TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 10, 2024, 12:04:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New RT Double cd  (Read 44407 times)
Tim Fletcher
Spotify hasn't heard of him either!
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London - almost Muswell Hill!

« Reply #60 on: September 05, 2010, 11:06:07 PM »

As has just been pointed out on the Word Magazine site this has just entered the UK album charts at no 20. I think a small ripple of polite applause may be in order.

http://www.wordmagazine.co.uk/content/word-cover-star-uk-chart-shocker

I really must get around to thinking up something witty and urbane to put here.
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #61 on: September 06, 2010, 01:46:21 PM »

I found a copy of the 2 cd edition at my local HMV. I've listened to the acoustic disc and there's some great stuff. RT in fine form with some splendidly gloomy lyrics. I suspect that I may end up preferring some of the songs in acoustic rather than electric form but I haven't sat down and given disc 1 a proper listen yet.

Re the packaging, is it really necessary to have a cardboard sleeve over the plastic case? Seems a bit wasteful to me.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #62 on: September 06, 2010, 01:48:21 PM »

Cor blimey guv'nor, 's'rather nice, this album.

[attachment deleted by admin]

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #63 on: September 07, 2010, 04:24:20 PM »

Just finished listening to it, it's another good 'un I'm afraid !
Penguin (Dunc)
O RLY?
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Royton, Lancashire

The Wrong Side of Weird!

« Reply #64 on: September 07, 2010, 04:48:12 PM »

Damn!

I was hoping for negative reviews - Hey ho, it's off to Amazon then...............  Wink

It Doesn't Stop Being Magic Just Because You Know How It's Done!
Greg

Loc: Faversham...for now...

« Reply #65 on: September 07, 2010, 05:04:54 PM »

For what it's worth, I don't like it as much as Sweet Warrior...

But it's still amazing!  Can't stop listening to Sidney Wells...

Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #66 on: September 07, 2010, 05:08:12 PM »

Damn!

I was hoping for negative reviews - Hey ho, it's off to Amazon then...............  Wink
There's a pretty negative review in "Q" (Just two stars) but all the others I've seen have been good.

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #67 on: September 07, 2010, 07:06:31 PM »

For what it's worth, I don't like it as much as Sweet Warrior...

But it's still amazing!  Can't stop listening to Sidney Wells...

For old-school FC and RT fans, Sidney Wells sounds like the illegitimate offspring of "Last Night's Fun", the first tune of "Dirty Linen." You keep half-expecting it to break into the second tune "Paddy On The Railroad," the one with the fast bass...brilliant !
Alan Ewart

Loc: Broadstone

« Reply #68 on: September 10, 2010, 02:40:32 PM »

I found a copy of the 2 cd edition at my local HMV. I've listened to the acoustic disc and there's some great stuff. RT in fine form with some splendidly gloomy lyrics. I suspect that I may end up preferring some of the songs in acoustic rather than electric form but I haven't sat down and given disc 1 a proper listen yet.

Re the packaging, is it really necessary to have a cardboard sleeve over the plastic case? Seems a bit wasteful to me.

There was me thinking I would be in a minority of one.  I really like the album, the band are tight and the decision to record it in front of a live audience is a brave one.  Some excellent well written songs and the band are tight.  I am finding myself playing the ,"Guitar and vocal demos" disc much more than the electric one.

I think 'here comes Geordie', Demons in her dancing shoes' and 'Sidney Wells' translate especially well in this more stripped back format  Smiley

Excellent album
Mr Cat (Lewis)
Probably bad form to quote yourself
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Vancouver, BC Canada

« Reply #69 on: September 10, 2010, 04:49:09 PM »

So far I like the acoustic set far more than the band set.  I would be interested to find out who the Geordie who isn't Sting is who sings in a fake Jamaican accent, has a high opinion of himself, wants to save the world and can't act his way out of a paper bag..

I suspect the electric set will grow on me: shame no north west coast dates to see the songs live..

Thank Drunk I'm God
MikeB (Mike)
never singing Cousin Jack again
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Edinburgh again

The world is not my home, I'm just passing through

« Reply #70 on: September 10, 2010, 04:55:30 PM »

I would be interested to find out who the Geordie who isn't Sting is who sings in a fake Jamaican accent, has a high opinion of himself, wants to save the world and can't act his way out of a paper bag..

Gazza?
Bob Barrows
Give me time ... it will wear on me
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Auburn, MA USA

Bob

« Reply #71 on: September 10, 2010, 05:03:09 PM »

I would be interested to find out who the Geordie who isn't Sting is who sings in a fake Jamaican accent, has a high opinion of himself, wants to save the world and can't act his way out of a paper bag..

Gazza?
You mean this guy?
MikeB (Mike)
never singing Cousin Jack again
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Edinburgh again

The world is not my home, I'm just passing through

« Reply #72 on: September 10, 2010, 05:09:59 PM »

That's the fellow. He did a god-awful cover of Fog on the Tyne and I think he's been in some TV movies.
jaypeter (Peter)
ROFLMAFLOFLEBLOF
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #73 on: September 10, 2010, 05:13:27 PM »

Gazza?
You mean this guy?

That's the chap, Bob. When he was at the height of his fame/notoriety, a judge famously asked "Who is Mr Paul Gascoigne?" When told that the bloke was a footballer, His Honour replied " Association Football, or Rugby Football?" (In England, Rugby is a more upper-class sport than what you call soccer.) I understand that this is not the case in the other, equally important countries with which we share the island of Great Britain.
Mr Cat (Lewis)
Probably bad form to quote yourself
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Vancouver, BC Canada

« Reply #74 on: September 10, 2010, 05:15:40 PM »

Gazza may have been a big head, but I do not recall him singing in a Jamaican accent, trying to save the world or appearing on stage: perhaps I missed the production of Julius Caesar with Gazza as Mark Anthony and Peter Shilton as Cassius..?

Thank Drunk I'm God
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #75 on: September 10, 2010, 05:43:34 PM »

I suspect the electric set will grow on me: shame no north west coast dates to see the songs live..

A couple of by-numbers* rockers to be sure, but a good few of the electric versions are already entrenched as absolutely essential RT workouts - Sidney Wells, for one. Big Sun Falling In The River could be the next Crowded House single.  

*of course RT's numbers are on a slightly different plane to the rest of ours.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Andy Tuck
A creme egg moment
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Leicester

Dolphins are Evil They Eat Kittens...

« Reply #76 on: September 11, 2010, 10:18:46 AM »

Not being a great RT fan I wasn't sure what to expect. But, I've really enjoyed the full band version, very rocky and surprisingly uplifting, definitely a good hour plus of listening. Though against the general concensus I find the acoustic versions rather depressing and downbeat (apart from Sydney Wells, which is the standout track) but, still prefer the full version.

Glad I've got the full version, a very good album, but, personally I wouldn't bother with the pared down versions.

Still listening to the telepathic pirate radio show from the flying teapot.....
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #77 on: September 11, 2010, 05:38:23 PM »

I am finding myself playing the ,"Guitar and vocal demos" disc much more than the electric one.

Listening to the demos again this morning I reckon that if he'd got Danny to play some double bass on tracks like Haul Me Up and maybe Debra Dobkin to add some percussion, it could have been a new acoustic studio album with a bonus live disc!

It says much about his talent that something he calls a demos cd is what I'm sure many singer songwriters would be happy to release as a finished studio album.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Alan Ewart

Loc: Broadstone

« Reply #78 on: September 12, 2010, 12:09:10 PM »

I am finding myself playing the ,"Guitar and vocal demos" disc much more than the electric one.

Listening to the demos again this morning I reckon that if he'd got Danny to play some double bass on tracks like Haul Me Up and maybe Debra Dobkin to add some percussion, it could have been a new acoustic studio album with a bonus live disc!

It says much about his talent that something he calls a demos cd is what I'm sure many singer songwriters would be happy to release as a finished studio album.

I couldnt agree more, a superb album IMHO.  Cant wait to hear dancing shoes and Sidney Wells live  Grin
StephenGiles
much grovelling in the attic

« Reply #79 on: September 13, 2010, 08:48:25 PM »

There's some good ole Ashley Hutchings 8 to the bar bass playing in 'Demons in her dancing shoes' - in fact in a couple of places it sounds a little like the 1976 Albion Dance Band during the tune at the end!!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: