TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 19, 2024, 12:59:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Soft Ric Sanders Machine  (Read 17861 times)
Harbottle (Martin)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Coventry

Hark at me!

« on: September 10, 2006, 05:31:00 PM »

I just managed to finally get a CD of "Soft Machine Alive and Well in Paris" featured one Mr Ric Sanders on violin (I've been searching for it for a while, and it's always too expensive, but a copy came up on the marketplace for 7 quid...)...

I also managed to get "Second Vision" with Ric Sanders and John Etheridge...

Great stuff... Wonder if Ric ever feels the desire to back into some mad jazz fusion? It'd be great to see Sanders and Etheridge play together again.

"Nothing, like something, happens anywhere." - Philip Larkin
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2006, 05:55:34 PM »

I just managed to finally get a CD of "Soft Machine Alive and Well in Paris" featured one Mr Ric Sanders on violin (I've been searching for it for a while, and it's always too expensive, but a copy came up on the marketplace for 7 quid...)...

I also managed to get "Second Vision" with Ric Sanders and John Etheridge...

Great stuff... Wonder if Ric ever feels the desire to back into some mad jazz fusion? It'd be great to see Sanders and Etheridge play together again.

Both interesting albums with some fabulous playing by Ric.  I've always felt it (ie playing Jazz fusion kind of material) is what he was put on this planet to do....which is why I sometimes find it surprising that he's spent the last 30 odd years playing music that is generally considered to be (at least in origin) English folk-rock. IMHO only of course...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2006, 07:24:21 PM »

there are many who would argue that he doesnt play folk and never really stopped jazzing
 not that i'm one you understand

The Dude abides
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2006, 07:48:00 PM »

See...

http://www.talkawhile.co.uk/yabbse/index.php?topic=18636.0

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Bluebottle

Loc: High Wycombe

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2006, 12:27:55 AM »

there are many who would argue that he doesnt play folk and never really stopped jazzing
 not that i'm one you understand

and some short sighted people see that as a bad thing  Grin

Join the Campaign for Real PA Speakers!
Keith
Mostly Harmless
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Land of the Reivers, Scotland

Trying to save himself.

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2006, 08:38:30 AM »

DM and GC were (are) both jazz drummers, and I don't see too much conflict between jazz and folk, but don't forget Soft Machine were serious prog-freaks too, with a tendancy towards overblown experimentation, 19 minute live opuses, playing to fields of chilled out pot-heads and sandled, beardy people. Oh no, that's Cropredy.

Still sad about Hatfield ATN : would have liked to have seen them there Cry

Already free, and soon you can pay for it...

www.underminers.org
fat Billy(Bill)
Babycham Bill
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: deepest suffolk

may decay in direct sunlight

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2006, 09:06:30 AM »

DM and GC were (are) both jazz drummers, and I don't see too much conflict between jazz and folk, but don't forget Soft Machine were serious prog-freaks too, with a tendancy towards overblown experimentation, 19 minute live opuses, playing to fields of chilled out pot-heads and sandled, beardy people. Oh no, that's Cropredy.

you need to have been there to understand Keith, soft machine were a fine outfit, I still listen to them.
Hatfield and the north were ok, I think I saw them somewhere in london (only think!!!) my pal was into them in a big way but I always preferred soft machine.
Keith
Mostly Harmless
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Land of the Reivers, Scotland

Trying to save himself.

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2006, 09:13:17 AM »

You must have read my mind Bill. I *like* overblown prog - Yes, Rick Wakeman, ELP...but I do prefer Caravan and HATN to Soft Machine. They were probably a bit too avant garde for me.

Already free, and soon you can pay for it...

www.underminers.org
Harbottle (Martin)
Folkcorp Guru

Hark at me!

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2006, 11:56:22 AM »

I notice Maart has left a comment in Pip Pyle's condolensces book. I believe Hatfield ATN are continuing, with Mark Fletcher taking over on drums - I think he's the bloke who drummed for "The Richard Sinclair Canterbury Band" at the Coventry Jazz festival this year (Supporting Soft Machine [Legacy for pedants.]). I'd love to see a "Canterbury" equivalent of Cropredy... (Hopefully not in Canterbury, as I can't be arsed to go down there.)

I was a nipper when these bands were around, and blissfully unaware of them until I reached teenaged years.. I love Soft Machine in all its incarnations, especially Bundles. A lot of hard core Softettes seem to dislike to Jenkins era, but I quite like it - and I can see why they dislike it.

Steeleye Span's drummer played with Soft Machine [Legacy] for at least one gig  recently - I have a boot of it.

East of Eden would be good for Croppers. Jazz followed by Jig-A-Jig.

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2006, 05:01:20 PM »

I notice Maart has left a comment in Pip Pyle's condolensces book. I believe Hatfield ATN are continuing, with Mark Fletcher taking over on drums - I think he's the bloke who drummed for "The Richard Sinclair Canterbury Band" at the Coventry Jazz festival this year (Supporting Soft Machine [Legacy for pedants.]). I'd love to see a "Canterbury" equivalent of Cropredy... (Hopefully not in Canterbury, as I can't be arsed to go down there.)

East of Eden would be good for Croppers. Jazz followed by Jig-A-Jig.

There has been a few attempts at a Canterbury festival over the years.  This will have to do for now...

http://www.marlowetheatre.com/details.asp?id=370

Pity people still can't spell Daevid after all these years!  Should be a good night.

Talking of East of Eden...Dave Arbus used to own a house a friend of mine rented.  Interesting bloke...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Here To Help

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2006, 07:41:54 PM »

east of eden: **** band rescued from eternal obscurity by recording a jig

The Dude abides
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2006, 09:26:23 PM »

There has been a few attempts at a Canterbury festival over the years.

Indeed there has - the last one that I am aware of was last year, outdoors close to Faversham. I understand that not enough punters went....

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2006, 09:38:05 PM »

There has been a few attempts at a Canterbury festival over the years.

Indeed there has - the last one that I am aware of was last year, outdoors close to Faversham. I understand that not enough punters went....

Sorry - i should have been more specific...what I meant was that there have been several attempts at a 'Canterbury Sound' type festival over the years...the Canterbury Fayre that took place at Mount Ephraim Gradens started off being a vehicle for Caravan and their mates but then got taken over...great festival but not terribly well organised...the one in 2003 with Love and Ratdog amongst others was a peach.  There was actually a one dayer there this year with some popular indie-pop type combos strutting their stuff...Charlatans and Mystery Jets if I remember correctly...

Harbottle (Martin)
Folkcorp Guru

Hark at me!

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2006, 10:49:47 PM »

east of eden: **** band rescued from eternal obscurity by recording a jig

Their later proper Jazz stuff is good.

Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Here To Help

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2006, 01:31:50 PM »

i'll never know, i'll take your word for it 

The Dude abides
Harbottle (Martin)
Folkcorp Guru

Hark at me!

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2006, 08:35:12 PM »

Your loss. Stick to jigs.

Brendan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Barrow-in-Furness

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2006, 08:40:54 PM »

Some people like jazz, some people like folk, some people like both, personally I don't give a jazzing folk.

"I'm only a bag of Rags in an Overall"
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Here To Help

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2006, 12:31:28 AM »

Your loss. Stick to jigs.

not really, i saw them(east of eden) once and they were desperately awful, but as i said tried to rescue the gig with Jig a jig.
it didnt work
theres much more to life than jigs and im not sticking to anything

The Dude abides
Anna
I'll be Susan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London Colney, near St Albans, Herts

That's her, with the fluteystick...

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2006, 01:19:31 PM »

Well I think Harbottle's a lucky wotsit.  I've been vaguely looking out for that album, in a kinda "if I see it I'll buy it" sort of way.  It doesn't come up often.

Envious!

Flute player seeks ragtime band...
Harbottle (Martin)
Folkcorp Guru

Hark at me!

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2006, 08:53:53 PM »

Some people like jazz, some people like folk, some people like both, personally I don't give a jazzing folk.

LOL. Today at work I've been listening to Ralph McTell, the Esbjorn Svensson Trio (Jazz), and Jade Warrior!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: