TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 12, 2024, 09:58:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Albion Band Lives yet again!  (Read 147588 times)
PeterW

Loc: Cumbria

« Reply #240 on: February 26, 2012, 02:59:59 PM »

Much as I am interested I feel that the organisation for their inaugral tour has not been thought out well.  Ticket prices of £18.50 (both my nearest venues) are what I would expect for an established band.  They may have an established name but they also have something to live up.  I hope that they do but I feel that cheaper ticket prices and smaller venues would have encouraged more people to take a punt on them.  Releasing their CD a month ago may also have encoraged people to go because they are good, rather than out of curiosity.

While you are busy laughing at us you don't know what we are doing behind your back.
StephenGiles
much grovelling in the attic

« Reply #241 on: February 27, 2012, 02:21:36 PM »

Such negativity Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Interview with the band - listen, be positive, and half fill your glasses Smiley Smiley Smiley
http://www.allanwilkinson.co.uk/node/2209
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #242 on: February 27, 2012, 02:54:29 PM »

£18.50 is quite a stretch for a lot of people for any new band.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
StephenGiles

« Reply #243 on: February 27, 2012, 04:04:12 PM »

Really? "A lot of people" will spend a lot more than £18.50, even of their "benefits" on beer and cigarettes in a week!
Neil
About to blow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Oregon

« Reply #244 on: February 27, 2012, 04:27:54 PM »

Really? "A lot of people" will spend a lot more than £18.50, even of their "benefits" on beer and cigarettes in a week!

OK lets not start this argument please. Some would say the names in the band make it worthwhile others would say they have to prove themselves worthy of the name first in order to justify the ticket price. At the end of  the day it is down to personal choice and priorities.

Neil

Things change all the time, and they'll probably never be the same again. It's just the natural evolution of the human condition. Guy Clark
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #245 on: February 27, 2012, 04:33:30 PM »

Such negativity Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Interview with the band - listen, be positive, and half fill your glasses Smiley Smiley Smiley
http://www.allanwilkinson.co.uk/node/2209

Don't work on iPad
fstix (Michael)

Loc: Adelaide, Australia

« Reply #246 on: February 28, 2012, 09:10:04 AM »

Those reports of the CD being excellent?  They were correct.  Very much so.  Smiley   Definitely living up to the name and its history, while still adding their own mark to it.

More like I am today than I ever have been before.
Mister Keith
we need more flags and tipis
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #247 on: February 28, 2012, 09:35:48 AM »

Those reports of the CD being excellent?  They were correct.  Very much so.  Smiley   Definitely living up to the name and its history, while still adding their own mark to it.

Absolutely!  My copy arrived in the post yesterday and I'm loving it!
martin driver
I like the cut of his gibberish
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surbiton

« Reply #248 on: February 28, 2012, 10:09:33 AM »

Not got the cd yet but loving the tracks I've heard so far. Wish them a happy and successful tour
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #249 on: February 28, 2012, 11:51:38 AM »

Hallo Stephen. As per Neil's enjoining us not to get into a scrap, all I will say that, as with all new acts, I am a sceptical supporter. Indeed I reviewed their EP here and elsewhere reasonably favourably.

Frankly, £18.50 is a lot for me, and no, I'm neither on benefits, nor do I smoke. So, my personal opinion is that it's a tad more than I am willing to pay at this stage of the nascent career of this version of the band.

I look forward to hearing the CD and, indeed, wish them a happy and successful tour.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
StephenGiles

« Reply #250 on: February 28, 2012, 01:15:50 PM »

No scrap intended Andy, I'll post a report of the Croydon gig afterwards.
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #251 on: February 28, 2012, 02:06:57 PM »

It is an interesting discussion though - the Albion Christmas Band last year were selling tickets at the £12 - £15 mark with an established lineup and following. One can go and see bands who graced the Cropredy mainstage such as Travelling Band or Ahab in clubs / pub upper rooms (the likes of the Jericho, Oxford or Hare and Hounds, Birmingham) for £12 or so, for a band which is likley to be successful on its live following rather than album sales an £18.50 price tag for a first tour seems a strange management decision. I really hope it works and they get decent houses but wonder where their audience will come from at that price.

DW
Peter Taylor

Loc: Bolton

« Reply #252 on: February 28, 2012, 02:57:16 PM »

Just looked at Stockport Plaza for March 27th - looks like there are only 8 tickets sold so far!!!!
Neil
About to blow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Oregon

« Reply #253 on: February 28, 2012, 05:36:38 PM »

It is an interesting discussion though - the Albion Christmas Band last year were selling tickets at the £12 - £15 mark with an established lineup and following. One can go and see bands who graced the Cropredy mainstage such as Travelling Band or Ahab in clubs / pub upper rooms (the likes of the Jericho, Oxford or Hare and Hounds, Birmingham) for £12 or so, for a band which is likley to be successful on its live following rather than album sales an £18.50 price tag for a first tour seems a strange management decision. I really hope it works and they get decent houses but wonder where their audience will come from at that price.

DW

The general discussion would be interesting but not necessarily here and without the assumptions in the original reply to Andy. Maybe someone could begin it elsewhere on the board.

Neil

Things change all the time, and they'll probably never be the same again. It's just the natural evolution of the human condition. Guy Clark
Shelley
satisfactory with some very good aspects
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Manchester

Give me some dots to follow and I'll be fine!

« Reply #254 on: February 29, 2012, 07:38:41 AM »

Only 8 sold at Stockport Plaza?  I hope sales pick up.  I'll be buying mine soon.

16 Apr - Todmorden Folk Festival; 18 May - Midway Folk Club, Stockport; 30 Apr - Tideswell Food Festival; 5 June - Manchester Histories Festival; 3 July - West Wycombe Park
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #255 on: February 29, 2012, 08:31:30 AM »

This tour is an interesting management decision. If i am right in thinking then Ashley stopped the Albions as they no longer had an audience or he couldn't find suitable venues. I won't go over old ground but he present band are a new band (possibly a very god,exciting new band) and need to build up a following through initially smaller gigs. INHO I am seeing v good bands for between £5 and £10.
Sorry i realise I have just written the blindingly obvious.
Andy Tuck
A creme egg moment
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Leicester

Dolphins are Evil They Eat Kittens...

« Reply #256 on: February 29, 2012, 09:09:38 AM »

This tour is an interesting management decision. If i am right in thinking then Ashley stopped the Albions as they no longer had an audience or he couldn't find suitable venues. I won't go over old ground but he present band are a new band (possibly a very god,exciting new band) and need to build up a following through initially smaller gigs. INHO I am seeing v good bands for between £5 and £10.
Sorry i realise I have just written the blindingly obvious.

Totally agree, as said before I was shocked when I tried to book them and was told the Musician (cap 220) was too small. I think they may well regret the choice to play larger venues and charge too much.

Still listening to the telepathic pirate radio show from the flying teapot.....
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #257 on: February 29, 2012, 09:53:15 AM »

As I said weeks ago, I was shocked when they announced a tour of venues, some of which Fairport can't even fill. If the ticket sales in Stockport and Worthing are anything to go by they could live to regret this act of hubris. Somebody is going to take a financial bath.

I am still planning to go along but have no fear of not being able to get a ticket on the door.
Albion.Al

Loc: Leeds

Nothing on much of the time !!!

« Reply #258 on: March 01, 2012, 10:50:33 AM »

Friday nights gig scheduled for St Georges Hall in Bradford as been moved to the Studio a smaller 200 seat venue next to the city's Alhambra theatre !!!

Alan

Duncan McFarlane Band for Cropredy !!!!
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #259 on: March 01, 2012, 11:25:05 AM »

Friday nights gig scheduled for St Georges Hall in Bradford as been moved to the Studio a smaller 200 seat venue next to the city's Alhambra theatre !!!

Alan

ah! a hefty dose of realism must have been applied

The Dude abides
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: