrickfergus N. Ireland

Slainthe chugat

« Reply #400 on: September 13, 2013, 11:15:28 AM »

Good call - Deacon Blue are playing Belfast next week.

Great band live.

Great songs.

Would work for me.

I caught a falling star, it cut my hands to pieces.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #401 on: September 13, 2013, 12:11:46 PM »

Good call - Deacon Blue are playing Belfast next week.

Great band live.

Great songs.

Would work for me.
Hope you can go along Gregg - I saw them last night and they were great. Real feel-good music and a fantastic atmosphere Smiley

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Martin F

Loc: Bicester

« Reply #402 on: September 13, 2013, 02:30:16 PM »

Deacon Blue

And they're not a tribute band  Roll Eyes they're not cashing in or playing for oiyks at Butlins. They write their own stuff apart from the odd Bacharach or Beatles cover. They're still making records. Nearly all of the original band members are there.

I can already hear the Cropredy crowd singing along to Dignity...  Cheesy  

Real Gone Kid too - daaah-dah-dah-dah-dah dah WOOO-OOO,WOOO-OOO,WOO-OOO.Just like I did at Glasto sometime in the last century.Class band.

Why not get the "Real Gone Kid" herself?

Do androids dream of electric sheep?
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #403 on: September 13, 2013, 02:35:15 PM »

I had to google that.  I didn't know it was about Maria McKee.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Mr Cat (Lewis)
Probably bad form to quote yourself
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Vancouver, BC Canada

« Reply #404 on: September 13, 2013, 05:16:02 PM »

Jules

Maria McKee performing all of "Life is Sweet" with the original band..might persuade me to make the multi $1000 trip next August.

Thank Drunk I'm God
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #405 on: September 13, 2013, 05:39:03 PM »

I'm sure I remember Sweet,Sweet Baby being played over the p.a at one of my first Cropredy fests.Her voice certainly sounds good in that field.

Well I never did..
Martin F

Loc: Bicester

« Reply #406 on: September 13, 2013, 07:11:45 PM »

I seem to remember a Lone Justice song being played one year.

Do androids dream of electric sheep?
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #407 on: September 13, 2013, 07:50:47 PM »

Jules

Maria McKee performing all of "Life is Sweet" with the original band..might persuade me to make the multi $1000 trip next August.

It would probably get me there too (unless they were doing the same thing somewhere else anyway).

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
fal de diddle

Loc: Derby

« Reply #408 on: September 14, 2013, 01:08:35 PM »

Check out Ferry doing Dylan - brilliant
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5x2kKRI2V4

Awful isn't it?   Does he listen to the lyrics and understand them, before committing that sound to disc?  

Hard rain is gonna fall my arse. IMO  Shocked  

Couldn't agree less.  I think it's one the greatest Dylan covers.

Jules

The Dylanesque album and live sessions are both excellent - check out the rest on youtube
fal de diddle

Loc: Derby

« Reply #409 on: September 14, 2013, 01:52:07 PM »

Didn't Shameless Quo play one year or was that in the village?

As hendo mentioned, Can they be classed as a tribute with a former member in them?

They played  the main stage in 2006 and the Brasenose the following year
Red Shoes (Caz+Mark)
never built a bear in my life
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Birmingham

The bass player's back !

« Reply #410 on: September 15, 2013, 01:48:15 PM »

My apologies for my badly argued rant and i don't want o go off topic but over the yrs i have wrestled with this.
I love the works of Wagner, however very dubious political views and afilliations.
I return to the poetry of Larkin regularly, I read my kids Roald Dahl stories , both of whom had very dubious personal views/behaviours.
Where does it stop? I have no probs with Bryan Ferry cos he's not expressing any political views. ( Sheen loves Chris Leslie, so far she hasn't become a buddhist! although our local buddhist temple does a very nice coffee and cake!))
Here's a quandry. I would love to bring Red Shoes to Glooston Village Hall. Glooston is in the middle of fox hunting country, it provides employment, stables, vets, feed etc etc Some of my friends hunt. We agree to differ.
I know that if I brought Red Shoes to Glooston they would sing that song, Carolyn believes passionately in it and I would have at least half an audience walk out and probably wouldn't do gigs there again/ lose some friends/ be ignored in the pub. I am still wrestling with it.

Last year we were invited to play a private venue and be joined by a musician of mega status (I'm talking on the same level as Planty) He had heard the songs and us play and we were thrilled to be asked. Then came a call "What ever you do don't perform Red Coat Ride" he's a hunter and so are many of the audience. You can have the gig if you don't do the song" hmmmm a tricky one  Shocked We declined the gig without a second thought. If the conversation had gone "it may not be a good idea to do that song" as some may be offended then I would have reconsidered. The last thing us Shoes want to do is offend or cause people to lose friendships. So far, we have had only one person walk out because of the song and raise the roof with the audience all the time. The song River Rea is far more heavy than Red Coat but we've had no objection so far  Wink

Caz

Back working on new album, with Peggy on base and a certain fiddle player who should be knighted :-)
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #411 on: September 15, 2013, 02:18:26 PM »

Like.

Well I never did..
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #412 on: September 15, 2013, 03:07:11 PM »

Like.

Yep  Smiley

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: S.W. London

One man gathers what another man spills

« Reply #413 on: September 15, 2013, 03:44:20 PM »

Check out Ferry doing Dylan - brilliant
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5x2kKRI2V4

Awful isn't it?   Does he listen to the lyrics and understand them, before committing that sound to disc?  

Hard rain is gonna fall my arse. IMO  Shocked  

Couldn't agree less.  I think it's one the greatest Dylan covers.

Jules

The Dylanesque album and live sessions are both excellent - check out the rest on youtube

Thanks, but I'm not remotely tempted.  Smiley

No Left Turn Unstoned
PeteD
They choose the path where no one goes...Gercha!

« Reply #414 on: September 16, 2013, 01:06:06 PM »

My apologies for my badly argued rant and i don't want o go off topic but over the yrs i have wrestled with this.
I love the works of Wagner, however very dubious political views and afilliations.
I return to the poetry of Larkin regularly, I read my kids Roald Dahl stories , both of whom had very dubious personal views/behaviours.
Where does it stop? I have no probs with Bryan Ferry cos he's not expressing any political views. ( Sheen loves Chris Leslie, so far she hasn't become a buddhist! although our local buddhist temple does a very nice coffee and cake!))
Here's a quandry. I would love to bring Red Shoes to Glooston Village Hall. Glooston is in the middle of fox hunting country, it provides employment, stables, vets, feed etc etc Some of my friends hunt. We agree to differ.
I know that if I brought Red Shoes to Glooston they would sing that song, Carolyn believes passionately in it and I would have at least half an audience walk out and probably wouldn't do gigs there again/ lose some friends/ be ignored in the pub. I am still wrestling with it.

Last year we were invited to play a private venue and be joined by a musician of mega status (I'm talking on the same level as Planty) He had heard the songs and us play and we were thrilled to be asked. Then came a call "What ever you do don't perform Red Coat Ride" he's a hunter and so are many of the audience. You can have the gig if you don't do the song" hmmmm a tricky one  Shocked We declined the gig without a second thought. If the conversation had gone "it may not be a good idea to do that song" as some may be offended then I would have reconsidered. The last thing us Shoes want to do is offend or cause people to lose friendships. So far, we have had only one person walk out because of the song and raise the roof with the audience all the time. The song River Rea is far more heavy than Red Coat but we've had no objection so far  Wink

Caz

Imposssible! No one is on the same level as Planty.

But then I would say that. Smiley
Red Shoes (Caz+Mark)
never built a bear in my life
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Birmingham

The bass player's back !

« Reply #415 on: September 16, 2013, 04:42:32 PM »

Caz

Imposssible! No one is on the same level as Planty.

But then I would say that. Smiley

He's just a regular guy in our neck of the woods, can't see what all the fuss is about  Grin

Back working on new album, with Peggy on base and a certain fiddle player who should be knighted :-)
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #416 on: September 16, 2013, 04:52:41 PM »

He's just a regular guy in our neck of the woods, can't see what all the fuss is about  Grin

which having had the chance of a quick chat with him a couple of times during the fantastic Priory of Brion days is what makes him so damned extraordinary.  He really is just a regular guy.  Still.  And bloody good on him... Smiley

hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #417 on: September 16, 2013, 06:34:23 PM »

which having had the chance of a quick chat with him a couple of times during the fantastic Priory of Brion days is what makes him so damned extraordinary.  He really is just a regular guy.  Still.  And bloody good on him... Smiley

So it was you and me who liked Priory of Brion then!? Shocked
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #418 on: September 16, 2013, 06:42:54 PM »

So it was you and me who liked Priory of Brion then!? Shocked

One of my favourite bands of all time...a) for the music which both Percy and I obviously share a love of, and b) for the excitement of the still just about word of mouth rather than internet based advertised gigs...all very cloak and dagger and all fabulous.  Saw them 5 times (inc Cropredy, by which point it was all over bar the shouting).  A great adventure.  

hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #419 on: September 16, 2013, 06:44:53 PM »

Only saw them at Cropredy. Loved it. Everybody I was with hated it cos they didn't know any of the material.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 24   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: