TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 04, 2024, 01:51:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Golden Anniversary Gig  (Read 83647 times)
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #80 on: May 24, 2017, 09:58:01 AM »

This is what was said in the November newsletter:

"In May, we’ve got something really special lined up for you. Fifty years to the day – almost to the hour, in fact – since the band’s Golders Green debut Fairport Convention returns to north London for a Golden Anniversary Gig. This celebration of our past, present and future will take place at The Union Chapel, Highbury N1 on Saturday 27 May 2017. Keep an eye on our website for box office information and details of the musical guests."

Has anyone raised this on the FB Fairporters' page? On the surface of it that does look like a massive volte face.  Huh

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #81 on: May 24, 2017, 10:19:41 AM »

"In May, we’ve got something really special lined up for you. Fifty years to the day – almost to the hour, in fact – since the band’s Golders Green debut Fairport Convention returns to north London for a Golden Anniversary Gig. This celebration of our past, present and future will take place at The Union Chapel, Highbury N1 on Saturday 27 May 2017. Keep an eye on our website for box office information and details of the musical guests."

Has anyone raised this on the FB Fairporters' page? On the surface of it that does look like a massive volte face.  Huh

I guess one could argue that the current set list and the 50:50 album is a celebration of the band's past present and future and there are no promises of who the musical gusts may be - but I agree it does seem to be throwing out a line for which some have taken the bait. A rare occasion where Fairport have maybe kicked a PR own goal and possibly alienated the devotees.

I am sure the gig will be a good one but if it is a - slightly revamped - take on the Spring tour folks who have spent money on tickets. accommodation, travel etc for what was promised as "something really special" have a right to feel a bit hard done by. BUT lets wait until the reviews come in, Fairport still have the ability to surprise and Simon's comments may be about managing expectations.

DW
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #82 on: May 24, 2017, 12:45:42 PM »

I'm still waiting for the band to ask me to take my (bass) uke...  Wink

Uke?  He did mention musical guests Wink

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #83 on: May 24, 2017, 03:08:58 PM »

Could someone direct me to this page please?
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: S.W. London

One man gathers what another man spills

« Reply #84 on: May 24, 2017, 03:57:33 PM »

It's not pretty David.
My wife joined, read some comments, entered a conversation, got sworn at -  and left!  Grin

No Left Turn Unstoned
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #85 on: May 24, 2017, 04:13:48 PM »

It's not pretty David.
My wife joined, read some comments, entered a conversation, got sworn at -  and left!  Grin
That would seem to be the norm for Facebook these days  Sad

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #86 on: May 24, 2017, 05:21:14 PM »

Well, it's the page entitled "Fairporters" on Facebook.

I don't think there's much to be gained from embarassing Simon there, though. I'm pretty sure he neither wrote nor read the Newsletter contents and he'd be rather surprised  at this statement.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #87 on: May 24, 2017, 07:54:25 PM »

Just to be clear, I wasn't suggesting that someone did raise the point, I was asking if anyone had. This may have been an unfortunate instance of someone taking their eye off the ball if an operation quite as 'cottage industry' as the FC office put out something saying they had something 'really special' lined up in their official newsletter only for one of the proprietors to say, closer to the event and with ticket sales secured, that there "may be" some input from friends of the band. With respect, I think any conclusions about the nature of the show weren't necessarily 'leapt to' on our part.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #88 on: May 24, 2017, 08:23:01 PM »

Just to be clear, I wasn't suggesting that someone did raise the point, I was asking if anyone had. This may have been an unfortunate instance of someone taking their eye off the ball if an operation quite as 'cottage industry' as the FC office put out something saying they had something 'really special' lined up in their official newsletter only for one of the proprietors to say, closer to the event and with ticket sales secured, that there "may be" some input from friends of the band. With respect, I think any conclusions about the nature of the show weren't necessarily 'leapt to' on our part.

Spot on.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Andy
Global Moderator

« Reply #89 on: May 24, 2017, 11:23:16 PM »

Well we'll find out soon enough.

We have a spare ticket, by the way, for "unreserved seating", so if anyone is interested (asking face value: £26 ) IM me.

Dubai Danny
my MIL likes it loud

Loc: Here

« Reply #90 on: May 26, 2017, 10:57:49 AM »

Just downloaded our tickets, and this is what they say...

Edit: External image removed

I'm not expecting a Cropredy-style cavalcade of guests, but it would seem a bit odd to call it a "50th birthday party + friends" if it's just going to be the same gig that could be seen on any night of the wintour.

I think everybody's expectation has been for this to be a bit more special than simply a regular FC gig that just happens to be fifty years to the day of their very first one - would that be a reasonable summation?
PJayBe

« Reply #91 on: May 26, 2017, 12:13:20 PM »

Just downloaded our tickets, and this is what they say...

I'm not expecting a Cropredy-style cavalcade of guests, but it would seem a bit odd to call it a "50th birthday party + friends" if it's just going to be the same gig that could be seen on any night of the wintour.

I think everybody's expectation has been for this to be a bit more special than simply a regular FC gig that just happens to be fifty years to the day of their very first one - would that be a reasonable summation?

That was my thought when booking, booking time off work, booking hotels, etc, etc, etc........  Huh
Andy
Global Moderator

« Reply #92 on: May 26, 2017, 12:17:39 PM »

As well as our spare ticket for this event, we also have a spare ticket for the Pink Floyd Exhibition at the V&A. Time slot: 11:15 Sunday.

Face value wanted: £26

Email me at andrewjohnleslie@gmail.com if you are interested.

https://www.vam.ac.uk/exhibitions/pink-floyd

Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #93 on: May 26, 2017, 12:46:26 PM »

As well as our spare ticket for this event, we also have a spare ticket for the Pink Floyd Exhibition at the V&A. Time slot: 11:15 Sunday.

Face value wanted: £26

Email me at andrewjohnleslie@gmail.com if you are interested.

https://www.vam.ac.uk/exhibitions/pink-floyd
I wish I could go. I know that's no help to you at all Andy but I'd really like to go to both!

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
giottoscircle (Robert)
Water pistoled at the Sooty Show

Loc: Leeds

« Reply #94 on: May 26, 2017, 09:12:47 PM »

Never been to a gig at Union Chapel but reading here about getting seats, so:
How early do I need to queue to get a good seat? Don't need front row but like to be close enough to have a good stab at who the "friends" are.
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« Reply #95 on: May 26, 2017, 09:29:50 PM »

How early do I need to queue to get a good seat? Don't need front row but like to be close enough to have a good stab at who the "friends" are.
I reckon 30-45 mins before the doors open should get you a decent seat. Mind you, I don't think that there are any really bad seats (just hard on the posterior!)
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

Loc: Essex

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #96 on: May 26, 2017, 09:31:39 PM »

I reckon 30-45 mins before the doors open should get you a decent seat. Mind you, I don't think that there are any really bad seats (just hard on the posterior!)

Take a cushion...  Wink

....may my love be your protector; and walk with you 'til next we meet
R.McTell - An Irish Blessing.
Dubai Danny
my MIL likes it loud

« Reply #97 on: May 27, 2017, 07:33:18 PM »

The crowd assembles...

Edit: Great photo, but sorry no hot linking. Attach using 'Aditional Options..' Colin
Tim Fletcher
Spotify hasn't heard of him either!
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London - almost Muswell Hill!

« Reply #98 on: May 27, 2017, 07:37:11 PM »

The view from the gods.

[attachment deleted by admin]

I really must get around to thinking up something witty and urbane to put here.
Dubai Danny
my MIL likes it loud

« Reply #99 on: May 28, 2017, 12:12:09 AM »

Well, that was OK. Not great, and not a particular celebration of 50 years - the setlist wasn't much to shout about - but OK. But then, this was the first time I've seen the band since Cropredy 2007, so there was a certain novelty value to it.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: